Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I am writing this from a small town in the Argentinian countryside and looking at the cases explode in Buenos Aires I do feel a sense of safety here .

I like someone to explain to me logically why Northern Italy has now over 1000 deaths and now over 12000 confirmed cases and countries that are just next door to China like Vietnam . Malaysia , and Singapore with so few cases and zero deaths . The arguments do not add up about close personal contacts as Vietnam and Malaysia are countries that are very overpopulated with large families compared to Italians ( Also Italians are very clean people )

There are tens (of not hudreds) of thousands of Chinese living in Northern Italy. Of course many of them travel to and from China, including Wuhan.

As the Chinese government was slow to reveal the truth about the virus, the Italians were powerless to take any action.

The virus was allowed to simmer and spread without detection long enough to light the fuse for the eventual and inevitable explosion.

PS: What has happened so far in Argentinaa is relatively minor by comparison and I wouldn´t call it an explosion...

...at least not yet.

PS2¨I felt relatively safer where I am earlier this moring, but that was before I saw so many people hugging and kissing each other in the shops and on the sidewalks of Punta Alta, just before noon...

Fortunately, that´s not something that happens within several hundred meters from my hoouse.

Last edited:
There are tens (of not hudreds) of thousands of Chinese living in Northern Italy. Of course many of them travel to and from China, including Wuhan.

As the Chinese government was slow to reveal the truth about the virus, the Italians were powerless to take any action.

The virus was allowed to simmer and spread without detection long enough to light the fuse for the eventual and inevitable explosion.

Thank you for your reply Steve !

Malaysia , Vietnam , Indonesia , and Thailand have a much larger chinese population than Italy . I do not see in these countries the exponiental growth of cases as Italy . This to me needs further investigating for the real reasons why .

Italy has less than 400 thousand chinese citizens compared to many millions in Vietnam , Indonesia , and Malaysia

Last edited:
Perry what is your thought? I'm guessing that China may have fudged the numbers and probably there are deaths and cases not reported in countries like Vietnam.

I would be more apt to trust numbers out of Singapore and South Korea. It seems like they are having more success than Italy at the moment.

Has anyone else noticed how overrepresented famous people are amongst the victims of corona virus? Politicians, sports stars, actors. Famous people make up an infinitely small percentage of the population. To take just one example, in Australia, there are supposedly just over 100 cases, yet three of them (Tom Hanks and wife, and a MacLaren team Formula 1 driver) are famous people. You can't help but conclude that if such a tiny group within the population are so enormously over-represented in the statistics, that the statistics are enormously under counting the real numbers of infected people. I would suggest that if famous people get infected at rates no higher than ordinary people, if they make up nearly 3% of the total number in Australia, the real total number of infected people there must already be in the tens of thousands.

A friend who lives in Malaysia (a country near the epicenter of the crisis and that has a development level, economy size and population size similar to that of Argentina) sent me this today:

9div3szyc8m41.jpg

X6rTjYi.jpg

Malaysia is in the blue. This is where we want Argentina to be.

Last edited:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Update to my earlier post. One of the most senior politicians in Australia (ironically the Home Affairs and Border Security Minister) has just tested positive. So now four out of the slightly more than 100 cases are famous people. There must be huge numbers of ordinary people unknowingly infected there.

Malaysia , Vietnam , Indonesia , and Thailand have a much larger chinese population than Italy . I do not see in these countries the exponiental growth of cases as Italy . This to me needs further investigating for the real reasons why .

Italy has less than 400 thousand chinese citizens compared to many millions in Vietnam , Indonesia , and Malaysia

Maybe due to their warmer climates. The virus seems to be more active in colder places.

PS2¨I felt relatively safer where I am earlier this moring, but that was before I saw so many people hugging and kissing each other in the shops and on the sidewalks of Punta Alta, just before noon...

Fortunately, that´s not something that happens within several hundred meters from my hoouse.

I can only imagine takes me right back to my first week in Argentina standing on the balcony of my hotel after having witnessed a week of shared mate, shared eating utensils, hugging, kissing, no personal space etc.. And thinking to myself with my decades old medical work background....

If there is a ever a real epidemic or pandemic here these people could get wiped out, it would spread like crazy at high rate.

Here the government is trying to inform people to stop this conduct of sharing mate, wash your hands, cover your face when you cough etc. Yet so few seem to be paying attention. Sitting at my neighbors the other morning a young man comes, I do not even know him, and he gives me the typical URU cheek kiss greeting. Wait a few minutes bail to the house and wash up LOL! Thinking all the while that could be all it takes to wipe me out as well.

I think I am going to get a tshirt with the below printed on the front and the back of it.

PLEASE DO NOT!

Hug, kiss, shake hands,
cough, or sneeze on me
until the Coronavirus
pandemic is over.

THANK YOU FOR
YOUR COOPERATION

A very sobering article about how prepared the United States is for this pandemic . For those who have critiziced Italy its medical system is superior to the USA and one of the best of Europe . Looking at Italy now its very frightening how quickly this developed . Less than 6 weeks ago the 31.01.2020 they had their first two confirmed cases from chinese tourists .Today they have over 15,000 cases confirmed and the highest death rate in the world for the coronavirus .

Like most expats in Argentina I am scared of the future as we have the perfect storm of a economic collapse and now this virus that our medical system is not prepared for . I worked for five years as a registered nurse in a Sydney hospital and I remember clearly how stressful this job is . Those very brave doctors and nurses fighting this in Italy and the world are the heroes that need to be valued . In Argentina I fear that many of them due to very bad working conditions and wages will just not come to work . Nurses are chronically overworked and underpaid even in developed countries and as a society this will let us down in how me manage this virus and future epidemics .

The best way to handle this virus if you can afford it is to isolate yourself in a very remote place for three months until the tide of infections goes down substantially . Those preppers that many on this forum made objects of ridicule will have the best chance of survival . In Argentina we have an inmense land and there are literally hundreds of remote locations that could be perfect to ride this out .

Best of luck everyone .

Last edited:
Back