Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
March 10, 2020
The new coronavirus spreads through respiratory droplets. That means when an infected person coughs, infected droplets can land on items people will later touch, spreading the infection further. But depending on temperature and humidity, some surfaces, like credit cards and coins, can be better homes for these droplets than the more porous surface of dollar bills.

Updated March 11, 2020 10:01 AM

Coronavirus Q&A: Can The Virus Be Transmitted On Paper, Coins, Or Mail?
An anonymous listener asked about how the virus spreads: “Are we absolutely positive that this virus can not be transmitted, one, on paper or metal currency [and], two, via postal letters and/or packages?”
Here’s Dr. Shruti Gohil with the University of California Irvine Medical Center, who’s helping lead the effort to prepare the hospital for COVID-19 (edited slightly for clarity):
“You kind of have to ask yourself that question [in the same context as] cold and flu. Do we see things like a cold and flu being transmitted through paper or envelopes? No, we don't. If this virus had this capability of spreading so easily, through things like paper fomites, then you would expect this outbreak to be much, much, much worse than what we are seeing now. I would think this is a good piece of comforting information, [but] you still have to apply common sense. If you took a coin and you know that somebody was sick and they could have a virus on their secretions on that coin, and you get that coin — well, you might acquire the illness if you don't clean your hands or you start touching your face right after.”

March 12, 2020...MIT Technology Review
No, coronavirus is not a good argument for quitting cash

Though it’s theoretically possible, there is no evidence that physical money—or any inanimate surface, for that matter—helps the virus spread.

Please explain what you mean by "the banks (not) always being accesessible."
Do you think the banking system in Argentina is in any real danger of collapsing with the banks closing their doors and also shutting down their online operations? If so, using an expression I am sure you are familiar with, please back it up.
I´ve never thought of transfering funds from a bank in one country to a bank in another, in order to maintain my lifestyle (with as little time and effort as possible spent doing so) as "stuffing enough cash into the account to keep it debit and bill pay useful," as that´s not what I´m doing.
If the banks in Argentina ever become inaccesible, we can only hope that Western Union/Rapipago are still operational, but, in spite of Perry´s fear that the banks here might close and not reopen, I don´t see why that would be likely to happen. I haven´t heard any rumors that any of them are insolvent.
If there are sudden, massive "runs" on deposited funds, the banks might limit cash withdrawals (including at ATM´s), but I seriously doubt they would stop accepting deposits or allowing me to pay the balancde due on my credit card (which I always use to pay all of my monthly bills as well as buy nafta, groceries, supplies, and make purchases on Mercado Libre).
PS: Now that we know how to transfer funds from a US bank to an Argentine bank, I hope I never have to go to a WU agency to pick up (and handle) cash again, not to mention that I prefer to avoid being streets and businnesses filled with people who, through no fault or desire of their own, could infect me with a microbe that could kill me.
Well, just to cut to the chase here, you've obviously never enjoyed a banking experience with HSBC, at a Premier customer level no less, and I'll bet it's not dissimilar to other banks, but I speculate. Under 'normal' circumstances there's a laundry list of things that go awry / have gone awry to frustrate the banking experience here. And when you're on the short end of the stick they don't give a flying whatever to how quickly it gets fixed or resolved. Experience gained over the past eight months. I am not suggesting a bank collapse.
However, under current evolving circumstance i'm taking precautionary measures to keep control of my money, not the bank controlling my money. If you're getting a carefree ride with your banking, god bless, hope it continues.
I'll be picking up cash at one of the WU locations and keep the bank on a short leash, deposit enough money to pay bills and enable the debit card. The debit card I must say has been the one tool of theirs that's been problem free.

Last edited:
March 10, 2020
The new coronavirus spreads through respiratory droplets. That means when an infected person coughs, infected droplets can land on items people will later touch, spreading the infection further. But depending on temperature and humidity, some surfaces, like credit cards and coins, can be better homes for these droplets than the more porous surface of dollar bills.

