Coming to BsAs with dog..

Skipper 747, I'm grateful to you for telling us the real story and horrified to think what our dog and two cats must have been through. We flew our cats from London to Sydney in 2004. We were advised by our vet not to tranquilise them, in case they were sick during the flight, as they would not be supervised. We saw them first a couple of days after they arrived in Australia and were in a poor state: stressed, thin, molting profusely. It could have been the flight, the transition from snowy London to the height of Australia summer heat, the quarantine, who can say? They were quarantined for a month and it took a couple of weeks after they came home for them to bounce back to normal. A few years later, by which time we had a 3 year old chocolate lab, my husband was transferred to Costa Rica. All three pets flew a week after we arrived, and due to incompetence on the part of the animal transport company they were stuck in LA for four days. Thankfully the LA agent was a pet lover, and kind enough to take all three into his own home for the duration of the delay, where they were looked after and cuddled. On arrival in Costa Rica they came straight through customs and home to us, in great condition. Last year, we moved again to Argentina. I was very worried about my elderly cat (17), but all three pets arrived in Buenos Aires in great shape, as they are today. I hope we don't have to move again, but if we do I will certainly be taking Skipper's advice to fly them cargo. Buenos Aires is super dog-friendly and there are wonderful off-lead parks for them to play. We have a great vet, Wimpi on Salguero in Palermo. All of their normal vet-brand foods are available here. Good luck with the move.

Skipper747 said:
I have never seen an airplane with a temperature gage (thermometer) for the baggage compartment, so I can only volunteer to say that it gets cold in a baggage compartment, and that I have seen frozen water liquids, upon arrival of long flights at cold temperatures.

Too bad there are no thermometers down there. How did you come across the frozen liquid though? I have traveled several times with liquids in the checked in baggage and I have never had any liquid turn to ice.

Skipper747 said:
You owe me a Quilmes lager (or two) for the briefing. That is much less than my classroom lectures rate...

I'll try to invite you for the next party/barbq, then you can have as many quilmes as you want :)

French jurist said:
Example 1 : using those "strangling" collars and pulling the dog violently (provokes pain & fear... Sure the dog will be cautious but there are other methods considering the dog is an intelligent animal).

It doesn't provoke fear nor much pain. It simulates the correction dogs give each other by gently biting each other on the neck. If you're pulling the dog violently with this type of leash, you're doing it wrong.
A gentle snap is a lot less painful than when they are constantly pulling on the leash. And the more they pull, the more excited they become, which leads them to pull even harder.

French jurist said:
Example 2 : using those "strangling" collars with some kind of spikes (again, he is going the easy way, provoking pain)

This type of collar is for only for training and again, it is not very painful. I doubt there are many professional dog trainers that don't use this collar.

French jurist said:
Example 3 : putting the dog in the trunk and closing violently the trunk on the dog's head (once again, the easy & violent way).

Huh? I have no idea what this is.

French jurist said:
...never ever am I violent with them. I maintain my authority (and yes, I am the male Alpha) with patience, rewards & games.

That's good, violence doesn't work on dogs.

I brought my 3 year old lovely stafforshire bull terrier from th Uk more than a year ago!
Her plane ticket ws damm expensive but i didn't doubt about it as she is our family!
rabies vaccine, vet check up 24 hours before boarding, microchiped 6 months before the whole process and a lot of work for 2 weeks with the new big...kennel...

I used to feed herr inside the kennel , her bowl of water was there all the time..so she got used to the place...
no sedatives! no no no!!

I ws really worried as we had a stop over in Madrid..I manage to get off the plane and give her some water...
She was all wet and in shock when I found the Kennel next to the suitcases....but I WAS CONvinced she was going to be OK!..and she was!!

we got here in february so it was quite a change as it was boiling hot!
so do bare in mind that your dog's rutine might change depending onhow well he/she copes with the weather.
:)

DELTA allows dogs in cabin for a fee. Not sure on the weight/size limitations.

Veterinary http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2140263743956992663&postID=152546413228841203Housecall Services of PetsVentura® provides high quality, compassionate, veterinary medical care in the stress free and convenient environment of your own home. We offer a full range of services for companion animals, including: at-home wellness checks and vaccinations, diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury, and surgical and dental services throughout affiliation with our partners base hospitals.

We are a diverse and highly trained http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2140263743956992663&postID=152546413228841203health care team motivated towards building long-term relationships with families who value quality pet care.

We constantly improve the level of wellness, emergency, and advanced specialty services for the life of your pet.

Our aim is to honor, respect and care for our clients and patients in a holistic and safe environment; to extend and enhance the quality and duration of animals lives and well being; to support the bond between animals and their families .

We will do this through education, gentle touch, and a commitment to offering the best medicine for our patients.

All our health care team is http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2140263743956992663&postID=152546413228841203http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2140263743956992663&postID=152546413228841203Multilanguage (Spanish, Portuguese, English and Hebrew)

Telephone: (11) 4836-2290

www.petsventura.com

CarlyB said:
My husband and I will be arriving in BsAs in a couple of weeks to study Spanish and take a break from the grind in CA. We're bringing our dog and wondering if anyone can recommend a vet, comment on the ease/difficulty of getting around the city with a dog (will taxis take dogs?), places to buy dog food, etc. Any and all suggestions/recommendations are appreciated!

What kind of papers do you need to bring your dog to BA? Or what other steps need to be taken to bring your dog into the country. I moved here a few months ago and am planning on staying for at least a year, maybe longer. Right now my mom is taking care of my dog and he is very happy :) so it's doubtful I'll put him through the hell of airplane travel but I'm curious to see how easy/hard the process is. Also, I had no idea UPS and FedEx fly dogs as well. Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much it would cost for them to fly a dog from the US? Thanks!

annet said:
What kind of papers do you need to bring your dog to BA? Or what other steps need to be taken to bring your dog into the country

here is one of my bookmarks that I have collected that can give you a start.
http://www.petrelocation.com/resources/international-regulations/argentina

I have three very small dogs and one large one. The tiny ones are going to come on the plane with me, one at a time. Here is a company that I have bookmarked for when the time arrives to start planning for the large dog.
http://petrelocation.blogspot.com/2007/11/moving-to-argentina-with-pets.html

Back