Common courtesy in Buenos Aires

sergio said:
I don't agree with that comment about Portreño neighbors being more respectful than New Yorkers. Co-ops in New York have rules and sanctions that are adhered to far more than here where there are seldom any rules and little to no enforcement.

Right in theory, Sergio, but in practice it's all about people getting along with each other, tolerating annoyances, and respecting each other's needs and privacy.

I've been on a number of NY coop boards, and the fact is that the regulations carry only as much weight as the owners give them. Overly ambitious boards publish onerous rules, no one pays attention, and everything proceeds as before the rules were published.

The occasional litigious owner up there reminds everyone of the legal costs of non-compliance, but in general everything works the same as here.

If I had a problem with a neighbor in New York, I wouldn't contact the building manager or begin citing building rules. I would call the neighbor or knock on the door and resolve it. Just as I do here, where the word "sorry" has the same meaning and force as in a New York coop.

RescueMe said:
And the other 20 families living in the building? Is the mentailty here, "fun with my family and to HELL with everyone else." It is about respect for others. And the fact that I am explaining it to you means that you just don't get it!
You simply hit the wrong country, that's all.

jimdepalermo said:
And they don't throw tantrums like you're doing in this post.
Not interested in winning an argument with a moron. But it is nice to know that you are available if I ever am.

Rescueme you come across as a spoilt brat . Its all about me, me , me and me . Try to live with it or move out. SIMPLE

Just a heads up- I have actually found that it is weird that the USA has laws about cleaning up after your dog. Many other countries have never heard of such a law. Countries I have been where there are no dog clean up laws: Italy, Russia, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Turkey.

I sympathize with your noise situation though. I had a neighbor like that and ended up subletting the place and moving early.

Scelesta said:
I sympathize with your noise situation though. I had a neighbor like that and ended up subletting the place and moving early.

Thanks for your empathy. Moving early is not an option though as we purchased this lovely apartment.

This is from the WallStreet Journal on 1 Sept 2009 about Paris, France.

"Mr. Rebete is a special agent in Paris's war on public urination. Part of an elite, 88-member force called the Brigade des Incivilités, or Bad Behavior Brigade, Mr. Rebete scours the streets for all sorts of boorish offenders. Dressed in civilian clothes and driving an unmarked car, he tickets everyone from litterbugs to people handing out unauthorized flyers to Parisians who don't pick up after their dog."

Can you imagine how that would work here?

RescueMe said:
...This Sunday morning my dumb ass family next door plays her music at 0900 in the morning. If I knew how to speak dumb a$$ I would have been there telling them to shove it up their ass. But what surprises me is the fact that no one says a damn thing to these asses because it is the way life is here.
RescueMe said:
Look slick, are you a product of the public education system here? ...
RescueMe said:
... And the fact that I am explaining it to you means that you just don't get it!
RescueMe said:
...But your ignorance is constantly on display whenever you chose to open your mouth.
But know this... Whenever I am cleaning something nasty off the bottom of my shoe. I will be thinking of you.
RescueMe said:
You are mistaken. I am obsessed with ignorance. Thanks for your contribution to it.
RescueMe said:
Not interested in winning an argument with a moron. But it is nice to know that you are available if I ever am.
Given your repeated abusive language in this forum, it is obvious what is going on.

Your neighbours are trying to get rid of you - I wish them the best of luck.

nikad said:
Well, if you do not do anything about it, why complain in the first place? Not that you even gave it a try... Having said that I am not a bat ( get up at 6 am every day mom to mon and I would not be happy with loud music at 9am on a Sunday either...

If I am not mistaken, you are Argentine. Many foreigners really do not know how to complain or they are afraid to complain for whatever reason. They do not understand or know the system. Maybe they do not speak the language. You always seem to think that the rules that apply to YOU apply to everyone. Not so. And, if I am not mistaken, you are married to an American and have your "exit strategy" in place. You should be more compassionate to what foreigners have to endure. Trust me, the locals never side with the foreigners even if they are in the right. But, I am sure that you already know that.

JimdePalermo, Sorry you had such bad experiences as a board member of several New York coops. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother in her East Side coop and she never had these problems. Of course she spoke first to neighbors who were noisy but that rarely happened. There were rules regarding noise levels including one requiring that 75% of floor space be carpeted - and these rules WERE enforced. Unlike buildings in BA, her building had clearly stated rules (there was a manual) with a grievance procedure and sanctions. There was an orderly way of dealing with problems if personal entreaties failed, something that doesn't exist here where you are entirely dependent on the goodwill of your neighbors. If you have ever been to a meeting of the consorcio you will know how undisciplined, disrespectful and inconsiderate neighbors can be to each other. I guess you'll tell me that in New York your meetings were even worse! Your experience with Por†eños in your building has been positive and I am happy for you. My experince is that it is completely unpredictable. Not everyone complies with polite requests to reduce the noise. My grandmother used to listen to her TV with earphones late at night so as to be considerate of her neighbors. I just can't imagine that happening here where there is far greater tolerance for noise in general. The wild parties on terraces with screaming and shouting that I have described in posts happen because the society tolerates this sort of behavior. It isn't seen as selfish and inconsiderate by many people. And that brings us to the conclusion that this is the nature of the society and there is not anything that one can really do about it. You just have to deal with these things as best you can, hope that your neighbors will be considerate and put up with the rest. You can't change a culture - that's the way it is.

Back