Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Regarding your over optimistic response on China I suggest that common sense applies. Most small and médium sides businesses are close to bankruptcy as there is no cash flow. They have at best two months left before the majority will be in liquidación. How can a economy grow 4 percent if there is absolutely no economic activity ?

It is not my over optimistic response but the response of the senior banking and health institutions and the leading economists consulted by Reuters. They do not seem to be devoid of common sense or expertise.

Thanks Joglide for your rational, well-informed post. A good balance for those of the Chicken Little persuasion, eager to announce that the sky is falling....!

Let me add that the US stockmarket seems to be bouncing back.

Last edited:
Interesting data-driven analysis on the effects of previous epidemics on market returns (spoiler: massive short-term dips but zero long-term impact):

Will the coronavirus follow the same path? Who knows! But no matter what happens, the majority of the world will probably live on and be able to continue bickering about abortion and viruses on internet forums.

Suerte!

China has not and cannot tell the truth that is impossible for them that means we still really have little information to work with except that this virus spreads so fast that it virtually knocked air pollution and normal road traffic in a country of 1 billion down by over 50%. End of the world not yet a lot pain very possible. So worst case scenario I know I have done all I can do.
I started to get a better more detailed picture of the characteristics of this virus when I started monitoring South Korea's situation. So far the S Korean government has proven to be the more reliable & transparent out of all the affected countries in my humble opinion.

So, last night at EZE- when you go to the automated maquina to get your baggage stickers, there is a question that asks if you have been in china in the last 2 weeks.
I press no, and we are done.
After that, no thermometers, no questions about illness, all the way thru to sitting on the plane.
Of the 2000 or so people I saw at EZE, maybe 30 or 40 were wearing face masks, and half of those were asian tourists. I have been seeing asian tourists wearing facemasks while travelling, both in Argentina and in the USA, for 2 or 3 years now- nothing abnormal.

Landing in Los Angeles- no special screening or questions whatsoever. There might have been a china question on the automatic machine at customs, right there with have you been on a farm- but no followup, no thermometers, no personal questions by the customs agents. At 6am in LA, there are 3 big flights from Australia (which, of course, is in asia) along with the BA flight- so, maybe 800 people waiting at customs- and again, maybe 5% at most wearing face masks.

No apparent extra screening or concern that I could see.
Of course, I wasnt on a plane from South Korea or China- so its possible they do more screening on those.

Then, flying to Everett Wa- the "epicenter" of doom. Nobody on the plane wearing a mask, no screening or thermometers at the airport. Its a small airport, probably 200 people coming and going at 7 on a weds night- and, of those, maybe a dozen wearing masks.

Driving across rural Washington, no burning piles of corpses, no big red "C"s painted on doors, no apparent plague prepping going on. Possibly a bit less traffic on the freeway- I think fewer people are driving the hour and a half from where I live, to Seatlle, and, today, I will go shopping in my local small town, and I expect to see 10% to 20% less casual browsers than usual.

But in general, my report from Washington State is that, sadly for all you Walking Dead fans, the zombie apocalypse has not hit yet.
Will keep you posted, as we spiral into the stage of bulldozing thousands of bodies into lime pits, which, no doubt, will come Next Week, just like the previews on TV show.

Driving across rural Washington, no burning piles of corpses, no big red "C"s painted on doors, no apparent plague prepping going on. Possibly a bit less traffic on the freeway- I think fewer people are driving the hour and a half from where I live, to Seatlle, and, today, I will go shopping in my local small town, and I expect to see 10% to 20% less casual browsers than usual.

Your mistake was only looking for obvious signs. You should have looked up, there were probably vultures circling you the whole way.

First mutation of the virus discovered. Interesting.

https://www.youthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYPZHA-UjUYube.com/watch?v=FYPZHA-UjUY

Your mistake was only looking for obvious signs. You should have looked up, there were probably vultures circling you the whole way.
Actually, the scavengers were I live are Bald Eagles. This time of year, I have 2 or 3 in my yard most days, and they eat road kill, steal ducks from duck hunters, and, in general, inhabit the place in the food chain that Vultures do in cartoons. No noticeable increase in Eagles yet.

Back