Constant Internet

We went for Fibertel's 30Mbps a year or so ago and they've now upgraded us to 50 with no extra charge (so far).

Hola Gang,

So I moved into a new apartment building. The internet reliability is pretty bad. First week was great and then last 10 days have been extremely erratic. It keeps going out and was out most of the day last Wednesday. Given my work, I can't have this.

My current provider is Fibertel.

A while back, a guy told me that for constant internet in BA, you need two connections: One broadband connection and one DSL or ADSL. And obviously, they must be from two different providers. One through cable and one through phone. Then when one goes out, you just switch between them.

Made sense to me. An argentine friend and I went online yesterday and we could not find Speedy ADSL. I looked all through this forum and could not find this question.

I need constant internet access. How do I achieve this?

Thanks.

get 2 lines, I've got fibertel and telecentro. They've both been up most of the time in the last year or so before that both flaked out now and again.
For a backup i'm using 4g now tethered through my phone.

Get yourself one of these routers that can split the connections over two or more lines and you're laughing.

We went for Fibertel's 30Mbps a year or so ago and they've now upgraded us to 50 with no extra charge (so far).
Gringoboy- what up/down speeds are you seeing?
I have 12Mb corporate plan, gets local 11.4Mb/1.5Mb
I VPN to Atlanta, GA, USA. Just ran a test to there, 11.8Mb/0.8Mb
How do your results compare?

Fibertel said since I have corporate plan, I cannot switch to residential Evolution...

Hola Gang,

So I moved into a new apartment building. The internet reliability is pretty bad. First week was great and then last 10 days have been extremely erratic. It keeps going out and was out most of the day last Wednesday. Given my work, I can't have this.

My current provider is Fibertel.

A while back, a guy told me that for constant internet in BA, you need two connections: One broadband connection and one DSL or ADSL. And obviously, they must be from two different providers. One through cable and one through phone. Then when one goes out, you just switch between them.

Made sense to me. An argentine friend and I went online yesterday and we could not find Speedy ADSL. I looked all through this forum and could not find this question.

I need constant internet access. How do I achieve this?

Thanks.
My work is all via VPN, so I'm down if the connection is down. I've been using Fibertel Corporate plan for a 6 years and it's been very reliable the last years or so. I had Arnet as a backup but only used it once or twice and canceled it. It was so slow it really didn't allow for VPN or Skype.
For awhile, every time new neighbors moved in and connected, Fibertel service went down or was really slow.. Tech would come and add another filter to the co-ax to the modem and problem fixed.
While often lagging for video (FaceTime, Skype) and even voice, its generally adequate for VPN.
Apartment is in Nunez.

Gringoboy- what up/down speeds are you seeing?
I have 12Mb corporate plan, gets local 11.4Mb/1.5Mb
I VPN to Atlanta, GA, USA. Just ran a test to there, 11.8Mb/0.8Mb
How do your results compare?

Fibertel said since I have corporate plan, I cannot switch to residential Evolution...
Like this mate:

I'm getting the same for Fibertel in Cordoba. Pings are 12-20ms though. I've been using it for three years. 30MB until the recent change to 50MB. I use TunnelBear's Chrome extension and still test close to 30Mb when I ping New York. My streams are perfect and no buffering. TunnelBear is a VPN, but I believe the Chrome extension is a Proxy. Works all the same (better, since I don't lose bandwidth to the same degree as with the VPN app) for Comcast, HBOGo, Amazon, etc.

It's very stable, but I'm in a house. I don't have Cablevision service. I am able to get HD quality Copa America streams online as well (Sadly, not Futbol para Todos as they aren't licensed to stream it).

How is LTE in BsAs? Was just introduced here several months ago with Personal and Movistar. Might be a good back up too...with the right router (and provided the data rates don't kill you).

EDIT: Some people mentioned reaching out to Fibertel. It's definitely worth doing that. At my old house we were having some issues at one point. They were able to fix in a 15 minute visit.

I moved a couple weeks ago. The tech told me we were good to go. I did a couple tests. The first was perfect but five minutes later it lost connectivity. He pulled the ladder back off the truck and up the pole. It's been perfect since.

BTW. If you have the 50MB Evolution service, you can text Fibertel and they will call you in less than 5 minutes to troubleshoot, arrange a tech, or advise whether they have had issues in your zone. For a cable/internet company, I have had a very good experience.

My roomie and I had fibertel, not sure if he still has them, but our issue was the Motorola combo router/modem.
The signal is terrible, and we couldn't connect in our living room to watch True Detective/Game of Thrones/House of Cards
and that was upsetting us, and even me skyping from the same room the modem was in didn't help.

The solution was disabling the built in WiFi, opening up the ports on the gigabit ethernet port on the modem, and buying a
wireless "root-er". problem solved, we could actually browse at close to 20 mbps.

It needs to be said that Fibertel doesn't make it easy to do this, I had to google the steps and I think I found out how to
access the motorola management via some guide on taringa.

TL;DR fibertel is best, just buy a good wireless router and disable the built in one.

I have a TP-Link 300 Mbps wireless N router.

Is this considered a "good wireless router?"

I have a TP-Link 300 Mbps wireless N router.

Is this considered a "good wireless router?"

I think it's similar to the one I had, which was better then the default Motorola combo unit.

Remember, there are no ISPs in bsas that offer 300 mbps internet (well that the average man can afford) so you'll never use the max unless you're transferring data between devices on the same network. Wireless N is a more secure/faster/powerful standard, and right now the only thing above it for consumer purposes really is Wireless AC 2.5/5 GHZ, which again, if you're paying for 20 mbps with fibertel, you can even use G as it is up to 54mbps.

The only benefit a wireless AC router would have over your current one is if you store data on a NAS and want to stream it faster to devices, if you plan to (and are able to get Fiber Optic internet in bsas) or if you have a large apartment/are far away from your router and want a more powerful signal, but even then you can just get a signal repeater.

Back