Computer in need of Fixing

chica.expat

Registered
Hi, my name is Annalise in I'm a student here studying abroad. I've just been here a few weeks, but will be staying until the end of June.

Here's my problem. I found out 2 weeks before leaving the US that the sound for my computer is jacked up and won't work. Honestly I'm not a person that really uses my computer all that often for youtubing and listening to music and stuff so I don't really know how long this has been an issue either :/

Anyway, since it was so close to my departure date there was no way I could send it somewhere to get it fixed and get in back in time, so the only option was trying to get it taken care of here.

Anyway have any places they could recommend? English speaking is preferable, but I understand if that's not possible. I just want to get it fixed so I can Skype friends and fam back home.

Thanks for you help!

chica.expat said:
Anyway have any places they could recommend? English speaking is preferable, but I understand if that's not possible. I just want to get it fixed so I can Skype friends and fam back home.

Thanks for you help!

I am willing to look and fix your computer for the cost of parts, if any.

Let me know.

JHB1216 said:
I am willing to look and fix your computer for the cost of parts, if any.

Let me know.

Wow! Really? Hmm, I may just need to take you up on that offer. I'll definitely let you know soon (potentially by the end of the week) because I want to get this taken care of as soon as I can. :)

I would search a bit and find some common fixes to see if I could fix it myself. It could be something as silly as having the sound turned off. :p If your speaker is broken, that might be a more complicated fix. Does the headphone jack work?

I would do as Eclair suggests, do a search on you laptop make, model, and problem eg: dell inspire 1750 no sound
I could be just a driver issue or some other software related problem.

If it is faulty hardware, you can also contact ricardo:

http://www.balaptop.com

The thread I mentioned above is asking for a mac guy but notebook.fix (Richardo) is a repairman for other types of computers.

Eclair said:
I would search a bit and find some common fixes to see if I could fix it myself. It could be something as silly as having the sound turned off. :p If your speaker is broken, that might be a more complicated fix. Does the headphone jack work?

I've already tried looking through all sound options, turning it on and off, digging a bit deeper and haven't found anything. The headphone jack doesn't work. Here's the thing, I think it's some kind of settings issue, but just something I can't find. I had my brother take a look before leaving because he's a lot more tech-savvy than I am. He couldn't figure out the issue either.

The really strange thing is that no sound works EXCEPT for the start up and closing sounds of Skype. When I try to call someone with it though, nothing. When I try to use any other program, nothing. I've dug through sound settings in each of the programs that I really use sound for (iTunes, Chrome, Skype) and I can't figure it out. Hence why I'm reaching out for help.

Is it Windows 7? If so, try right clicking on the speaker icon on the start bar in the bottom right corner near the clock and clicking "Playback devices". In there, check that the green tick is next to the correct device.

Usually the right one will just say Speakers. Ones that say "digital output" or "optical" are almost certainly not what should be the default.

To change it, select the one you want and click the "Set Default" button.

You can also do something that plays sound, and look at all the devices there and see which one has the green equalizer moving to see where Windows is sending the sound. If you can see one moving but still can't hear sound, let us know which one.

Back