Country Life In Argentina: What's It Really Like?

How does the weather there compare to BsAs? Is it typically alot colder? More wind?

How does the weather there compare to BsAs? Is it typically alot colder? More wind?

The average daily temperature in the winter is often two or three degrees cooler than BA. It is rarely below freezing at night, even in January. The local temperature is measured at the Bahia Blanca airport and it is a couple KM outside of the city so even Bahia Blanca is a bit warmer. It is usually "pretty windy" here two or three days a month. Even though my property is located on "open" ground, I get noticeably less wind at my house thanks to the trees. There has only been one "scary" (daytime) windstorm in the four years I have lived here. Several large branches were broken off the trees, but there was no property damage. The power was out for about eight hours after that storm and that was by far the longest blackout since I moved here. The power can be turned off for an hour or two in the afternoon while work is being done, but that happens less than once a month. In four years the power has been off during the night a few times, but never for more than three hours.

Excellent post depicting the subject territory. So you will sell the 2500 m2 for approx US$50k...And another US$70~100 for the house construction?

Excellent post depicting the subject territory. So you will sell the 2500 m2 for approx US$50k...And another US$70~100 for the house construction?

Yes, though as I previously wrote, a log home could be constructed for less, possibly much less. I will have a place for my new neighbor to stay during the construction, secure storage for building materials which, dollar wise are cheaper now than anytime in the past three years, and contacts with the most reliable contractors in the area. I plan to be available on a daily basis to help in any way that I can during the construction.

For the sake of comparison, lots in the "best" barrios of Bahia Blanca are priced from $70-$100 per square meter and lots in the only barrio cerrado in the area (about 15 KM from Bahia Blanca, in a somewhat odd location at the intersection of route 3 and 229) and are priced in the $30-$40 USD per square meter range. The barrio cerrado (aka Pago Chico) has a golf course and a a swimming pool, but there are no shops (not even a small grocery store) or services close to the development. There are restrictions on pets as well as the prohibition of even small livestock (including chickens). One of my Argentine friends calls it an "error" when he describes the location.

es, though as I previously wrote, a log home could be constructed for less, possibly much less.

For the sake of comparison, lots in the "best" barrios of Bahia Blanca are priced from #70-$100 per square meter and lots in the only barrio cerrado in the area (about 15 KM from Bahia Blanca (in a somewhat odd location at the intersection of route 3 and 229) are prices in the $30-$40 USD per square meter range. The barrio cerrado (aka Pago Chico) has a golf course and a a swimming pool, but there are no shops (including grocery stores) close to the development. One of my Argentine friends calls it an "error" when he describes the location.

Bahia Blanca? No,No,No way that I will be building there! Ajoko calls the area a pit of a location...And he ought know geography due to his literate e-books for the tourist to refer by.. And BTW, the google aero shots looks awful, rather countering the beautiful pics posted!

Another question to add: I will be, ( planning sort of way ) to embark pretty soon to Argie~Chile fact finding mission by ways of "Overlanding" palnning to be driving a Prius Wagon "V" or, just buy a Highlander Hybrid for the same trip..Once if liking the Argentina terra firma, can I pay for the tax and register my vehicle there to own it legally.?

Bahia Blanca? No,No,No way that I will be building there! Ajoko calls the area a pit of a location...And he ought know geography due to his literate e-books for the tourist to refer by.. And BTW, the google aero shots looks awful, rather countering the beautiful pics posted!

Another question to add: I will be, ( planning sort of way ) to embark pretty soon to Argie~Chile fact finding mission by ways of "Overlanding" planning to be driving a Prius Wagon "V" or, just buy a Highlander Hybrid for the same trip..Once if liking the Argentina terra firma, can I pay for the tax and register my vehicle there to own it legally.?

The google shot does look awful, primarily due to the fact that it was taken in the winter and the entire area looks awful in the winter (though much better at ground level even then). If I had not found the property I presently own, there is no way I would be here. I described it as an "oasis" and it really is. I would not want to live in the nearby village, but I don't want to live in any village. I cited the cost of property in Bahia Blanca to serve as a price comparison. There are rural properties in the area that are priced lower than mine, but I seriously doubt that you would want to buy, build, or live on any of them.

Dr. Blauch made a lot of negative references to Bahia Blanca when he thought I lived on the outskirts of the so-called "pit" (which is relatively clean and very easy to get around in, even during rush hour). He may have described it as a "pit" before he started harassing me in the forum, but Bahia Blanca is a far cry from being a pit. I am very happy that it is close enough to drive to in less than 30 minutes. The people are incredibly friendly, very helpful, and not at all snobbish. The city itself is actually rather attractive and there are many blocks that are still full of the kind of "classic" (and very tall) one story buildings that are now almost non-existent in neighborhoods like Recoleta. You might actually think you're in CF if you stop for lunch in a downtown cafe, but you'll notice a big difference as soon as you speak with your server.

Please read other threads regarding car ownership. I did not buy a car until after I had permanent residency, but I know your question has been asked and answered several times.

Please read other threads regarding car ownership. I did not buy a car until after I had permanent residency, but I know your question has been asked and answered several times.
Do the trip with the Prius. They are all over Argentina. 1000s of them everywhere.

Do the trip with the Prius. They are all over Argentina. 1000s of them everywhere.
Actually more versatile doin' it in a Highlander Hybrid all wheel drive, perhaps more capable to visit the rough pavement of rural Argentina.

Actually more versatile doin' it in a Highlander Hybrid all wheel drive, perhaps more capable to visit the rough pavement of rural Argentina.

...and definitely more capable to visit the non-existent pavement of rural Argentina.
emo32.gif

Back