clamping down on perma-tourists

steveinbsas said:
Working on the internet while here on a tourist visa isn't illegal...

It isn't? Are you sure? Working on a tourist visa AFAIK is not allowed. But I'm never surprised to be wrong, 'round here....

Lee said:
Yes...I get your point...BUT if there is no actual law then it is all hot air and one can never actually be denied entry...only threatened.

Right?

Not necessarily.

There is a big difference between law and policy.

Besides, this isn't the USA.

(Where do you think you are, Yankee?)

ReemsterCARP said:
AFAIK is an abbreviation for the line: as far as i know

Thanks!!

But what is the abbreviation for: I've been deported?

Sooner or later it's going to happen.

Arrogance of perma-tourists, notwithstanding.

atwok said:
lots of people have thought of this and suggested it in other threads.

it does not work

when you enter the country you will see that they look throught your passport, but they are not looking at how many stamps you have, they are looking to see if you have any denied entry stamps, as this is something they would have to investigate further.

to check how many times you have entered the country they put your name and date of birth into the computer and this gives them all the information they want. so even if you have no stamps in your passport, even if you have dual nationality and alternate passports....they know.

they are not stupid

are you sure about this? i was told that immigrations does not keep records of how many times a person overstays their visa. i was actually told this off the record by an immigrations employee, of course, this was a number of years ago. things may have changed by now.

also, what exactly is a denied entry stamp? are you referring to when the immigrations employee writes a string of digits right underneath the stamp in your passport, which signifies that you have overstayed your visa?

redrum said:
are you sure about this? i was told that immigrations does not keep records of how many times a person overstays their visa. i was actually told this off the record by an immigrations employee, of course, this was a number of years ago. things may have changed by now.

also, what exactly is a denied entry stamp? are you referring to when the immigrations employee writes a string of digits right underneath the stamp in your passport, which signifies that you have overstayed your visa?

I am not sure, but I think that they have better methods of record keeping.

If they don't, perhaps a new passport is the answer, after all.

redrum said:

yes, i am sure about this.

you seem to have misunderstood my post. a denied entry stamp is what they stamp in your passport if you are denied entry into a country. it has nothing to do with overstaying. and to be honest is kind of irrelevant to this thread

the point i was trying to make in relation to an earlier post is that getting a new passport so they wont see all the previous stamps is a pointles waste of time. when you present your passport they put your name/date of birth into a computer and they can see how many times you have entered the country. so thinking that showing them a new empty passport is somehow going to make them think this is your first time here is wrong. this i know for a fact

as to them keeping track of how many times you have overstayed i have no idea

As I said before, they are not stupid and even though BHO is now the prez in the US, this is their country and it looks like they are getting tired of Yankees abusing the system.

Back