"Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fantastic news which I welcome with open arms, but my understanding is that the vaccine is still under trials - the longer term affects are still unclear, or it is already a done deal?

Right now my question is what are we supposed to do in Argentina until early-mid next year? Stay in strict quarantine and pretend nothing is wrong with that? What happens if something goes wrong with the trials and we need to live with the virus for longer, then what is plan B? Seems Alberto is a gambling man.

This is fantastic news which I welcome with open arms, but my understanding is that the vaccine is still under trials - the longer term affects are still unclear, or it is already a done deal?
Published on July 20, 2020
Safety and immunogenicity of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2: a preliminary report of a phase 1/2, single-blind, randomised controlled trial....

Published on July 27, 2020
Oxford vaccine enters final phase of COVID-19 trials. Here's what happens now.
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZILAndréa Barbosa was thrilled to be jabbed in the arm. The 46-year-old ophthalmologist is one of the 5,000 volunteers in the clinical trial in Brazil of a COVID-19 vaccine candidate, ChAdOx1. The vaccine is being developed by the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom in collaboration with the biopharmaceutical company AstraZeneca.

In May, Soumya Swaminathan, the head scientist of the World Health Organization, called ChAdOx1 the most advanced COVID-19 vaccine candidate....Phases one and two of the clinical trial took place simultaneously in April in southern England, when safety and immune responses were checked in more than a thousand healthy volunteers ages 18 to 55. The vaccine is now in the third and final development phase: testing volunteers in Brazil at the Federal University of São Paulo’s Reference Center for Special Immunobiologicals, as well as at two locations run by the D'Or Institute for Research and Education.

Right now my question is what are we supposed to do in Argentina until early-mid next year? Stay in strict quarantine and pretend nothing is wrong with that? What happens if something goes wrong with the trials and we need to live with the virus for longer, then what is plan B?
I doubt AF has a plan B beyond a continuance of the quarantine by region. Seems Alberto is a gambling man.....But a neophyte gambler at that.

13 August 2020
The Argentine businessman that will produce the coronavirus vaccine confirmed that it will be ready in December
Hugo Sigman reported that a maBxience plant located in Escobar has already started production of the dose. "No government played any role, this was a negotiation between private parties," he clarified.

Hugo Sigman is the owner of Grupo Insud, to which the mAbxience laboratory belongs , a member of the international consortium that will manufacture the coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford in Argentina. In an interview with journalist Marcelo Longobardi on Radio Mitre, he confirmed that a plant of his company has already started producing the dose, said that it could be ready to be applied in December....In addition, he was optimistic about another advance that his companies are also working on: treatment with hyperimune equine serum....
Here is the full report....

13 August 2020
The infectologists recommended to the President not to speak more of quarantine
Alberto Fernández met with the committee of experts, which included a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a social scientist, as well as a cardiologist.
....In the afternoon, starting at 5:30 p.m., the meeting that Alberto Fernández will share with Axel Kicillof and Horacio Rodríguez Larreta, from whom he awaits an agreement on how to carry preventive and mandatory social isolation (ASPO) for the next two weeks, although there could also be news. Tomorrow the official announcement will be made, but the format or what time it will be has not yet been decided.....

The word "quarantine" out of AF's mouth is out. Now the euphemism will be : Preventive and mandatory social isolation (ASPO).
"A pig dressed in pink, remains a pig".

Last edited:
20 August 2020
Coronavirus vaccine: AstraZeneca told Alberto Fernández that it expects the results of the clinical trials in November
The directors of AstraZeneca, the British pharmaceutical company that develops one of the coronavirus vaccines together with the University of Oxford, told Alberto Fernández today that they hope to complete the "phase 3" clinical trials of its development "by November", according to Official sources and from that laboratory pointed out to LA NACION. In any case, the manufacture of the vaccine in Argentina is still estimated "for the first quarter of 2021". There is no longer talk, as in the beginning, of the "first semester" of next year. But it is noted that, beyond the technology transfer carried out by the British, the process in Argentina will require time for manufacturing and quality tests....

Updates on the Oxford-AstraZeneca testing plus all the other vaccines in the works:
Coronavirus Vaccines Tracker : Sheet1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back