Country Life In Argentina: What's It Really Like?

Sierra de los Padres is actually a development- a planned community.
It is in a nice area, but its between Mar de Plata and Balcarce- for most shopping beyond the most basic, you would need to drive to one or the other. Mar de Plata is a crazy resort town, in season, with traffic jams and long lines and tourist prices.
Balcarce, though, is a very sweet small city, with nice old architecture, mostly locally owned shops for most things you would want to purchase, and the Fangio Musuem.

Some people are fine with living in planned communities, it would not appeal to me.
Here is the website, with lots of info-
http://www.sierradelospadres.com.ar

Sierra de los Padres is actually a development- a planned community.
It is in a nice area, but its between Mar de Plata and Balcarce- for most shopping beyond the most basic, you would need to drive to one or the other. Mar de Plata is a crazy resort town, in season, with traffic jams and long lines and tourist prices.
Balcarce, though, is a very sweet small city, with nice old architecture, mostly locally owned shops for most things you would want to purchase, and the Fangio Musuem.

Some people are fine with living in planned communities, it would not appeal to me.
Here is the website, with lots of info-
http://www.sierradelospadres.com.ar

Reis, if I remember correctly you are a skilled metal worker (among other talents) and would prefer to have a workshop and live on a property where "commercial use" is permitted. So do I. I would also prefer to own a property where i can (if desired) have chickens and livestock. My skills are limited to light carpentry and grounds-keeping. I am very skilled at moving a hose from one sapling to another and I've decides to "convert" one side of my galpon into a greenhouse where I will nurture trees that do not require a great deal of sunlight (that side of the galpon only get a few hours of sun in the afternoon). This side of the galpon was previously used to house the 3000 chickens per week that were "processed" in the area I am now converting to a guest house. ll I need to do is remove the "tar paper" roof and replace it with translucent plastic. Although I have no plans to open a commercial vivero, I still might want to put a sign in front of my house if and when I ever have something for sale (something I might not be able to so in a "planned development like La Sierra De Los Padres.
<p>After viewing the info in the link you provides I performed a google search for casas en venta in the development. The house for sale for $145K USD is priced about $100K USD less than anything that compare favorably with it. If the title is unenc

Thank you for pointing out the discrepancy in the commission on the English version of the broker's site. I will look into it. I posted the link for the real estate agent as a way to show more photos. As per the arrangement I have with the agent, should a buyer appear via BAExpats, or other direct venues, there would be no brokerage fee for the buyer or seller.

You are quite right, the price is the same as for steveinsbsas' property. Prices are higher in the Traslasierras of Cordoba. And I too looked askance at the Deed situation, in this neck of the woods (sierras), however it is quite common and manageable.

Reis, if I remember correctly you are a skilled metal worker (among other talents) and would prefer to have a workshop and live on a property where "commercial use" is permitted. So do I. I would also prefer to own a property where i can (if desired) have chickens and livestock. My skills are limited to light carpentry and grounds-keeping. I am very skilled at moving a hose from one sapling to another and I've decides to "convert" one side of my galpon into a greenhouse where I will nurture trees that do not require a great deal of sunlight (that side of the galpon only get a few hours of sun in the afternoon). This side of the galpon was previously used to house the 3000 chickens per week that were "processed" in the area I am now converting to a guest house. ll I need to do is remove the "tar paper" roof and replace it with translucent plastic. Although I have no plans to open a commercial vivero, I still might want to put a sign in front of my house if and when I ever have something for sale (something I might not be able to so in a "planned development like La Sierra De Los Padres.
<p>After viewing the info in the link you provides I performed a google search for casas en venta in the development. The house for sale for $145K USD is priced about $100K USD less than anything that compare favorably with it. If the title is unenc

Steve, you are right- and, in the USA, I do have a place like you describe- only bigger, and with more galpons.
And I make a lot of noise, too- I run a blacksmithing power hammer, for example, that shakes the earth for several hundred feet. So a planned community, with rules and regulations, would be strictly a non-starter for me.

But some people like the added security, and wont ever break the rules, and would enjoy such a place.
I was just pointing out that particular property is, indeed, in a rural subdivision.
Could be perfect for Hybrid- I dont think he runs power tools at midnight, as I have been known to.

Since I already have my own non-fortified compound in the USA, though, I am happy with a departmento in Buenos Aires that is steps from any possible service or store. You have to have both yin and yang in your life, you know.

PS- I just made a smoothie with apples, plums, and blueberries that I grew. I got paid half a hog in rent from a young guy renting my back field. Country life is good.

Steve, you are right- and, in the USA, I do have a place like you describe- only bigger, and with more galpons.
And I make a lot of noise, too- I run a blacksmithing power hammer, for example, that shakes the earth for several hundred feet. So a planned community, with rules and regulations, would be strictly a non-starter for me.

But some people like the added security, and wont ever break the rules, and would enjoy such a place.
I was just pointing out that particular property is, indeed, in a rural subdivision.
Could be perfect for Hybrid- I dont think he runs power tools at midnight, as I have been known to.

Since I already have my own non-fortified compound in the USA, though, I am happy with a departmento in Buenos Aires that is steps from any possible service or store. You have to have both yin and yang in your life, you know.

