Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I read this article this morning, and find it pretty sensible and informative. The historical perspective, and the take on the cruise ship as a controlled experiment both ring pretty true.

So this morning up early and reading this read I decided to 'ignore' the sensationalist that isn't even in Argentina, put a few pins in his voodoo doll and then headed out to shop in the area around Las Heras, Pueyreddon, French and check the vibe on the street. Yesterday, on the same route, life was full tilt with dog walkers, women wheeling kids in strollers, foot traffic & in the afternoon the parks full of kids and parents, people shopping - the normal beautiful Argentine rhythms that make up daily life here. This morning, people were about if fewer on the streets, more cars stacked up waiting for lights to change, buses some partially filled, some full. Newspapers, front page, politics and legal issues.
I talked to the encargado of my building and found out the Italian guy identified with the virus on Monday is/was living 3 blocks away. His pre-occupation however is things reported in the news - China, Italy, etcetera.
Reis's report on departing Ezeiza and beyond, revealing. My concern this morning is not outside the country or even outside Buenos Aires. My concern is gaming out how a place I characterize as 'the pump don't work cause the vandal stole the handle (Bob Dylan), is going to manage the daily life of it's citizens and businesses and the food chain, the health system testing and triaging people.
With all the foregone experiences and control remedies from outside, if only Argentina government would show leadership.

Actually, the scavengers were I live are Bald Eagles. This time of year, I have 2 or 3 in my yard most days, and they eat road kill, steal ducks from duck hunters, and, in general, inhabit the place in the food chain that Vultures do in cartoons. No noticeable increase in Eagles yet.
Maybe we need to extend our graphic novels from Walking Dead, End of Things, etc. which have prepped everyone for the apocalyptic virus scenario and return to good old Marvel? The virus began with bats so we need to challenge Mr. Wayne on his friendship with these pets and if he is keeping his eyes firmly on Gotham's skyline. Just a thought Bruce.

Trump says you can even go to work if you have corona flu. No problem!

Can you imagine being a front line doctor or nurse listening to this? Oh sure El Presidente send out the spreaders so we can be totally overrun with the ones that do get very sick. Having worked in hospitals in nursing many moons ago I can tell you this is the absolute babbling of very dangerous, ignorant and insane human being. Stopping the spread is the best way to contain but oh no just go to work. Of course most are getting better but somewhere between 1% to 3% are going to die and larger percentage will need serious medical attention. Lets just spread it so health related costs sky rocket people end up in health care bankrupt senarios and put elder and weaker health care workers at risk as well.

Last edited:
Regarding the death rates of this virus, I often hear people casually mention the 1% to 3% figure, but I think most forget to price in that this figure is only likely while there's no saturation of the health system on a sunny day, in theory. But go to Iran with it's third world health infrastructure and you quickly see rates of 10% and above...and this is while it doesn't mutate into something more deadly.

Regarding the death rates of this virus, I often hear people casually mention the 1% to 3% figure, but I think most forget to price in that this figure is only likely while there's no saturation of the health system on a sunny day, in theory. But go to Iran with it's third world health infrastructure and you quickly see rates of 10% and above...and this is while it doesn't mutate into something more deadly.

Iran actually has the most modern and sophisticated health system in the middle east .

The issue in Iran they not tested enough people meaning that the death rate seems much higher .

The USA has 11 deaths and only 149 postive cases This is higher than Irans conversion rate and with the draconian medical system of the USA that makes you pay to have the coronavirus test we will never know how many people really have it now .

euters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-cdc/us-cdc-reports-149-coronavirus-cases-including-those-under-investigation-idUSKBN20S25Q

Last edited:
The USA has 11 deaths and only 149 postive cases This is higher than Irans conversion rate ...

There is no commercial test kit yet that can be directly applied in the field. Until recently people were sending biological samples to a single place in Washington state and just waited for results.

I guess higher rate just reflects a fact that they perform coronavirus test postmortem, but do not check everybody who can be potentially infected.

I asked a friend in the US - an experienced MD whose opinion I trust - how worried I should be about this virus.

Here's his reply:

"I am not an expert on this but I think it is inevitable that it will be a pandemic. Two of the reasons are that it is easily spread (more easily than first thought) and that most cases are mild and unreported.

But the death rate of 2%, in my opinion, is exaggerated because so many people are infected and can spread the disease and don't even know it. And it is spreadable long before a person has clinical symptoms.

With that in mind, it seems as though the people in nursing homes and infants are most at risk. And the people who are in and out of hospitals with recurring exacerbation of illnesses are most at risk.

The death rate among the normal population seems to be very low. One problem is that we have not yet hit widespread illness in countries like the US where we can get really exact information - although Trump seems to be interfering with the ability of the Center for Disease Control to release valid information."

In the interest of practical solutions, this e-mail ad just out from MercadoLibre. Somebody is on the ball all ready. Del super a tu casa
ML_MLA_Stockearte_HeaderEmail.jpg:

Back