Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
In my opinion, this is by far the best post in this thread (including all of mine).

Since I first read this I've learned that it is possible to spread the disease well before he onset of physical symptoms.

That means that, even if there wasn't a plane full of folks sneezing and coughing during Jeff's 16 hours flight from Asia to BA, it's quite possible none of them were infected with the Coronavirus, while others with no symptoms were spreading the virus.

He didn't say he actually flew from China to BA, so who knows at this point how great the change anyone on board has been exposed. Perhaps none whatsoever, but that was just one flight...

If and when the virus is detected in Argentina, whet will happen next will depend on how bad it's impact has already been felt in other parts of the world. If the mortality rate is high where the virus has spread, well see a rush to the stores to buy as much as possible to try to weather the storm.

At some point (perhaps in less than a week) the stores will probably be looted and people carrying groceries will be attacked in the streets, including the looters

If anyone wants to call this "prediction" fear mongering or stupid, please feel free to do so.

I think it would extremely unwise not to prepare for the worst by stocking up on at least a months worth off supplies ASAP.

If nothing bad happens, at least you won't have to buy any of those items for a month.

If it does, those who didn't prepare will be the ones calling themselves stupid.

Steve, I pretty much ignore the periodic panics like the Y2K, the Swine Flu, etc. But China has quarantined 50 million people, they're building 1000 bed hospitals specifically for this flu, airlines and cruise ships have cancelled stops in China, leading me to think that they know more than they are reporting.

When boarded our flight in Hanoi the approx 150 sick chinese boarded with us. They were almost all working age men. My wife counted sneezes or coughing every 30 seconds.

Fortunately it's been a week we don't seem to have contracted the illness. Here's what the CDC says about it's spread.

www.cdc.gov › flu › about › disease › spread
How Flu Spreads | CDC

People with flu are most contagious in the first 3-4 days after their illness begins. Some otherwise healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick.

Four days ago:
Most of the Chino Supermarket employees hail from Fujian province. As you can see from this map, Fujian province is almost surrounded by the hardest hit provinces (province across from Taiwan).

This is the first really stupid post I have seen on this board. It is pure fear mongering. Almost racist. (next will the author will suggest an internment camp for the chineses employees?)

Today:
China has quarantined 50 million people, they're building 1000 bed hospitals specifically for this flu, airlines and cruise ships have cancelled stops in China, leading me to think that they know more than they are reporting.

Does this mean the Chinese government is pursuing racist policies against 50 million Chinese people. (at least thus far)?

I think it means they are fearful, really very, very fearful...

...and for a very good reason.

PS: It's obviously unnecessary to build an internment camp when a government can quarantine entire cities, and I believe that this was done after fewer than 100 people had reportedly died from the Corona virus.

Let's just hope that it wasn't a case of too little, too late.

Last edited:
When boarded our flight in Hanoi the approx 150 sick chinese boarded with us. They were almost all working age men. My wife counted sneezes or coughing every 30 seconds.

Fortunately it's been a week we don't seem to have contracted the illness.

It's good to know you and your wife haven't contracted the illness.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Yesterday CBNC reported that the mayor of Wuhan said that five million inhabitants of Wuhan had left the city (many to celebrate he Lunar New Year ) before the quarantine went into effect.

Mongolia has closed it's border with China. So has North Korea.

It has been reported that the incubation period can vary from one day to two weeks and those who are infected can spread the virus before any symptoms are present.

It's good to know you and your wife haven't contracted the illness.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your good wishes Steve. Fortunately we're fine, so far. But we have developed a craving for Wonton Soup, don't know if this is connected to the virus, hope not. We've also started using chopsticks at home. (I know I'm a racist!! I'm a racist!! Couldnt resist.)

Is it too early for an EOTWAWKI thread?

Some things don't add up.
China can export Kon Pao flavored Soylent Green to half of the galaxy without having to tweak the demographic statistics. Completely off the books. Hush hust. Nada.
Yet they worry about one domestic flight plane crash worth of dead bodies? Millions in quarantine?
Something is wrong. Very, very wrong.
Are they suddenly worried about their population. Are chinese lives worth something now?
Methinks that what really worries them is or should be international trade and closing borders sets the worst example.
Ebola outbreaks have killed more people in less time. They are self containing, but nevertheless, don't create such a reaction.

Regardless, better safe than sorry.

Can we have our TEOTWAWKI thread now please? I'll just have to remove all my zombie references and replace them with disease. SSDD.

Iz

Even if the outbreak of the Coronavirus was not the result of a deliberate act by any government or sinister organization, if it turns into a world wide pandemic that kills millions of people by the time it "runs it's course" and/or a vaccine is developed, those who would like to see a dramatic reduction of the world's population (including mega rich "humanitarians") will no doubt be hoping for (if not funding) the next one.

this could be an addendum to mein kampf but what other value is questionable.
You sound like Stalin in Tango Shoes.

Back