Chili Powder

mini said:
Ok, I think we have some confusion:

Chile pepper & chile powder are not the same thing.

well thanks , I had no idea... :p

Well, so it seems that in the UK chile powder is just be any plain Capsicum (spicy) pepper ground into a powder and US/Mexican chile powder is a mix of peppers and spices.

Which one does the OP want? :D

I live in Recoleta and I have purchased the ají or ají molido from the Bolivian women that sell veggies on the street and have found it to be decently spicy. The same women also have chiles!!! Just ask them for the most picante thing they have.

mini said:
Well, so it seems that in the UK chile powder is just be any plain Capsicum (spicy) pepper ground into a powder and US/Mexican chile powder is a mix of peppers and spices.

do you use this US/mexican mix in specific dishes? does it taste a lot different to the plain peper?

katti said:
do you use this US/mexican mix in specific dishes? does it taste a lot different to the plain peper?

Yes. It tastes different.

US/Mex chile powder is a mix of various dried and/or smoked pepper like ancho, poblano, chiplote, cayenne, etc PLUS cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, etc in various combinations. U/M Chile powder comes in version from mild, medium, hot. US/Mex mix is used in Chile (beans), Chile con Carne, and a as a rub on meat, in tamales, in red sauce, whatever.

Indian/UK chile powder is just hot red pepper like cayenne.

mini said:

The US/Mexican style. Worst case, I could try to convince my friend to bring down a bottle of McCormick's (with the stuff she's already bringing, we kind of owe her for LIFE already), but that stuff always runs out, so it would be nice to figure out just what we can find here, and what makes a good mix.

orwellian said:
china town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV1NjyCsp4o

"CHINATOWN" -Luna

in the tiny tiny hours
(be) tween the evening and the day
we have placed our final bets
we have come out to play
fancy drinks a lucky toasts
i like this time the most

you're out all night
chasin' girlies
you're late to work
and you go home earlies

lookin' lost in chinatown
why are we hidin' from our friends
rushing 'round in taxi cabs
is it time to make amends
you'll get yours and i'll get mine
you can't be lucky all the time

you're out all night
chasin' girlies
you're late to work
and you go home earlies

mikew, I'd recommend going to Barrio Chino. The markets there have aisles and aisles of spices. If I recall correctly, I think I had a hard time finding chili powder. Cayenne isn't a problem to find. But that darker chili powder way. I think I had to compromise at the one store I was at and get an aji molido that was lighter then the color I was used to.

I'm about to create a post regarding onion powder. I can find small flakes, but not in powdered form. Thus far, I feel like I need to put all the flakes in a blender and hope they turn to powder.

Casa China has onion powder...there is a "wall" of spices between the 2 main sections of the store, and it´s there. :)

no US style chili powder in bario china, either ask for it from home or look up how to make it online but you can't buy it here :( crossing my fingers I don't run out before either I go home or someone else comes hese!

Back