Common courtesy in Buenos Aires

RescueMe said:
... If I knew how to speak dumb a$$ I would have been there telling them to shove it up their ass ...

RescueMe said:
...Talking to them works for about 4 minutes. ...
Can you explain this?

You don't speak Spanish and yet you are talking to your neighbours about your perceived problem?

In Swahili? German? French? Do they understand your foreign language?

sergio said:
Tangobob, I believe the portion of my post that you have quoted makes it pretty clear that I DO understand the local psyche. I personally don't care for that aspect of Porteño culture that seems to need noise but I have learned to deal with it by selecting carefully where I live, what restaurants and cafes I go to, etc.

Sorry, yes. I was mearly reflecting what you said to illustrate the point.

I believe many people are confusing indifference with rudeness . I understand it takes a long time to understand the Argentinian culture but there are many positives that are understated and should be a world wide rule.

Here it is common that service is slow and lacking enthusiasm but very rarely do I find rude people in shops or restaurants. In many cases I have sent food back in restaurants and never has it been a problem.

I have worked in many restaurants in other countries and I have seen very rude behaviour from waiters when thy were not tipped accordingly or if the guests lingered too long over their meal. In Buenos Aires the opposite is true and they will give you all night if you want and they will not grizzle at you if you leave a small tip.

Pericles obliquely makes a point about one aspect of social life in Bs. As. that pleases me: the inobtrusiveness of waiters. In the States, the usual seems to be a false chattiness ("Hi, I'm Samkins. I'll be your server tonight!") extended by constant interruptions ("Is everything okay?" "Do you like your salad?"). In most Western countries outside the United States, the customer is allowed to enjoy his repast but able to summon assistance at once should he need it.

John.St said:
Can you explain this?

You don't speak Spanish and yet you are talking to your neighbours about your perceived problem?

In Swahili? German? French? Do they understand your foreign language?

Are you stalking me?

I never said that I did not speak Spanish. I said that I did not speak dumb a$$. Care to be my interpreter as you seem to be fluent!

Hmmm, slightly off topic: do you think running a small business/service for phone complaints of all sorts in perfect Spanish ( slang at no extra cost ) would be useful? I am willing to volunteer for a small donation :) With such service you can complain to your landlords, building managers, isps, real estate agents, annoying neighbors, etc ;) You really feel like venting and speaking your mind? Just do it!

What a novel idea, "nikad"! Yes, I'd expect that such a service could be quite profitable.

RWS said:
What a novel idea, "nikad"! Yes, I'd expect that such a service could be quite profitable.
LOL, I am game :) I accept Paypal donations and goodies ( peanut butter, A1, service exchanges, etc ) Is there anything or anyone annoying you? do you need to speak your mind? Well send me a private message and I will make your dreams come true.

Back