Country Life In Argentina: What's It Really Like?

Where is the veggie garden?

Two years ago I bought about two dozen small packages of seeds and used (opened) about half of them. I have more than enough to do without working on my hands and knees in the dirt so I didn't work the garden as much as would have been required to produce a bountiful harvest.

Last year I gave the remaining (unopened) packages of seed to friends who love to garden, noting that they were a year old and without suggesting I expected anything in return. I didn't spend any time working in the dirt and I had plenty of fresh veggies all season long.

This year I am giving away fresh packages of seeds.
emo32.gif

Steveinbsas, some answers.
We started with bare land around 50ha, built house, barn, shed,etc believing life would be great with a young family(so wrong) security problems made us decide to move into a private country club. As you know leaving anything unattended is not possible, so employing people to be present 24-7 is necessary, both in the white plus bonuses. We found out the hard way that cheap is not cheap when hiring here. Add police, alarms, fencing, security connection, dogs, country club, that eats +30.

Steveinbsas, some answers.
We started with bare land around 50ha, built house, barn, shed,etc believing life would be great with a young family(so wrong) security problems made us decide to move into a private country club. As you know leaving anything unattended is not possible, so employing people to be present 24-7 is necessary, both in the white plus bonuses. We found out the hard way that cheap is not cheap when hiring here. Add police, alarms, fencing, security connection, dogs, country club, that eats +30.

Thank you Happy Camper.

My property is a postage stamp (1ha/2.5acres) compared to yours. I rarely pay anyone else to do any work here and they are independent contractors, not employees. I am the maintenance man, the grounds keeper, and the security guard. My house is located in one corner of the property and I can see the far corner when I step outside my kitchen door. At the present time, my total fixed monthly expenses including LP gas, electricity, car and home insurance, municipal fees (which include grading the street in front of my house), DirecTV, and property taxes total less than one hundred US dollars per month.

It takes about two months for my two dogs to consume an 8kg bag of dog food which costs about $100 pesos. Their bark is obviously worse than their bite, but no one comes close to my house without them letting me know. The location in which I live is not attractive to thieves who would have to drive through the nearby village to make their getaway back to the nearest highway and the locals here don't prey on each other.

I've called the police twice at night when I thought there was someone outside my house and they arrived in about three minutes. The first time there was no one to be found and the second time it turned out to be a horse (which I could not see through the wood shutters) grazing in my front yard.

PS: I do have a wireless modem with which to connect to the internet. The Claro 10G plan "ilimitado" (the most expensive option) and my Claro cell phone plan (the cheapest available) would push my total (fixed) monthly expenses to $1400 pesos, which is almost exactly $100 USD.

That's a good idea. I wonder where you will get one?

Whatchyamean, where to buy one? but of course via Toyota motor sales USA, inc. I still can pay way,way below auto dealer's invoce.
Once a Toyota man, the clout is for life!

steveinbsas-san, I definitely needing to bring one of this in order to making my lower back less painful when working the land to grow veggies and fruits, the last time was back home volunteered in a rural papa and mamma Japanese farm and they taught me how to operate the mini Tiller.

Rotary_tiller_compact.jpg

Actually, Hybrid-san, as I was cutting the taller weeds this afternoon using a standard lawn mower, I was thinking of how much easier it would be with one of these (though there is a better model that I've seen but isn't available on ML at the moment):

cortadora-de-cesped-autopropulsada-13191-MLA20072446345_032014-O.jpg

I was also thinking that a roto-tiller would be essential for a serious garden.
emo32.gif

A friend just bought this rough cuts anything even smaller diameter trees! Seen it mow down everything in its way
very powerful and do very clean job..Awesome machine!

category-fab-main.jpg

Whatchyamean, where to buy one? but of course via Toyota motor sales USA, inc. I still can pay way,way below auto dealer's invoce.
Once a Toyota man, the clout is for life!
There are only 2 shops in Buenos Aires that I would trust to work on an Auto Trans. So any thoughts you have about Hybrids need some serious rethinking. Get a Tundra and drive the hell out it. It won't break.

Back