Child Dies: Heavy Metal Poisoning

dennisr

Registered
This caught my attention, child died because of lead poisoning, sad and tragic deal. No regulation for toxic stuff?

http://www.perfil.com/sociedad/Murio-el-chico-que-habia-inhalado-purpurina-en-Santiago-del-Estero-20141109-0034.html
http://www.perfil.com/sociedad/Hacia-la-tarea-y-aspiro-purpurina-esta-grave-y-sin-esperanzas-20141023-0042.html

Apparently, the stuff is used to make the metallic finish in paint, so it is totally legal.
I suppose he put it in the whistle to see the metallic dust sparkle in the air.

Clearly, this is the parents' fault, however I doubt the people knew about the toxicity of this stuff and about keeping it out of reach from children.
My thoughts on this in general is that there is a lower awareness on danger and dangerous stuff here, but if you don't know the stuff you can't perceive the danger associated with it.

For example I am surprised by the quantity of young people who suffered of polio in tender age. I have never seen anybody under the age of 40 with polio in Italy! And it is a pretty rare stuff. But here in 6 months I already saw 5 people with consequences of polio, and half of them were below 15 years old.

Apparently, the stuff is used to make the metallic finish in paint, so it is totally legal.

Clearly, this is the parents' fault, however I doubt the people knew about the toxicity of this stuff and about keeping it out of reach from children.
My thoughts on this in general is that there is a lower awareness on danger and dangerous stuff here, but if you don't know the stuff you can't perceive the danger associated with it.

For example I am surprised by the quantity of young people who suffered of polio in tender age. I have never seen anybody under the age of 40 with polio in Italy! And it is a pretty rare stuff. But here in 6 months I already saw 5 people with consequences of polio, and half of them were below 15 years old.

A sad accident, but it comes down to poverty i`m afraid, the glitter was obviously a toxic form rather than non-toxic that is widely available elsewhere but like many things here theyre cheaply imported and often dangerous. There doesnt seem to be any control of what comes into the country and allowed to be sold in cheap markets. They care about how many dollars or if you`ve got an iphone, but when it comes to child safety its back in the dark ages. I`m amazed at some of the crap my kids are given in goody bags here at birthday parties. On a couple of occasions i`ve found laser pens and pistols that fire plastic bolts with suction cups on. I have to ask my Argentine wife if people are completely ignorant of safety here?
As for polio, vaccinations at an early age cost money, have to remember many millions of people in Argentina live below the poverty line.

This caught my attention, child died because of lead poisoning, sad and tragic deal. No regulation for toxic stuff?

http://www.perfil.com/sociedad/Murio-el-chico-que-habia-inhalado-purpurina-en-Santiago-del-Estero-20141109-0034.html
http://www.perfil.com/sociedad/Hacia-la-tarea-y-aspiro-purpurina-esta-grave-y-sin-esperanzas-20141023-0042.html

Argentina prefers to let the invisible hand work its market magic.

As for polio, vaccinations at an early age cost money, have to remember many millions of people in Argentina live below the poverty line.

Vaccinations are free in Argentina. Simply need to show DNI at the vacunatorio. We even did it with a foreign passport before our daughter was a resident. There is also a campaign for kids of 1-4 years to be vaccinated with an extra dose for polio. http://www.msal.gov....article/445��We did this for our daughter at the vaccination center at the private hospital (They all offer free to vaccination to all...not just those with private medical coverage).

In addition, they offered vaccinations at the jardin (day care). Both ours and our cleaning person's jardin offered it (not an issue of wealthy privilege). Our experience has been quite positive. I might be more worried about the US where the anti-vaccination zealots are helping cause measles outbreaks, etc.

I won't disagree on your other points. :)

Polio vaccine is just a drop with sweet taste and free of charge. It is sad to know about children with polio in Argentina nowadays, probably because of ignorance.

Vaccinations are free in Argentina. Simply need to show DNI at the vacunatorio. We even did it with a foreign passport before our daughter was a resident. There is also a campaign for kids of 1-4 years to be vaccinated with an extra dose for polio. http://www.msal.gov....article/445��We did this for our daughter at the vaccination center at the private hospital (They all offer free to vaccination to all...not just those with private medical coverage).

In addition, they offered vaccinations at the jardin (day care). Both ours and our cleaning person's jardin offered it (not an issue of wealthy privilege). Our experience has been quite positive. I might be more worried about the US where the anti-vaccination zealots are helping cause measles outbreaks, etc.

I won't disagree on your other points. :)
Are all vaccinations free of charge if you show a DNI? Even temporary resident?

jajajaj Serafina :D ,,, this was thread about the Purpurina which is widely used powder for handicrafts/manualidades greeting cards etc. You turned into a Polio vaccination discussion, requires a new thread :wub:

I apologize, I just wanted to express the fact that I believe Argentinians are not fearless, just ignorant. As a result things like deaths by Purpurina and crippled children due to polio happen.
I am sure sure there are many "invisible" scarred children due this lack of knowledge.

Back