Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I have heard that hospitals are being told not to report cases because of the panic it will cause... Things are a lot worse than what the Government is saying. Argentina will end up in a similiar situation to Europe and panic/supermarket looting will follow. The worst is yet to come - and this is in summer with high humidity. Wait until cooler temperatures come the virus will spread quicker. Argentina is not built custom wise/infrastructure for what is coming. Everyone please do your best to avoid gatherings/touching/kissing etc so this shit can pass and we can all get back to a normal life.

The time to isolate (if you can) is now.

Montevideo starts off with 4 cases today. Sniff around in the early AM for a few things looks nuts then it is a no go we are good to go anyway. Time to buckle up and tuck in all systems engaged. I do believe we have lift off across the region now.

I have heard that hospitals are being told not to report cases because of the panic it will cause... Things are a lot worse than what the Government is saying. Argentina will end up in a similiar situation to Europe and panic/supermarket looting will follow. The worst is yet to come - and this is in summer with high humidity. Wait until cooler temperatures come the virus will spread quicker. Argentina is not built custom wise/infrastructure for what is coming. Everyone please do your best to avoid gatherings/touching/kissing etc so this shit can pass and we can all get back to a normal life.
You have heard? From who? Back it up or join the rest of the sensational posters here, without merit.
And check Wikipedia which keeps a daily detailed log of reported cases and where they occurred. And explain why they're wrong.

In the middle of this I think a big THANK YOU is in order for the admins and hosters of this forum. At this time this resource is invaluable for us as we have been able to evaluate, share information and plans in such a critical time. I know I have been a bit of bad ass yankee here and there but thank you for this place to evaluate, share information and plan it has been invaluable in the last few months. Who ever you are THANK YOU!

You have heard? From who? Back it up or join the rest of the sensational posters here, without merit.
And check Wikipedia which keeps a daily detailed log of reported cases and where they occurred. And explain why they're wrong.
From a person in my family who deals with hospitals everyday - I know its hard to believe but Governments like to tell mistruths. I don't give a shit if you believe me or not - I have no reason to lie about such a random thing. LOL at believing anything this Government says - next you will tell me inflation is back below 20% YOY and the economy is doing great - just ask the Government.

Here’s some advice from experts in Washington state that I found useful:

Coronavirus Pep Talk! It’s hard to strike the balance between freaking out and under-reacting. It may help to remember a few things:

1. Public Health and your personal health are not the same thing. The health of individuals and the health of the population are connected, obviously, but the focus matters. The response to coronavirus (covid-19) in King County is a public health response. The goal is to protect the community as a whole. Your role as an individual is to do your small part to cooperate in the larger project, for the good of the whole community. Think of it as part of your civic duty. A war effort without the war.
  2. As an individual, you don’t have to be any more scared of this new virus than you were of the viruses you already knew about. If your immune system is not compromised, if you do not have a health condition that puts you at risk, if you are not part of a particularly vulnerable group, then you are probably going to be fine. If, on the other hand, you are already at greater than average risk from something like the flu, then this virus is probably also more dangerous for you.
  3. If you are individually at risk, the recommendations for you – stay home; avoid large gatherings; vigilant handwashing – are to protect yourself from getting sick.
  4. For the rest of us who are not worried about getting sick: your individual risk of getting sick is not the point. The point of “social distancing” (work from home if you can; stay off public transit, especially at busy times; don’t hold large gatherings) is to slow down the rate of transmission of the virus in the general public. We know the covid-19 virus is circulating in Washington State. We can assume lots of people have been and will be exposed to it. Every time you get on a bus or go to a meeting, you increase the odds that the virus gets passed from one person to another. Again: it’s not about preventing you from getting sick. It is about giving covid-19 fewer opportunities to multiply.
  5. So, if this virus is already out there, and most people who get it have mild symptoms, why does it matter if it spreads slowly or quickly? For one thing, if fewer people get sick then fewer people will get dangerously sick, and then even fewer people will die. Second, slowing it down buys time, and time really matters, especially at this early point in this outbreak. Remember that this virus is brand new in humans. There is no vaccine. There is no treatment. There is no natural immunity in anybody in the population. There is still a lot we don’t know about exactly how it moves and what it does. Buying time means delaying a massive outbreak until we are closer to having effective treatment and closer to having a vaccine. Buying time means avoiding massive stress on the health care system that could affect many more people with all kinds of health needs. Buying time might mean that some natural immunity builds up – people who have been exposed this year might be less vulnerable next year.
  6. For most of us, this is serious, but not dangerous. Your role is critical because protecting public health is a group effort that takes massive cooperation. The way you think about this and talk to others about it can either encourage or discourage cooperation. Please try to encourage each other. Find a source of information you can trust. Ask questions. Listen to science. Use common sense and compassion. Don’t let fear make you cynical. Don’t let cynicism numb your sense of responsibility to other people. Stay connected, just not too close. Hang in there. Wash your hands.

(This is a mirror, the original is paywalled).

“In literal terms, we have no idea about the number of cases because nobody has tested to any meaningful extent,” says Marc Lipsitch, a professor of epidemiology at Harvard. “Tens of thousands of cases in the US seems plausible,” he adds.

There is a very good piece from inside Italian lock-down zone on the foolhardy behaviour of some Italians in regard to shopping and public gathering when there were public warnings. I have just been reliably told that a group of 30 Italians have just arrived in BA to dance tango, breaking the quarantine and worse that six of them were at a milonga event in Ferrara where there was a confirmed outbreak. This means that there is a fairly high prospect that one or more are carriers and that they will be infectious. I really like the Italian attitude to come se come sa but in this instance the consequences could be unnecessary infection of the large tango population from around the world with a good chance of multiple cross infections. Taking responsibility, I will probably avoid milongas for a while even though they are the friendliest places around.
Pretty much all of the milongas in Buenos Aires are closed for the time being as of this week. I will be very unhappy not to be dancing, but I don't want to get sick. Also, I am over 65. All the more reason to be very careful.

At this stage of the game, I would say even if it's fear mongering, it's plain old common sense. For every case they report, you have to multiply it by at least 10 or even 20x. Don't wait for 'confirmation' from 'official figures' ha ha, you would have to live in fantasy land to believe them. This is the real world, this is Argentina. Nothing new in that message. If people are not able to psychologically deal with the reality that is fast approaching now, how will they cope with the real thing when it happens? Denial is deadly at this juncture in time.

Plan for a scenario where you can't go out the door for a month or two, what are the vital essentials? I bet we'll be like Italy in two to three weeks, maybe even worse when workers fail to report for work & supply lines break down, ad hunger and desperation to the mix and you have to at least be very cautious in everything you plan & do in this city.

Last edited:
I think this NY Times article today explains there being no stock of alcohol santizers or alcohol gel sanitizers in local pharmacies!!
Although the article is focused in the US and Amazon seller accounts what they describe is exactly what looks to be happening here in Buenos Aires.
Local businesses (pharmacies, hospital pharmacy at hospital Aleman) have no alcohol products available to sell but if you go online to Mercado Libre there you find it for sale at varying prices. How widespread this is in Argentina, no idea, but so far I've been unable to turn up locally pharmacies with stock of alcohol.
Read the entire article, for pulling back the curtain on a phenomenon and revealing the appalling mercenaries trying to make a fortune off of the pandemic.

Back