Common courtesy in Buenos Aires

arty said:
i have to hear people beating the crap out of each other or worry that the batch of meth they are cooking up might explode.

Neighbor? You live in my building?

Look slick, are you a product of the public education system here? 0900 on Sunday morning is too frigging early to crank the music for everyone to hear!!!
Yes, im a local, and as such i can inform you that loud music on a sunday morning is not nearly as uncommon as you think it it. On sundays many people do home chores, clean up the place, etc. and for that they often put on some loud music or the radio. Or maybe they are preparing a meal for the family, which may start early, and for that they to put on some music too.

I wasn't telling you to enjoy it, but if its not a regular thing, my advice is just bare with it, unless you want to receive critics from your neighbors whenever you do something annoying. If this becomes a regular thing, then yes, you should do something. Talk to your neighbor or the building management.

In the last apartment i lived, we had an unspoken agreement. Sometimes one of my neighbors had a gathering with friends or a full on party in the middle of a week day, and sure it was annoying, i had to wake up early. But i never complained as i held gatherings and parties too, and my neighbors never complained either.

So as a porteño, you can tell me whether there is a disregard of others when they know what they are doing is affecting others?

You mentioned that "if it is not a regular thing" to bear with it. It is a regular thing and I am bearing with it! Talking to them works for about 4 minutes. But trying to understand it.

You might just have to accept that what bothers you doesn't bother everyone else.

Apartment blocks are typically noisy places, especially ones built without any effective sound proofing. There are laws governing the construction of new buildings in lots of countries, the materials used need to provide adequate soundproofing. I'm guessing those laws aren't in effect here.

Does your baby ever cry at night? I'm guessing your neighbours might not be too mad about the sound of a crying baby...

my neighbour cries herself to sleep every night. Seriously. And it's pretty loud too.

I think basically the problem is she's met me a few times on the stairs and in the elevator when I've been with my gf and she knows she'll never meet a man as perfect as me - and on come the tears. I can understand it really.
:cool:

I lived for almost 8 years on the top floors of a couple of building and they are generally very quiet, then again they are cold in winter, too warm in summer and usually you get humidity problems :p I am back on a 3rd floor and I find it really noisy, I guess I will get used to the noise again in a couple of months...

jp said:
Does your baby ever cry at night? I'm guessing your neighbours might not be too mad about the sound of a crying baby...

The baby does not cry loud enough to be heard outside the apartment. But sometimes my crying bothers her. The neighbors complain but I am learning to ignore them as that seems the way in BA.

nikad said:
I guess I will get used to the noise again in a couple of months...

I am waiting for that time myself. Hope you get there soon.

RescueMe said:
Profound! Everyone here is the same as everyone in the large cities in the USA. The only difference are the building materials? Give me a break!

OK - there are other differences. Porteño neighbors are much more respectful of each other than New Yorkers. Also friendlier and more pleasant to deal with.

And they don't throw tantrums like you're doing in this post.

I don't agree with that comment about Portreño neighbors being more respectful than New Yorkers. Co-ops in New York have rules and sanctions that are adhered to far more than here where there are seldom any rules and little to no enforcement.

Back