Found details on another person who provides corn torrillas, sold by the dozen

SERVICIO DE CATERING EN ARGENTINA-
Silvia Ibarra -
TE: 4772 40 51
e-mail: silviaibarra
arroba.gif
ciudad.com.ar

http://www.elportaldemexico.com/servicios/catering/catering.htm

Amen Allcraz!!! Why must so many discussions on simple questions end up being a political issue or history lesson...or pointing fingers at peoples supposed lack of knowledge of different cultures foods?? Which had nothing to do with the original question in the first place...

You move to a new country and from time to time you have the need to try and locate foods you have a craving for...tastes you grew up with ....whatever...

If I could find wasabi peas, like the ones Trader Joe's sells, I would be one happy woman, lol!!

allcraz said:
Excuse me, but could it be possible that the original poster was simply asking if he could find a certain product without stating or subconsciously assuming that Argentina is Mexico? If someone asks for a good sushi recommendation, does that mean that the person is confusing Argentina with Japan?

I touch a nerve? Good if you can't see in a window or showcase a sushi what that is telling you? Is telling you that this kind of food is not consumed or very popular here, like whale meat, kangaroo meat or dogs and cats meat as they are in some Asian countries.

The question of this trendier foot such as Sushi is a beauty, well here people is not very found of seafood (at least not in his raw format), seafood still popular but is not "that popular" for that kind of foot you have to go to countries in the pacific rim, Chile, Peru, Ecuador etc. They are super in preparing this kind of meals.

Food here, as you all now by now is mostly based on (boring) beef and also isn't sophisticated or exotic, most the dishes are of Italian or Spanish in origin in some degree and the rest of Europe chuck in, Japanese Asian food was unknown and not consumed until the arrival of new immigrates from Asian countries on the last 25 years because of this it has become most accepted and readily available but still far away from what you can find in Canada or USA because as I said immigration is much, much recently.

Now when you are asking for sushi or tortillas (by the way the only tortillas know here are made with beaten eggs, potato and onion, or beaten eggs and spinach) or some other exotic Asian, Mexican, central American, Middle East or Eskimo food sure you will have this kid of reaction from locals, fine if you are asking but when some are complaining, moaning, whining about this or that because I can fin this or that like they can do in USA or Canada, well I tell you again this is not USA nor Canada, here what you see is what you get, nothing more nothing less.

Regarding the Corn Tortillas you should be able to make them with "harina de maiz" (maize flour) I believe readily available in any shop or supermarket.

No offence was intended or implied, if you feel I have been an ars...e please accept my apologies it wasn't my intention.

EvergreenGal said:
If I could find wasabi peas, like the ones Trader Joe's sells, I would be one happy woman, lol!!

Hi there,

Hope you are happy woman if I tell you that you can have those elusive wasabi peas at the Barrio Chino

Please read this post from staygolden

~some people have read this but I think it deservs its own section so people dont miss it. ~Im going to say this once (more).. and maybe people will stop talking about
Peanut Butter on this site all the damn time. EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS IN
CHINA TOWN!!!
I have found everything I craved in china town, hummus,
peanut butter, tahina, Grape Soda, curry, spices, Ramen noodles with
the msg flavour packs, Wasabi peas, mexican hot sauce, rooster sauce,
BUBBLE TEA!, a french press for 11$ pesos, kitch decor, TOFU, .. and
more and more and more and more and more. There is no problem being vegan or Vegetarian in this city either if you shop in china town. So If anyone wants to stop
complaining about how much they miss this stuff.. China town in the
place to go. Take bus 59, 60, 118 and numerous others to the BELGRANO
STATION, cross the railroad tracks and take an immediate LEFT. you are
there. GO NOW!!

Bon appetit!

Apparently in addition to flour and water, the masa contains a small quantity of lime (not the fruit, but the mineral). I don't know why, if anyone does, please enlighten me!

Lucas said:
I touch a nerve? Good if you can't see in a window or showcase a sushi what that is telling you? Is telling you that this kind of food is not consumed or very popular here, like whale meat, kangaroo meat or dogs and cats meat as they are in some Asian countries.

The question of this trendier foot such as Sushi is a beauty, well here people is not very found of seafood (at least not in his raw format), seafood still popular but is not "that popular" for that kind of foot you have to go to countries in the pacific rim, Chile, Peru, Ecuador etc. They are super in preparing this kind of meals.

Food here, as you all now by now is mostly based on (boring) beef and also isn't sophisticated or exotic, most the dishes are of Italian or Spanish in origin in some degree and the rest of Europe chuck in, Japanese Asian food was unknown and not consumed until the arrival of new immigrates from Asian countries on the last 25 years because of this it has become most accepted and readily available but still far away from what you can find in Canada or USA because as I said immigration is much, much recently.

Now when you are asking for sushi or tortillas (by the way the only tortillas know here are made with beaten eggs, potato and onion, or beaten eggs and spinach) or some other exotic Asian, Mexican, central American, Middle East or Eskimo food sure you will have this kid of reaction from locals, fine if you are asking but when some are complaining, moaning, whining about this or that because I can fin this or that like they can do in USA or Canada, well I tell you again this is not USA nor Canada, here what you see is what you get, nothing more nothing less.

Regarding the Corn Tortillas you should be able to make them with "harina de maiz" (maize flour) I believe readily available in any shop or supermarket.

No offence was intended or implied, if you feel I have been an ars...e please accept my apologies it wasn't my intention.

Sorry, but I think you need to start your medication again.

Celia said:
Apparently in addition to flour and water, the masa contains a small quantity of lime (not the fruit, but the mineral). I don't know why, if anyone does, please enlighten me!

It's left over from the processing of the corn used to make the masa harina. The corn is soaked in a lime solution. "The solution frees up available nutrients and proteins in the grain, making it accessible to consumers and thereby raising the nutritional value of the grain. The process also makes grains easier to grind and handle."

Here you can read all about it.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-nixtamalization.htm

How to Make Corn Tortillas
Rolling Your Own

TexasCooking.com

Stanexpat said:
Sorry, but I think you need to start your medication again.

BTW:
Stanexpat I forgot to buy them can I borrow some from you? I think they are the same medication, thanks man! You rock!

Masa flour is basically a staple in all Spanish speaking Latin American countries with an indigenous population. There was just a little problem with ethnic cleansing in Argentina back in the 19th Century and therefore you can only find people who use masa flour in the north (Salta & Jujuy) because either their ancestors weren't killed off, or more likely their relatives moved back into Argentina from Chile & Bolivia.

Those tortilla chips are called "NACHOS". And here, when people say that word, they usually are talking about the chips and not the Tex-Mex concoction.

NO, Argentina is not Mexico... although sometimes it feels like it.

To quote the great Southern California civil rights activist Rodney King- "Can we all get along?"

The Corn flour ready available in supermarlets is a kind of flour that is used to make "Polenta" and it does not work for making tortillas..

I went to Chinatown to buy corn flour that in the package said was especially to make tortillas/nachos but when we tried it out with friends it didn´t work.... it was still the corn flour used to make Polenta...

If anyone has better luck, or finds masa somewhere please let me know :)
In the meantime am ordering them ready made from the mexican woman Silvia Ibarra....

Back