Updated March 11, 2020 10:01 AM

Coronavirus Q&A: Can The Virus Be Transmitted On Paper, Coins, Or Mail?
An anonymous listener asked about how the virus spreads: “Are we absolutely positive that this virus can not be transmitted, one, on paper or metal currency [and], two, via postal letters and/or packages?”
Here’s Dr. Shruti Gohil with the University of California Irvine Medical Center, who’s helping lead the effort to prepare the hospital for COVID-19 (edited slightly for clarity):
“You kind of have to ask yourself that question [in the same context as] cold and flu. Do we see things like a cold and flu being transmitted through paper or envelopes? No, we don't. If this virus had this capability of spreading so easily, through things like paper fomites, then you would expect this outbreak to be much, much, much worse than what we are seeing now. I would think this is a good piece of comforting information, [but] you still have to apply common sense. If you took a coin and you know that somebody was sick and they could have a virus on their secretions on that coin, and you get that coin — well, you might acquire the illness if you don't clean your hands or you start touching your face right after.”

March 12, 2020...MIT Technology Review
No, coronavirus is not a good argument for quitting cash

Though it’s theoretically possible, there is no evidence that physical money—or any inanimate surface, for that matter—helps the virus spread.

Out of an abundance of caution I have been sanitizing and keeping an eye on how we handle cash.

Coins upon entrance to home are tossed into a jar of pure alcohol later rinsed off with water and dried and into a clean coins can. Just in case.

Cash is paper is sprayed with disinfectant alcohol and set to dry this does not damage the paper money. Once dry to clean cash box.

Plastic cards, IDs etc are also disinfected when entering the home.

Same with glasses, watch etc.

You should also consider you clothing etc after you have out.

Interesting talking to friend from the US today about how I handle things. He laughed the hospital his sister works in told him they are all doing exactly what I am doing. Of course keep the thing out, reduce your chances of sickness and reduce your chance of becoming a spreader.

Please explain what you mean by "the banks (not) always being accesessible."

Do you think the banking system in Argentina is in any real danger of collapsing with the banks closing their doors and also shutting down their online operations? If so, using an expression I am sure you are familiar with, please back it up.

I´ve never thought of transfering funds from a bank in one country to a bank in another, in order to maintain my lifestyle (with as little time and effort as possible spent doing so) as "stuffing enough cash into the account to keep it debit and bill pay useful," as that´s not what I´m doing.

If the banks in Argentina ever become inaccesible, we can only hope that Western Union/Rapipago are still operational, but, in spite of Perry´s fear that the banks here might close and not reopen, I don´t see why that would be likely to happen. I haven´t heard any rumors that any of them are insolvent.

If there are sudden, massive "runs" on deposited funds, the banks might limit cash withdrawals (including at ATM´s), but I seriously doubt they would stop accepting deposits or allowing me to pay the balancde due on my credit card (which I always use to pay all of my monthly bills as well as buy nafta, groceries, supplies, and make purchases on Mercado Libre).

PS: Now that we know how to transfer funds from a US bank to an Argentine bank, I hope I never have to go to a WU agency to pick up (and handle) cash again, not to mention that I prefer to avoid being streets and businnesses filled with people who, through no fault or desire of their own, could infect me with a microbe that could kill me.

steveinbsas, our economy was choking to death even without the COVID19. Please don´t forget the whole big picture.
We already had a 2001ish scenario in January.

Banks will do what is best for them and let you hang in a blink. Probably they have their taken their precautions and are only accelerating their schedule.
Would not leave an useless 5 pesos note in a bank if i can prevent it. Just enough to cover my plastic for 30 days and for the rest let THEM figure it out.

A person I eventually found, emptied a close relative of mine bank´s account and al the credit using just the basic info from a CC. The bank was of absolutely no help for 6 month until they tried to sell another bank product and then they we´re al ears.
Sorted it out half ways in the end.
CAN´T TRUST BANKS, use them, abuse them, don´t let it happen the other way around.

Iz

Cash is paper is sprayed with disinfectant alcohol and set to dry this does not damage the paper money. Once dry to clean cash box.

I understand the need to sanitize your phone. You are using it at home, it needs to be clean.

But why do you need to sanitize the money? Are you playing with your money at home? Are you giving cash to your children?

In normal situations when you need to use your money outside you are already in a "dirty" environment. You touched a doorknob to open and close your door at least. Why not just keep your money in your pocket, and pull it out only outside?

