Considering retiring in Argentina but have so many questions

The traditional way to avoid worrying about carrying cash in Buenos Aires has always been-
1- schedule the closing at a bank
2- wire the money direct to that bank
3- Seller hires an armored car and shotgun toting guards to take the money from the bank of closing, to their own bank, and deposits it there.

no shit- this was done all the time, and as far as I know, probably still is done.
Sure, post pandemia, transferring money online is easier and more common, but there are still lots of rich people who keep US dollars in Safety Deposit Boxes in their bank.

Yes, I don't know how common this is but most people are very careful and don't actually carry funds in a bag or their pockets, etc. For example, I previously owned several businesses in Argentina where we dealt with cash. But never got robbed. I'd have these special socks where you could put them at the side of your pants on your leg. I could fit $40,000 US on each leg so $80,000 in your legs where you pull up your socks. You couldn't see it at all.
I have seen those. However, I don't think that we are the only two to know about them. If they point a gun at you, you empty your pockets... and sockets!

Rent a place for a few months and you''ll have a great part of your questions answered while here. Even for me, coming back to Argentina every year, several times a year on vacations to visit my family, did not prepare me enough for dealing with daily life and after moving back to BA and my worries are far different than those of my local friends and relatives.
P.S,: Society here has changed a lot so you might feel for sometimes like you landed in another planet.

Rent a place for a few months and you''ll have a great part of your questions answered while here. Even for me, coming back to Argentina every year, several times a year on vacations to visit my family, did not prepare me enough for dealing with daily life and after moving back to BA and my worries are far different than those of my local friends and relatives.
P.S,: Society here has changed a lot so you might feel for sometimes like you landed in another planet.
This is EXCELLENT advice. It's crazy not to rent in different areas and neighborhoods and see which you like the best before deciding where to settle down. And don't rush into buying as there are a ton of great deals renting these days with all the Airbnb options out there.

Lots of expats love many things about Buenos Aires but there is a lot that you probably never will get used to coming from a first world country like USA, Canada or UK. The biggest complaint for many will probably be the lack of efficiency in Argentina. Also, the customer service pretty much sucks in Argentina. And things like buying and returning things that don't work in Argentina is a hassle compared to the USA. All my friends that move to the USA from abroad (especially South America) are amazed with how easy it is to return stuff here in the USA. You can buy something and if it doesn't work you can easily return it to the store. Some places as much as several months after you purchased it.

In many places, you'll get the sense that they really don't care. For example, internet can go down for days and you'll call in and you don't get the sense that the person on the other end of the phone cares if you ever get service back. My mother in law that lives in Recoleta had her gas go out in her building due to someone reporting a gas smell. It took 8 MONTHS to get it fixed. I had a similar type issue in another apartment I owned and took several months.

Things like this can drive you truly mad. You'd never have a situation like this in a first world country with no gas or hot water for months upon months.

In first world countries you have organizations like Better Business Bureau that helps you resolve disputes. Even if Argentina says they have some agency, they really don't work well. Also, no real working judicial system or small claims court type set up like we have in the USA.

I'm NOT trying to compare the USA or other countries with Argentina because they are worlds apart. I just mention it as it's one thing that many people that don't know how it is there will drive themselves crazy if they don't go into retirement there in Argentina knowing a bit about things there.

Argentina is a wonderful country and overall I think I enjoy it more than the USA, especially for retirement. I think the healthcare system is FAR better in Argentina vs. the USA.

Worth considering ... your age group, marital status, sex, etc ?

In first world countries you have organizations like Better Business Bureau that helps you resolve disputes. Even if Argentina says they have some agency, they really don't work well. Also, no real working judicial system or small claims court type set up like we have in the USA.
Yes customer service is terrible here. Still, we had good luck with consumer defense agency taking our claim against a boiler supplier. They did two days of labor to install 6 radiators and test the piping system previously installed, in preparation for install of boiler. One month later the boiler arrived it was wrong model and they still tried to convince us to take. When the correct model arrived we filed a complaint. In the end we did not pay for any of the labor or the installed hardware. Still, it was a headache to find a new installer.

It is always good to remind any business who is failing to meet commitments of this agency. Much more than what I expect from the BBB in US. https://www.argentina.gob.ar/economia/comercio/defensadelconsumidor

....Much more than what I expect from the BBB in US.
(1) The BBB is not a government agency or a part of the judicial branch. They do not have the authority to force a business to resolve consumer complaints. This means that a business can ignore a BBB complaint. (2) The small claims court is a special court where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively. Hands down my choice would be #2.

I Have a banco nacion account and with that I have mercadopago. it really is convenient, and have US based cards asoaciated with the mercado pago account. I also get US dls through the informal system. my opinion the blue rate is key for fixed incomes here in AR. Contacts and discretion are very important though.

Good morning and happy Sunday!

I would like to thank all the people on this forum for the wonderful community that you’ve created here. Since I posted my question I’ve had a chance to look around and read your responses and many of your other posts, old and new, as well as a few DMs and can see that you are here to help each other, educate, recommend, all with good spirit and intent. This is great.

Additionally, all of you who have responded to my post have been very helpful. (It is hard to imagine the specific turns, twists and tricks one needs to know to manage well in Argentina, as I am sure they change relatively often. So, your wisdom is very much appreciated.) I am still figuring out how I can make a move and when exactly but all the details you shared tell me that this is a good possibility for me. (Maybe in a few months or a year?) I do plan on visiting for a few weeks in June/July, to check things out, too.

So, when I come, if I decide to settle somewhere in the provinces, I would be missing out on meeting you guys and gals in person for coffee or whatever you do when you get together.

Thanks again and keep up this great resource! And if I see anything I can contribute from a distance or when I move to Argentina, I will!

Back