Corn Tortillas

Rapiditas Bimbo at any Jumbo supermarket and probably others as well.

0000053859.gif

Yes, those are wheat flour tortillas which are widely available.....

The difficulty is(was) in finding corn-flour tortillas.....

allcraz said:
Excuse me, but could it be possible that the original poster was simply asking if he could find a certain product without stating or subconsciously assuming that Argentina is Mexico? If someone asks for a good sushi recommendation, does that mean that the person is confusing Argentina with Japan?

Dont play stupid....

We all know the prejudice.....

It looks like you may be able to get corn flour (aka masa harina, although in this case they do not treat the corn with lime) for tortillas/tamales in Buenos Aires. In Catamarca, there's a company called Maices Andinos - check the website for more info: http://www.maicesandinos.com.ar/

They apparently sell it in Buenos Aires, too.
Comercialización en Buenos Aires: Queen Frut
Pabellón 11 módulos 43-45. Mercado Central de Bs. As.
Tel: 4462-2205

When I'm in Buenos Aires mid December I can try phoning them. If anyone else wants to check this lead out, that would be great. Please post your findings.

Another option, if you are very friendly with the people at your local vegetable stand, is to ask them to check it out for you at the Central Market. Perhaps they can pick you up some corn flour...

You could also ask one of the Salta/Jujuy/Tucuman restaurants where they get their "masa" for the tamales. Humita uses fresh corn but tamales are most likely made from the flour. And what about these people mentioned earlier who sell corn tortillas - what are they using?

Actually, if you can find a Mexican restaurant here that serves corn tortillas, you can probably buy some from them.

I know two that do, but unfortunately the one that's in the city I've only been to once and don't remember exactly where it is or its name. It's a little hole-in-the-wall taco place in Palermo Hollywood. The owners are two Mexicans, although their tacos/burritos and such are closer to Argentine style than Mexican or Tex-Mex. They're still good, though, better than many Argentine versions of tacos I've had in other places here.

There's a place out here in Pilar that is also owned by a Mexican family and I have bought corn tortillas from them before. In fact, when I go there I usually buy 4-5 bags of tortilla chips. Both the corn tortillas and tortilla chips are imported from Mexico, they told me. I don't know where to find them though, outside of buying through the owners of the restaurant.

Easier than the Central Market. You can get masa harina (and other kinds of flour (rice flour, gluten free flour, those corn flours used in Peru & Paraguay, semolina, etc) at Casa Polti Juramento & Cuidade de la Paz. There's all kinds of goodies in the shop.

Then you can go to the market there & go to the -wonderful- fiambreria (Viamonte?).

And who was looking for Andes potatoes? There is also a stand in that market dedicated to potatoes. Many many different kinds, Andes potatoes, sweet potatoes, manioca, purple potatoes, etc. etc...

Lucas said:
Guys, Gals..Argentina is NOT Mexico, no tortillas, no spicy food, no fajitas, no burritos, no jalapenos, no tabasco, no guacamole, no mariachis singing with big sombreros, not here...sorry.

But probably you can get the ingredients if wish to cook at home.

you left out beans

why is the Argentine word for beans different than the Mexican word when Argentines dont even eat beans?

RWS said:
The level of North American ignorance is amazing -- many Americans think that all Latin America is similar to Mexico -- and equalled only by Latin American ignorance of the United States and Canada -- the poor folk think that the big and little silver screens are genuinely reflective of realities north of the Rio Grande.

th euro attitude gets old, especially when the most ambition euros prefer to live in the US and all you haters secretly love our popular culture.

dont get me started on the adventurous europeans habit of basing their vacations solely on the lonely planet.

Ries said:
Since corn tortillas are available in most grocery stores in the USA and Canada, including Alaska, as well as much farther south than Mexico.
Its not really THAT offensive to ask if they are available in BsAs.

No more so than the people who ask about Marmite or Jarlsberg cheese.

Masa flour is a staple food in Ecuador, and Peru, for example.

the real question is why Argentines harbor a prejudice against Mexicans?

Ryoga said:
th euro attitude gets old, especially when the most ambition euros prefer to live in the US and all you haters secretly love our popular culture.

dont get me started on the adventurous europeans habit of basing their vacations solely on the lonely planet.

Nice to react to rude comments but being just as rude....

Back