Common courtesy in Buenos Aires

sergio said:
I just can't imagine that happening here where there is far greater tolerance for noise in general. The wild parties on terraces with screaming and shouting that I have described in posts happen because the society tolerates this sort of behavior. It isn't seen as selfish and inconsiderate by many people. And that brings us to the conclusion that this is the nature of the society and there is not anything that one can really do about it. You just have to deal with these things as best you can, hope that your neighbors will be considerate and put up with the rest. You can't change a culture - that's the way it is.

You need to understand the Spanish psyche. Spanish peoples in general ( yes I know about generalisations and mean to offend no one) have a much more tolerant attitude to noise.
I saw a television programme once about the Ebro Delta, while lost in this quiet wilderness, lost in the peace and tranquility of nature, they came across a boat load of spaniards. Instead of enjoying the peace, they stood at the back of the boat clapping and stamping their feet in flamenco fashion, as if the very quiet was a thing to be feared and removed at all costs.
So my point is; if you want quiet, do not expect to get it living with Spanish peoples, and certainly not in the centre of a great city populated by them.
You could try Bariolche, might be quiet, but expect to get woken early on a Sunday with the odd male voice choir.:rolleyes:

Recoleta Carolina said:
If I am not mistaken, you are Argentine. Many foreigners really do not know how to complain or they are afraid to complain for whatever reason. They do not understand or know the system. Maybe they do not speak the language. You always seem to think that the rules that apply to YOU apply to everyone. Not so. And, if I am not mistaken, you are married to an American and have your "exit strategy" in place. You should be more compassionate to what foreigners have to endure. Trust me, the locals never side with the foreigners even if they are in the right. But, I am sure that you already know that.

Yes I am Argentine and yes I always suggest expats to complain, directly or indirectly ( with the help of a local friend ). I believe one needs to be able to vent, otherwise the anger and frustration only escalate.

I understand that not all expats have local friends at first, heck you could even ask a fellow expat with good command of the language to help out. My husband is American, but I do not have any " exit strategies " in place, not sure why you mention that and how that relates to the topic...

I appreciate your advice, and even though I prefer to act anonymously I have helped many expats through the years with several issues, so trust me I know about compassion.

About locals never siding with foreigners, I don´t know, I do not like generalizations ;)

RescueMe said:
Thanks for your empathy. Moving early is not an option though as we purchased this lovely apartment.

This is from the WallStreet Journal on 1 Sept 2009 about Paris, France.

"Mr. Rebete is a special agent in Paris's war on public urination. Part of an elite, 88-member force called the Brigade des Incivilités, or Bad Behavior Brigade, Mr. Rebete scours the streets for all sorts of boorish offenders. Dressed in civilian clothes and driving an unmarked car, he tickets everyone from litterbugs to people handing out unauthorized flyers to Parisians who don't pick up after their dog."

Can you imagine how that would work here?

Part of the reason I came here is to get away from the secret/morality police. I'm willing to deal with how it is here to have less government/police intrusion. I'm not a fan of seeing people piss in public, but I'd rather have that happen then know that if I really had to go I might get a ticket. Personally, I'm a huge fan of public urinals like in amsterdam.

tangobob said:
You need to understand the Spanish psyche. Spanish peoples in general ( yes I know about generalisations and mean to offend no one) have a much more tolerant attitude to noise.
I saw a television programme once about the Ebro Delta, while lost in this quiet wilderness, lost in the peace and tranquility of nature, they came across a boat load of spaniards. Instead of enjoying the peace, they stood at the back of the boat clapping and stamping their feet in flamenco fashion, as if the very quiet was a thing to be feared and removed at all costs.
So my point is; if you want quiet, do not expect to get it living with Spanish peoples, and certainly not in the centre of a great city populated by them.

Your little story really brought home what I was sensing all along. In this culture, when the people are not being heard they go to the streets and make as much noise as they can with pots and pans.

So I am ready to protest in my hallway with all my pots and pans. When someone asks my why I am doing this, I will tell them "because people make too much noise in this building".

nikad said:
I understand that not all expats have local friends at first, heck you could even ask a fellow expat with good command of the language to help out. My husband is American, but I do not have any " exit strategies " in place, not sure why you mention that and how that relates to the topic...

I think that she is a little frustrated that she does not have an exit strategy and that you "might".

nikad said:
About locals never siding with foreigners, I don´t know, I do not like generalizations ;)

Everybody hates generalizations. (my attempt to be ironic instead of moronic)

John.St said:
Given your repeated abusive language in this forum, it is obvious what is going on.

Your neighbours are trying to get rid of you - I wish them the best of luck.

Abusive? Me? Just trying to assimilate to my environment.

RescueMe said:
So I am ready to protest in my hallway with all my pots and pans. When someone asks my why I am doing this, I will tell them "because people make too much noise in this building".

That made me laugh out loud.

Might be worth a try...

sergio said:
I don't agree with that comment about Portreño neighbors being more respectful than New Yorkers. Co-ops in New York have rules and sanctions that are adhered to far more than here where there are seldom any rules and little to no enforcement.

The person who stated that Portenos are more respectful than New Yorkers must not have lived in Buenos Aires very long. Give him time! New Yorkers are much more respectful because the rules and laws are enforced.

Tangobob, I believe the portion of my post that you have quoted makes it pretty clear that I DO understand the local psyche. I personally don't care for that aspect of Porteño culture that seems to need noise but I have learned to deal with it by selecting carefully where I live, what restaurants and cafes I go to, etc.

Back