Coming to BsAs with dog..

French jurist said:
I don't own dogs, dogs own me..

Then you might have a problem with being the pack leader.

French jurist said:
Nevertheless, I plainly agree that dogs have great empathic senses.
My comment was just related to the fact that no matter the vibes you can transmit before a 13 hours flight : the dog will spend a very hard time due to the cold and so on...

I also agree if what skipper747 is true, that could be traumatic for them. I flew with my dog from Paris here and she was just fine. Still I would not want her to go through 12 hours of freezing temperatures.

French jurist said:
I got a bit traumatized seeing how my dog reacted afterwards, so maybe was I projecting my own anxiety too ;)

That might have been it. Dogs aren't like humans, they get over things fast. However if the human doesn't, neither will the dog.

French jurist said:
If the "dog whisperer" show is the one with the trainer of a latino descent, my opinion is that he is a total fraud, even dangerous (way too much violent like pulling very violently leashes and so on...

Yes that's the guy, he's Mexican. He is however not violent and I believe he has done a lot for dogs and dog owners in the States and probably the world. It's really not difficult to discipline your dog. But you need some training to do it. Most people treat their dogs as humans, which is the culprit of most behavior problems IMO. I just have to walk my dog down the street or take her to the nearest park to meet this people who don't have a clue.

orwellian
xxx
Outside airplane temperatures are expressed in degrees Celsius. At sea level, the standard temperature is (supposedly) 15ºC (59ºF) everywhere, poles or equator... and the standard lapse rate (cooling off when going up) is 2ºC per 1000 feet of altitude increase... Reaching the altitude of 36,000 feet, the lapse rate (cooling off going up) stops - it is called the TROPOPAUSE. At that point, the outside temperature is supposed to be -56ºC and will stay at that value even if you go further up... Deviations from the temperatures are expressed as standard plus or standard minus temperatures... I have seen deviations of 20ºC warmer or colder than standard.
xxx
Using the explanation above, at 35,000 feet, a typical altitude for an airliner, the temperature is supposed to be -54ºC... I tell people who do not seek a full explanation that the "OAT" (outside air temperature) for a jet airliner in cruise is "minus 55ºC"... But I have seen it as cold as -65ºC or maybe colder.
xxx
Baggage compartments receive same air temperature and pressurization as the passenger cabins, but compartment walls are not isolated like passenger cabins. I have never seen an airplane with a temperature gage (thermometer) for the baggage compartment, so I can only volunteer to say that it gets cold in a baggage compartment, and that I have seen frozen water liquids, upon arrival of long flights at cold temperatures. To answer your question, it could probably be slightly below freezing, shall we say 25ºF or -5ºC at the end of a long flight.
xxx
I was a 747 captain and 747 pilot instructor in classrooms, simulators and actual aircraft. I also instructed 747 flight engineers. Previously, I had flown 707, 727 and DC8 type aircraft as captain and instructor as well, passenger and cargo. I flew worldwide, and retired a week before my 65th birthday, the airline pilot age limit.
xxx
You owe me a Quilmes lager (or two) for the briefing. That is much less than my classroom lectures rate...

Love your doggie gallery, Frenchjurist. Specially the picture of the four dogs looking up.

I also collect strays - have six right now. Word about a nutty dog-lover has gone around my Colonia farm, and the locals have taken to dumping puppies by the access track (once a driveway).

People around here believe that it is cruel to neuter dogs and all right to dump a litter of month-old puppies by the roadside. Some Argentine friends in a nearby town are up to 38 strays, and counting. Often they find whole litters of puppies at their front door - impossible to resist eight pairs of eyes looking up from the bottom of a cardboard box.

About dog training, I've found out that by talking to them most dogs eventually figure things out. Pack animals have an inborn instinct to fit in and only need time to adapt to their new pack and learn its rules, and the advantage to having several dogs is that the pack takes on the job of training newcomers.

Well, this "dog whisperer" is quite an "ace" i.m.h.o., and I'm not the only one to think so (I think he has been banned -or Vets associations wanted to ban him- from French & Italian tv).

Example 1 : using those "strangling" collars and pulling the dog violently (provokes pain & fear... Sure the dog will be cautious but there are other methods considering the dog is an intelligent animal).

Example 2 : using those "strangling" collars with some kind of spikes (again, he is going the easy way, provoking pain)

Example 3 : putting the dog in the trunk and closing violently the trunk on the dog's head (once again, the easy & violent way).

I have had dogs all my life, reaching sometimes 600 lbs worth of dogs, and never ever am I violent with them. I maintain my authority (and yes, I am the male Alpha) with patience, rewards & games.
My dogs can walk without any leash in the city (and believe me, when you walk with a 110 lbs Briard freely, people are often amazed... But much to my disappointment, it's often old ladies who come to compliment me :( )

SaraSara said:
I also collect strays - have six right now.

Ah, you beat me then ! I try to limit myself to three, in vain.

I took from the street, 3 weeks ago, a small female puppy.
She is a very strange mix : size of a pinscher, body of a rottweiller, ears of a bloodhound. She is cute, I'll post pics later.

French jurist said:
Ah, you beat me then ! I try to limit myself to three, in vain.

My hat's off to you - having three dogs in town is equivalent to at least nine in the country. I'm on a very quiet dirt road, and the house is a mile away from it, so the dogs can run around safely. All I have to do is feed them, house them, and take them to the vet.

The only trouble is petting them all at once when I get here from Buenos Aires, with all six dogs trying to squeeze into the car while the chickens climb onto the hood and the cats crouch against the tires.

SaraSara said:
My hat's off to you - having three dogs in town is equivalent to at least nine in the country. I'm on a very quiet dirt road, and the house is a mile away from it, so the dogs can run around safely. All I have to do is feed them, house them, and take them to the vet.

The only trouble is petting them all at once when I get here from Buenos Aires, with all six dogs trying to squeeze into the car while the chickens climb onto the hood and the cats crouch against the tires.

Oh well, now I moved out of Capital, living in Del Viso with "2 hectareas y medio" (likely 20.000 sq.ft I guess ?) so the dogs have plenty of space to run (and animals to chew as well : any bird falling from a nest doesn't last long...)

SaraSara said:

And two hats off to you :) for the six dogs. It must be quite funny when you exit the buquebus terminal with the dogs inside.

Carly,
Your dog will have plenty of company here. Our dog traveled really well on the plane without sedatives and has adjusted well to apartment living. She gets a ton of walks around our neighborhood, where we have a vet literally on our block and two different places to buy dog food. I am so glad we brought her with us!
Good luck and enjoy!

Back