VV stay calm this will pass. Worst case scenario if the medical or social system gets out of control it is not difficult to give birth at home, if needed, humans have been born that for thousands of year previous to modern medicine. It would be as natural and normal today as was in the past, I really would not worry to much about it. You and your husband can do research on the web, youtube etc...to be prepared just in case.

Most likely the government would have contingency plans in the place for your pregnancy as well you might want to contact the health ministry and see if there are any such plans in place as of yet.

Are there any dedicated birthing clinics in BA? You might want to look into that as well and have a contingency plan with a birthing clinic as that is all they do.

I would say look into all possible options have contingency plans and take life one day at a time for the time being. This too shall pass.

Thank you, Pensador, for your thoughtful reply. You mentioned some very helpful ideas, which I plan on reading up on soon... but just not today :( Today has been a difficult day of sorts for me to deal with, especially as it seems that a nationwide quarantine is imminent.

I plan on viewing the presidential address later this evening and then start making several contingency plans (Plan B through Plan Z) based on that. Right now, it's just a lot to take in, and though I know with my brain that what you had mentioned is valid, what I am experiencing with my gut (in addition to all the crazy pregnancy hormones!) is taking its toll.

Thanks again, very appreciated. Wish me luck!...
Ommmmmmmm!

I understand the need to sanitize your phone. You are using it at home, it needs to be clean.

But why do you need to sanitize the money? Are you playing with your money at home? Are you giving cash to your children?

In normal situations when you need to use your money outside you are already in a "dirty" environment. You touched a doorknob to open and close your door at least. Why not just keep your money in your pocket, and pull it out only outside?

Well do not want to wash my money when I wash my pants. Do not want infected money in my clean clothes pockets. Do not want to pass along infected money to others. At this point with information all over the board I do not think many if any know exactly how this bug operates so I will lean on the side of caution. For myself and for others.

March 10, 2020

Here's a different point of view - from another expert.

Public health experts believe the novel coronavirus, which causes the potentially deadly COVID-19 disease, is transmittable through "fomites" — surfaces, including paper money, that have been handled by an infected person.

"The belief is that these viruses can stay on surfaces in their fully active states for at least 10 days. That includes cash and all kinds of other surfaces that people normally touch," Dr. Sanjay Maggirwar, chair of the George Washington University School of Medicine's department of microbiology, immunology and tropical medicine, told CBS MoneyWatch. "So certainly with the coronavirus, cash handling is a concern."

Today Saturday, following the recommends of MilHojas and my own sleuthing out the alcohol and spray bottles to make alcohol hand sanitizer at home I was missing one recommended ingredient, glycerol. Out today to pharmacies to buy but NO STOCK of glycerol / glycerine. With a scowl the pharmacist rattled off a list of the alcohol or alcohol gel products not available, without further explanation, and recommended I call Centro de Salud. Again, no personal knowledge of how widespread this is, but alarming that one of the first line means for people to prevent infection, from extremely common compounds, normally available anywhere, is not available at a moment that prevention is critical. Except it's available through online sellers at Mercado Libre.
Buy at Van Rossum, a whole saler in Chacarita.

As I write, a well-respected scientist is speaking on my country's national broadcaster, taking questions from callers. Some data:

3% of infected people in China have died and 6% in Italy (with, of course, higher rates in the older cohorts). The rate for the flu is way below 1%.

The "risk of death" for people aged 70-80 who get infected is 10-15%. And, of course, higher for people aged over 80.

A vaccine is 12-18 months away.

There is no guarantee that once you get it, you are immune from getting it again (it is too early to know). Evidence from SARS suggested immunity could last for around 18 months.

4-6 days the virus lives on surfaces.

Infected people will "shed the virus" into the atmosphere for around 3 weeks.

Paper towels are better than air drying machines in public toilets (not that I've many air drying machines here).

Just finished speaking: He leaves no doubt: this is a plague of biblical proportions and it is not going away any time soon. Very little in our in our lives during 2020 and into 2021 will be what it has been in year's past. Get in a different mental space for this year and think very differently: we have to change the way we live our lives.

I now watching Biden and Sanders debate. Both well into their 70s, as is Trump. Think about how unpredictable the world has become: any one of the three (or all three) could easily contract the virus between now and the US elections and then have a 10-15% chance of dying.

Back