Considering BA as an early retirement option

I'd say if the gov remotely thinks they can squeeze some money out of you they will. Esp if you are a gringo trying to live in BA. You have a target on your back as you must have dollars, everyone will do their best to separate those precious $$$ from you.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any actual EVIDENCE that this is true.

I remember in August when they forced my salary to be pesified and it cost me 30% to get it to the states through whatever convoluted process of buying and selling bonds.

I know I'm getting ripped off on my apartment price. I'm sure being an expat landlord is the most lucrative career in Argentina. They also tried to demand I send USD directly to them in miami despite my lease stating I had the option to pay them pesos. My realtor attempted to rip me off. I've had handymen and service people in my apartment try to drag out repairs for days at a time. Get in and do the work and get out.

People try to buy dollars from me at market rates like I don't know about blue rates. Same thing with when I purchase things. You just have to verify everything on your own, trust no one.

Your advise is very good" Trust no one "

That's the Norm in Argentina, Most Argies live that way..!
Foreigners that don't speak the language tend to get ripped off more often..!
Hence buy only at supermarkets where prices are marked..! when possible.

Evidence that the government will do their best to separate you from your precious $$$

Exhibit One - The US Tax Code Every one of the additional 74,208 pages is full of rules designed take more money from you and less money from the politically connected.

1594646330279.png

I've often thought the government should offer a special rate for expat or tourist dollars.

Imagine if the government gave you ~300 pesos to the dollar for dollars entering from outside the country. Expats and tourists would come here and give their dollar more freely. The pesos is worthless so why would the government not do this? Why do they care since they just print them off at full speed anyways. The government gets dollars and the expats/tourists get an exchange rate they can't get elsewhere to buy things in the short term. The government would just get the pesos back in the form of the VAT and all the other ridiculous taxes they charge anyways.

You have a target on your back as you must have dollars, everyone will do their best to separate those precious $$$ from you.
I've seen that in Uruguay. The locals don't cheat each other, but charging foreigners twice for everything is viewed as fair. Understandable, in a way - even the poorer expats generally have five times as much money as Uruguayans do.

I've seen that in Uruguay. The locals don't cheat each other, but charging foreigners twice for everything is viewed as fair. Understandable, in a way - even the poorer expats generally have five times as much money as Uruguayans do.

Well Uruguayans restrain themselves from cheating neighbours but foreigners that will not come back ,, who cares..!

Well Uruguayans restrain themselves from cheating neighbours but foreigners that will not come back ,, who cares..!
I think you are right. I was cheated right and left when I first arrived, but after fourteen years either the locals took pity on me, or view me as a sort of permanent neighbor, and the cheating has stopped. I also stopped trusting quoted prices and started asking hard questions - I'm no longer the sitting duck I once was.

A depressing experience, being viewed as prey.

Back