Chili Powder

BaltRochGirl said:
no US style chili powder in bario china, either ask for it from home or look up how to make it online but you can't buy it here :( crossing my fingers I don't run out before either I go home or someone else comes hese!
I bought the McCormicks [sp] at Disco in Punta Chica in the import section. Might be available at other locations????? If you find it, buy out the shelf because it won't reappear for a year. Good luck.

hi Im an Argentinean chilly lover my self and I know how dificult could be in here
well if you want Paprika try "pimenton picante" almost every chino had one but remember "picante no dulce" or you can try "locoto en polvo" you can get this one, asking at "las verdulerias" also you can get some imported chilly powder at Jumbo supermarket or disco

oxente! said:
I live in Recoleta and I have purchased the ají or ají molido from the Bolivian women that sell veggies on the street and have found it to be decently spicy. The same women also have chiles!!! Just ask them for the most picante thing they have.

There's a Verduleria/Fruit stand on Ayacucho between Corrientes & Lavalle that regularly has Red Jalepeños, except that they don't know the word "jalepeño". They call it them "picantes". (Sometimes I wonder if everyone here thinks that everything in the world originates from Argentina.)

Anyway, these things are hot. Picantisimo! And I've lived in Texas and California. (But not India or Thailand.) They're hot.

Hi Mini I also wanted chilli powder here. Being english I miss a good curry :0) The best place Ihave found is called El Gato Negro (The Black Cat) on correntez http://www.elgatonegronet.com.ar/home.htm. it also has alittle cafe inside. The smell when you walk in is amazing and youll find all you need in there.

hola, mikew!! If this is who I think it is...if not hola anyway. I think that mini's suggesting of getting a mix of chilis to try and combine flavors, making adding some ají molido ground and cayenne as well along with the other spices. They might not be the exact chilis but a mix would be better than straight ají. It's not the heat as much as it is the flavor that´s hard to achieve. Since your wife is a cooking genius, really, no really, she IS! I think you all can manage putting together a mix!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

I brought a coffee grinder down to grind hard spices. If you have a transformer, and I know you do, I'll come over with it and we can grind!!

If you have already made it, please report on the results.

Yep, Em, you got me. =)

Anyways, for the moment, we're fine, because I still have some packets left over from when I brought them back from the US back in July... it's usually too spicy for the Mrs. to eat, so that makes the delicious chili ALL MINE.

Hope you and Leon are doing good! We have to get together again sometime soon.

Back