Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
La Nacion video on the Corona virus. It's in Spanish and I don't understand it completely (BTW on a recent trip back to Canada when I told a Millennial I was trying to learn Spanish, she said I shouldn't do it because it was "Cultural Appropriation." Canada is absolutely nuts now...

At 8:30 the video talks about what I talked about in my first post - which Rich One says is racist.
Of all the talk of Coronavirus in this thread, what concerns/scares me the most is that the young (I guess Canadian) woman on the plane told you were practicing cultural appropriation by learning Spanish, someone else's language. I know you all are going to say, but she's an extremist. But why would she be an extremist? Is learning another's language so different from writing about people that are not like you, wearing their clothes, singing their music? Just asking. Can someone who buys into this theory of cultural appropriation please explain the difference to me? I am really, truly failing to see it, even though it invalidates, renders null and void what I have spent most of my life doing. In one quick judgement, it's all gone.

Of all the talk of Coronavirus in this thread, what concerns/scares me the most is that the young (I guess Canadian) woman on the plane told you were practicing cultural appropriation by learning Spanish, someone else's language. I know you all are going to say, but she's an extremist. But why would she be an extremist? Is learning another's language so different from writing about people that are not like you, wearing their clothes, singing their music? Just asking. Can someone who buys into this theory of cultural appropriation please explain the difference to me? I am really, truly failing to see it, even though it invalidates, renders null and void what I have spent most of my life doing. In one quick judgement, it's all gone.
I think the Cultural Appropriation started off with Halloween costumes and then like a cancer it spread to other things, like baseball team names, etc. That's my vague recollection of it but I'm sure someone studied the origin of it in depth. It's complete and utter nonsense, so I just ignore it. Canadians are by there nature overly polite and susceptible to this PC nonsense. I avoid the country of my birth whenever possible.

According to a piece in Clarin, this is the Chinese market where corona virus first showed up.

112 different species of animals are offered for sale: if it walks, crawls, flies, glides, hops, or swims, it will be eaten.

Last edited:
What really irks me is I spent a ton of money on tin foil and now I have to buy a freaking two thousand peso gas mask...
That's easy for "The Hermit of the Pampas" to say who, I read, has a bunker in the nether regions of Bahia Blanca province.

That is probably one of the safest places in the world.

You're going to be living large on cured sausage whilst the typical BAexpat is collapsing on Av Santa Fe...

Last edited:
I think the Cultural Appropriation started off with Halloween costumes and then like a cancer it spread to other things, like baseball team names, etc. That's my vague recollection of it but I'm sure someone studied the origin of it in depth. It's complete and utter nonsense, so I just ignore it. Canadians are by there nature overly polite and susceptible to this PC nonsense. I avoid the country of my birth whenever possible.
I know this thread is not about this topic, so I'll make this comment and then stop. I too think it's nonsense. I just wish that people who embrace it would realize the far reaching consequences. I bet the day is coming when students may refuse to learn another language or schools refuse to teach them. Just another step in a what would be a logical progression for some.

That's easy for "The Hermit of the Pampas" to say who, I read, has a bunker in the nether regions of Bahia Blanca province.

It´s a minor point, but Bahia Blanca is a city in the nether regions of the province of Buenos Aires and I live closer to Punta Alta..

That is probably one of the safest places in the world.

That´s why this was and still is the best place I could find for "Going Galt"in Argentina...almost exactly ten years ago to this day.

You're going to be living large on cured sausage whilst the typical BAexpat is collapsing on Av Santa Fe...

Actually, rice beans, and free range chicken..as long as the supplies last.

Back