Chinese And Mexican Food

La Fabrica del Taco I think is the best Mexican place.

For Chinese - I think Hong Kong Style is quite good - better than 90% of the Chinese restaurants I've been to in the states. They have dim sum, and its pretty good. Their hot and sour soup is awesome. The service at HKS is fantastic.

We can beat this dead cat again ...

I have yet to find really good Chinese food here - not even in Barrio Chino. There were at least 10 great restaurants in Philly that had superior Chinese food and probably 30 in San Diego (to give my reference points). We won't even get started on Russian, Polish, Italian, German, Japanese, Thai, etc, etc.

The same goes for Mexican food. I've tried almost all of the taco joints in Palermo Soho and Hollywood. I would rate them so-so. If you've just got to get Mexican then they'll pass for the moment. There is a place on Cabildo about 1400 or so called Molé. It passes for edible Mexican but just the molé.

There is A LOT I love about Buenos Aires. One of it's significant drawbacks is the lack of latitude in the palate and food options. I don't even bother to offer my Argentine friends something as benign as black pepper, god forbid!

I hate hate HATED Molé, but I guess some people like it! I'm from California, love mexican, love tex-mex... molé totally let me down. the only good part was teh guacamole, which I can make equally good at home. Also Xalapa in Palermo Soho was a huge let down. I've heard Maria Felix is "the best" Mexican in BA and with a price tag to match. The good thing about the 'variety' of ethnic foods is that it inspires you to learn to cook!

La Fabrica del Taco I think is the best Mexican place.

For Chinese - I think Hong Kong Style is quite good - better than 90% of the Chinese restaurants I've been to in the states. They have dim sum, and its pretty good. Their hot and sour soup is awesome. The service at HKS is fantastic.

Fabrica del Taco, another let-down for me! it's really a trendy thing to eat there. I loved the amount of spiciness (don't know how they sell it to the locals though) but the price to amount ratio was appalling. We got our tacos to go so I guess it would be better to eat there because of the chic ambience.

For Chinese, I really loved Tai Pei restaurant on Cabildo in the far north of Nuñez, just past Fortín Salteño on cnr Deheza.

For Mexican food, I tried Frida Kahlo in Belgrano once, and it was really excellent. It was not tex-mex, but authentic Mexican (except with a salsa that was watered down for Argentine tastes). There's also a sort of Tex-Mex place, new, in Caballito on Pedro Goyena called Mexico DF, and from the menu, I think they serve a mixture of authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex. I haven't got around to trying the place, but it is always full on the weekends. It might be worth a try as it was also recommended in La Nacion. As far as Chinese goes, I've yet to try something amazing. But I have tried some Korean places that I thought were pretty good.

The closest good Mexican food I know of is Plaza Garibaldi in Santiago: https://www.facebook.com/pgaribaldi
The mole is really excellent, and the margaritas are strong.

Fabrica del Taco, another let-down for me! it's really a trendy thing to eat there. I loved the amount of spiciness (don't know how they sell it to the locals though) but the price to amount ratio was appalling. We got our tacos to go so I guess it would be better to eat there because of the chic ambience.

For Chinese, I really loved Tai Pei restaurant on Cabildo in the far north of Nuñez, just past Fortín Salteño on cnr Deheza.

In Buenos Aires, Fábrica del Taco passes for adequate.

I tried Molé over a year ago and swore I would never go back. In a desperate moment for Mex we went again. It has gotten better. I don't know if you're taste buds will agree but given that your new here I thought this would help. In case your really hung out to dry Jumbo has Mexican food that you can cook in you're house.

Back