Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I drove to Punta Algta early this morning.(8:30 am). I went the two largest grocery stores (both Cooperativa Obrera). At the bigger one there were about twenty people waitng for the doors to open.

The shelves were completely full. I bought several frozen chickens (more expensive than a month ago). There was only one person in front of me in the checkout line (the caja rapida wan´t open yet).

I had a similar experience at the second store, using the caja rapida, with only one person in front of me.

As I drove through the center, I did not see anyone wearing a mask...

Warning - this is just second-hand information.

My kinesiologist practiced in Milan for a few years, and has many friends in the medical community there. They tell her that when schools, etc. closed, the Milanese took it as a holiday, and flocked to city parks and squares.

Here's hoping we learn from their mistake....!

Sign of the times.... Trying to register on Coto for home deliveries. Their server is overwhelmed and the application page fails. Maybe try again at mid nite.
COTO is back on line for registering for home delivery (their server was down through the wee hours last night). https://www.cotodigital3.com.ar/sitios/cdigi/
Just registered. It's an amazing website and the thought of not having to see in future those Argie shoppers with large sized overflowing shopping carts blocking up the cash registers is enough to have made it all worth while.
**Coto's one brand of alcohol gel 250 ml is showing as Out of Stock
** Yesterday, passed through a McDonald's that had a good sized alcohol gel dispenser mounted on the wall - for public use. As they're corporate this may now be a feature in all McDonald's. And, like public toilets, good to know where they are if you need one in a pinch whilst out and about.

Good idea, but what do we do with the change we get after buying something?
`
Excellent question. Since the beginning of November, every month I picked up a WU transfer I would ask for AR$100 bills ONLY which I stored each stash in separate dated ziplock bags. My intent then was to minimize the receipt of change in old bills from small merchants in my neighborhood. I would collect all the old bills and deposit them at the end of every month in my local savings account to be used for the occasional purchases with the ATM card.

Yesterday I picked up another transfer at my usual location. It should amply cover all my expenses++ for April and May. I placed that stash of AR$100 bills in a separate ziplock bag to be opened on March 31st. But from now I will collect ALL the bills received in change in a separate ziplock bag. At the end of the month I will deposit them in my local savings account. I will disinfect all the coins and the ATM card with alcohol.

we all are going to get the virus sooner or later, sit back and take it in, the body needs to battle the flu like symptoms to become immune to it, which is not any different from the typical common colds we had all experienced. mortality rate of covid-19 is in par with common colds, a bit more infectious and a bit harder on the immunocompromised elderly but overall the same. please leave the chinese people alone, avoiding them is racism. i honstly don't understand why people treat the virus as if it were a plague.

we all are going to get the virus sooner or later, sit back and take it in, the body needs to battle the flu like symptoms to become immune to it, which is not any different from the typical common colds we had all experienced.

Unless you just made this up in your head, please provide any links you´ve read which support this assertion.

Unlike the common cold and the season flu, the corona virus may be spread asymptomatically. People caan become infected by coming in contact with others who have no idea they are spreading the virus and will never know unless they are tested while the virus is in their system.

It has been estimated (by medical experts) that half of the world´s population will be exposed to the virus before there is a vaccine. Many oif them will not require any medical treatment, but the elderly and those with compromised immune systems will be the one´´s who face the greatest risk of death from the virus...a virial infection which is far more likely to kill them than the commonn cold or even the season flu.

If people "sit back and take it in" the virus will spread much faster than if they take reasonable precautions (like limiting social contact) to try avoid gettig it.

Even if the vast majority of people take all the precautions they can, the disease is still likely to overwhelm the medical infrastructure of almost every country on the planet.

Everyone needs to do everything they can to help limit the number of those who are infected before a vaccine becomes available.

rate of covid-19 is in par with the common cold,a bit more infectious and a bit harder on the immunocompromised elderly but overall the same

Unless you just made this up in your head, please provide any links you´ve read which support this assertion.

The common cold doesn´t have anywhere near the death rate of seasonal flu, and thus far the coronavirus appears to have a significantly higher death rate than both of them...combined.

Please leave the chinese people alone, avoiding them is racism.

Please explain how "leaving the Chinses people alone" is different from avoiding them?

I honstly don't understand why people treat the virus as if it were a plague.

The coronavirus (aka covid-19) started as an epidemic in China and, as it spread to to other countries, it became, literally, according to the definition of the word, a pandemic.

The Spanish flu also started in China as an epidemic and so did the Bubonic Plague centuries earlier. That´s an interesting historical fact, but it doesn´t mean Chinese people should be discrimimated against now.

Both the Spanish flu and the Bubonic Plague became pandemics which killed a huge percentage of the world´s population at the time and there was no way to stop them. They simply ran their course, but that was due to the limited medical ability to deal effectivelly with either of them.

I reiterate, even with the current efforts to contain the virus, those who get it and require medical treatment are likely to overwhem the health care systems of most countries, including first world nations. Just look at what´s already happened in Italy and is now happening in France and Spain.

As a result, many people will die from other causes because they can´t get the care and treatment for what ails them.

Last edited:
... mortality rate of covid-19 is in par with common colds ...

Colds generally don't result in any serious health issues like pneumonia, bacterial infections, hospitalizations, or deaths ...
The severity of the coronavirus isn't quite so cut-and-dry, though it is significantly more severe than the common cold.

Flu versus coronavirus

Death rate

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported.

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu."

To my untrained eye, it looks like the coronavirus death rate is 1.4% per hundred cases, while the regular flu is 1% per thousand cases.

The real problem seems to be that the new virus is four times more contagious than the flu.

we all are going to get the virus sooner or later, sit back and take it in, the body needs to battle the flu like symptoms to become immune to it, which is not any different from the typical common colds we had all experienced. mortality rate of covid-19 is in par with common colds, a bit more infectious and a bit harder on the immunocompromised elderly but overall the same. please leave the chinese people alone, avoiding them is racism. i honstly don't understand why people treat the virus as if it were a plague.

The Chinese built two new hospitals in weeks, hospitals in Italy and Spain are turning away people who are dying because the hospitals don't have any more capacity. Yeah...it's exactly like the common cold.

Please present evidence that there isn't reinfection of the virus and that death rates are equal to that of the common cold.

Low IQ idiots like you that are spreading misinformation that it's just like the common cold are leading to deaths.

From today's La Nacion:

Italy's latest figures: 20,000 cases, 2,000 deaths.

That is a whopping 10% mortality rate.

Back