Coming Soon To A Dinner Table Near You! ALL the food you crave from home!

There are fewer imports in the supermarkets than ever before. A 150g bag Herr's kettle chips is $26 now, used to be about $14. I used to buy a small bag of brazilian bubblegum for $3.50, stopped buying a long time ago but they're now $11.50. Twining's orange pekoe is now $40 for 25 bags..... How is this going to ever happen???

CarverFan said:
There are fewer imports in the supermarkets than ever before. A 150g bag Herr's kettle chips is $26 now, used to be about $14. I used to buy a small bag of brazilian bubblegum for $3.50, stopped buying a long time ago but they're now $11.50. Twining's orange pekoe is now $40 for 25 bags..... How is this going to ever happen???

The same thing I've been thinking...

I agree... Have you done any research into the practicalities of this BAFinance or is it still in the initial stages?
I'll quite often go into some of the more upmarket wine shops here and see kettle chips (and other US brand chips), US-brand cookies, mustard, lindt chocolate etc at such a ludicrous mark-up that even if I was craving those particular products, there is no way I'd buy them at x3 the price of a foreign supermarket.
The Argentine equivalents of many of the UK products that I crave are already more expensive than the UK versions...so even paying a "little bit more" for salt and vinegar Walkers crisps, for example, wouldn't price them much above a bag of cheetos.
I think this is going to be one of your main obstacles - It's not just what we would like to see imported, but how much more we are willing to pay for it. (I think some of that twinnings must sit in Jumbo year in year out!)

deeve007 said:
Come on, you're kidding right?? I was absolutely gobsmacked when I was visiting a US friend and saw this in their fridge.

Flour + milk + egg + sugar, it's the simplest thing in the world!!

I can't even believe they make this as a product, though I guess with US consumers nothing should surprise me. (and wouldn't be surprised if it's on Oz store shelves nowadays, we're getting just as fat/lazy as the yanks).

Easy there. :) You're right, I know I can make my own, but sometimes convenience wins out. Anything brought over from the US is most likely going to be processed.

There's not a lot I miss - I can find the same or similar products here for most things - sometimes better. That said, I did enjoy passing by the international section of Jumbo back when they had it - a little taste from home is a nice treat.

Unless this guy has access to a diplomatic pouch, I suspect you candy lovers are being gamed here.

We all know the realities of Argentine import laws mean that average prices on these goods, imported in small quantities, would be 5 to 10 times US and European street prices.

I would be amused to be proven wrong, but I think its fantasy.

Yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up. I see this more as a 'what do you miss' general kind of thread.

Ries said:
Unless this guy has access to a diplomatic pouch, I suspect you candy lovers are being gamed here.

I actually thought about this, but I didn't want anyone to try jumping the gates at the U.S. Embassy for Betty Crocker cakemix or Mountain Dew... :)

Slim Jim or any beef jerky
Neuro Drinks
Greek Yogurt (the ones in the US are bigger and better and have honey)
Carton of Egg Whites for breakfast
Egg beaters
Progresso Soups
Lean Cousine (yes, i am a lazy bastard. i love tv dinner)
Havarti Cheese

and ANYTHING from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market. Especially the snacks.

Back