Counting To 90 Days And The Chile/argentina Border

ba2santiago

Registered
Good Afternoon all.

Long long time lurker, first time poster. This forum has been a valuable source of information over the past few years.

I have used the search function and visited the migraciones website but cannot seem to find the information I need. Regarding the tourist visa, are the '90 days' considered no more than 90 days in a 180 day period? Do the 90 days start at the date of entry and expire within 90 days regardless of whether or not one has left Argentina?

My first entry into Argentina was in late July...more than 90 days have passed. However, I have been in Uruguay and Chile since this time and have not stayed for 90 days here (less than 80 days). Is this going to be a problem if I try to cross the border into Chile from Mendoza? I also have about 12 Argentina entry/exit stamps.

All help is greatly appreciated.

ba2santiago

The 90 days is how long you have to legally stay in Argentina as a tourist - every time you enter the country and get a stamp, you have a new 90 day limit. What counts is your last entry stamp. However, if the Argentine immigration agent feels that you aren't a tourist and are instead living here and abusing the system, then they may deny you entry. As far as I know they don't stick to any hard and fast rules about number of days per year or number of times entered/exited.

Leaving is never an issue (unless you overstayed and then it's simply paying a fine) so you won't have issues leaving. I don't know what Chile's policy is.

I have used the search function and visited the migraciones website but cannot seem to find the information I need. Regarding the tourist visa, are the '90 days' considered no more than 90 days in a 180 day period? Do the 90 days start at the date of entry and expire within 90 days regardless of whether or not one has left Argentina?

My first entry into Argentina was in late July...more than 90 days have passed. However, I have been in Uruguay and Chile since this time and have not stayed for 90 days here (less than 80 days). Is this going to be a problem if I try to cross the border into Chile from Mendoza? I also have about 12 Argentina entry/exit stamps.

All you have to do is look at the last/latest entry stamp in your passport and you will officially have 90 days from that date. As noted in Crema Americana's post (and posts by bajo_cero2), there is no problem leaving the country.

From AR Consulate London:

Length of stay allowed for travelers exempt from visas

On arrival, nationals exempt from visas are normally allowed to stay 90 days on a multiple entry basis. Before the expiry date they may apply for an extension at Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, only once and for no longer than the same length of stay granted in the visa. Thus, the new expiry date will be normally 90 days after the expiry date of the visa. If the person travels outside of Argentina at any time (under the orignal period granted on arrival or under the extension), when re-entering the country he/she will be usually given another 90 days, which can be subsequently extended. The number of times the traveller can re-enter the country in this way can not be determined beforehand and it is subject to Dirección Nacional de Migraciones being satisfied that the person is not covering an immigration purpose.

AR Consulate: http://www.clond.mre...ar/en/node/2433

A 90 day tourist visa may be extended once at the office of migraciones in Retiro, but you probably should not do this if you actually have had any overstays in the past. It isn't clear if you have any overstays. You are not limited to 90 out of 180 days. The tourist visa "rule" allows you to stay in Argentina 180 days of the year. If you ever do get a 90 day extension at migraciones, keep in mind that you will not be given a new 90 day stamp if you leave and reenter prior to the expiration of the extension.

Your post is a bit confusing as you indicated that your "first entry into Argentina was in July" but you "have about 12 Argentina entry/exit stamps." Are all of these entry/exit stamps since July of this year or have you acquired these stamps over a period of years? If the latter is the case and you have been in Argentina more than 180 days per year over a period of several years, it is possible that you will receive more scrutiny the next time you return, but it's impossible to know in advance.

I suggest you read this thread (if you have not yet done so): http://baexpats.org/...ntry-at-ezeiza/

PS: Individuals with many stamps in their passport are not advised to try to get an extension at the office of migraciones unless they have never overstayed and it does not look like they have been leaving the country every 90 days just to get a new entry stamp. They are most likely to be given an "ultima prorroga" or (if they are lucky) be told to "Go to Uruguay."

... Is this going to be a problem if I try to cross the border into Chile from Mendoza? I also have about 12 Argentina entry/exit stamps.

Never had a problem at Los Libertadores and I used to have a lot more than 12 Argentinian (tourist) stamps in my passport.

Steve,

All stamps are since July. I am a serial border hopper. Thanks MDZ and Steve.

Never had a problem at Los Libertadores and I used to have a lot more than 12 Argentinian (tourist) stamps in my passport.

I cross frequently, at many different borders, and have almost uncountable Argentine (and Chilean) stamps in my passport, and some Uruguayan as well. Many of those are relatively short trips, but I have never overstayed, and have never had an immigration problem - other than inept Argentine border personnel who didn't understand that the retaliation fee in my old passport was still valid for the new one. Still, that was only a minor delay.

Back