PS- I just made a smoothie with apples, plums, and blueberries that I grew. I got paid half a hog in rent from a young guy renting my back field. Country life is good.
Ries-san, is that you pounding and re-pounding to forge steel to making a Japanese Katana?
1280px-4_artist_blacksmith_forging_with_power_hammer.JPG

I once practiced apprenticeship at Japanese Katana making master a long,long time ago.!
That was me, with the sledge hammer....It was hell, had to give up my vocation !
162.jpg

Well, Hybrid-san, you certainly had the ability to make sparks fly at that point in your life... :rolleyes:

...But some people like the added security, and wont ever break the rules, and would enjoy such a place.

The post to which this comment about the house for sale at Las Sierras De Los Padres is a reply was truncated when I made it and I didn't get back on line in time to finish it. While I like the house very much and would no doubt enjoy living in it, I would not have been in a position to buy it in 2010 when I bought the casa-quinta where I now live and, in hind sight, I'm glad I wasn't. Driving to Mar Del Plata during the high season would not have been enjoyable. I'm sure I would have like Balcarce (especially of it had a sucursal de OCA. from which to retrieve Mercado Libre purchases). I undoubtedly would have met a few of my neighbors and possibly developed good friendships, but the development is touted as a place to "enjoy a day or a week-end" more than a place to live. I'm sure I would not have enjoyed paying the monthly maintenance fees. One of the reasons I moved from my departamento in Recloeta to a PH in Nunez in 2009 was to get out from under the ever increasing monthly consorcio fees for the apartment.

I moved to my present location with a desire to have the ability to grow my own food and also have small livestock if and when I wanted to. I also wanted to enjoy life in a natural setting without paying for "extras" like a private golf course. I live about three minutes (driving very slowly) from emergency medical care and more than a dozen shops, several of which offer a surprisingly good selection of groceries and supplies at reasonable prices (slightly more than the supermercados in Bahia Blanca).

There was a Chinese market on the other side of one wall of my PH in Nunez and many food vendors (including a Carrefour and a Dia) within a few blocks. I rarely think about that now but when I do, I also realize how fortunate I am now to know the vendors near me who always greet me with a smile, call me by name and frequently ask if there's anything I need that they don't have in stock. I recently put in a request for Dami Mani peanut butter as Walmart hasn't had any for a month!

Of all the fruit trees I planted four years ago, including 4 apple, 3 fig, 10 orange, 2 lemon, 1 pomelo,1 peach, 4 pear, and 1 apricot, the plum tree is producing the most fruit...by far. The neighbor behind me has hogs, but not enough to make a big stink. Yes, country life is good.

steveinbsas, a question for you. How is the property taxes are to be sent in to your locality govnmnt?
Here in CA where I live, have to pay my property taxes to my county tax collector at the end of its calendar year.
I get a bill notice that my property tax amount is split in two parts.
One to be paid by December 10th and the next one to be paid before February of next year and currently my tax amount
is way over too much dinero. How often do you pay your property taxes and how is the tax amount calculated?

steveinbsas, a question for you. How is the property taxes are to be sent in to your locality govnmnt?
Here in CA where I live, have to pay my property taxes to my county tax collector at the end of its calendar year.
I get a bill notice that my property tax amount is split in two parts.
One to be paid by December 10th and the next one to be paid before February of next year and currently my tax amount
is way over too much dinero. How often do you pay your property taxes and how is the tax amount calculated?

I can pay the property taxes in one cuota in Februray and get about a 10% discount or in five cuotas over the period of one year.

The past two years the taxes have been just under $800 pesos for the front lot (5880 m2 with 247 m2 of "covered" construction) and well under $200 pesos for the back lot (5880 m2 with no construction.).

I am not offering any part of the back lot for sale, just a 2484 m2 lot (46m x 54m) in the front corner (beside mine). Nonetheless, if the future buyer wanted to have horses and build a stable on the land directly behind his/her lot, I would be willing to let them do so. I will be adding the bedroom and bathroom (total 50 m2) to the end of the galpon that I am converting to a guest house and 100% of the new construction will actually be on the back "half" of my property (which already has separate papers). That will cause the annual taxes on the back lot to increase, but not by a huge amount (perhaps $200 pesos at the previous two years rates). The "addition" will be very close to the side border of the property, so the closest part of the stable could be built well over 50 meters from it. The property in back is deep enough (54 m) to include a spacious corral as well.

PS: The option to have horses (as well as small livestock) is one very big reason I would not want to live in a "planned development" Las Sierras De Los padres near Mar Del Plata. Where I now live I can ride a horse for many kilometers on dirt roads near my house without every setting foot (or hoof) on pavement or have anyone complain if the horse heeds nature's call whenever it is necessary.
emo32.gif

Of all the fruit trees I planted four years ago, including 4 apple, 3 fig, 10 orange, 2 lemon, 1 pomelo,1 peach, 4 pear, and 1 apricot, the plum tree is producing the most fruit...by far. The neighbor behind me has hogs, but not enough to make a big stink. Yes, country life is good.
I didn't know BB was far enpugh North to grow and harvest citrus??????

Back