Considering BA as an early retirement option

Evidence that the government will do their best to separate you from your precious $$$

Exhibit One - The US Tax Code Every one of the additional 74,208 pages is full of rules designed take more money from you and less money from the politically connected.

This is EEUU. You were talking about Argentina.

View attachment 7113

Well Uruguayans restrain themselves from cheating neighbours but foreigners that will not come back ,, who cares..!

This is actually a very short-sighted way of looking at things.

I was born and raised in a city whose economy depends in large part on tourism, and I was taught from a very young age to treat tourists kindly, to be polite and helpful to them, and always to deal with them fairly. The idea being that they will come back again next year, and also tell their friends what a great place (cityname) is for a vacation. It is an axiom that negative word of mouth spreads twice as fast as the positive. If you rip off the tourists, not only they won't come back, but they'll go home and tell friends & family that your city is a ripoff.

Sadly, I do not think I will ever see it again, but I still make a point of telling my students all over the world what a great place (the city of my birth) can be for a vacation. The bay, the beaches, the beautiful weather, the incredible zoo and the Wild Animal Park, such is its reputation that even though I have refrained from mentioned the name, I am willing to bet that most of you can guess the city of which I speak.

I use Skype for 800, 600 calls on my cell. Never had a problem. I call my friends in the States via Facebook messenger. No cost at all.

You people with your modern technology !

I say stick to the old ways! :

:p

You people with your modern technology !

I say stick to the old ways! :

:p

True story AR is the first place in my entire life where I was required to send a telegram to someone. To quit your job you must notify your employer with a telegram. I was sad there was no Morse code involved.

Technically, you are considered a resident if you spend more than six months a year in Argentina. In my experience, that is not checked or enforced.

You could remain an American resident and stay in Argentina on a three-month tourist visa. If you wish to stay longer, all it takes is a day outing to Colonia to renew it. If you wife was born in Argentina she'll get a six-month tourist visa - no need to renew.
Same law in Spain and other European countries. But very hard to enforce and check. There are thousands of Americans retiring in Europe, I do think they pay wealth tax. Do not expect Argentine gov to have a friendly law/regulation for expats, they do not care and it's a moron government. If your wife is Argentine, she should know. Do whatever you need to do, screw the government.

True story AR is the first place in my entire life where I was required to send a telegram to someone. To quit your job you must notify your employer with a telegram. I was sad there was no Morse code involved.
Indeed, I had some employees in my past. And when sacking them, my lawyer advised me to ask them to send me a telegram. I was flabbergasted!

Technically, you are considered a resident if you spend more than six months a year in Argentina. In my experience, that is not checked or enforced.

You could remain an American resident and stay in Argentina on a three-month tourist visa. If you wish to stay longer, all it takes is a day outing to Colonia to renew it. If you wife was born in Argentina she'll get a six-month tourist visa - no need to renew.

“If you wife was born in Argentina she'll get a six-month tourist visa - no need to renew”.
If the wife was born in Argentina why would she need a tourist visa???

“If you wife was born in Argentina she'll get a six-month tourist visa - no need to renew”.
Assuming dual citizenship and she entered on her NON ARGENTINE PASSPORT - She would be subject to the 90 day period of a tourist visa.

If she was born in Argentina but enters with a non-Argentine passport she gets a 180 day tourist visa, instead of the 90 days allowed to foreigners.

Back