Covid Vaccination Argentina

Here's an old Australian joke to illustrate the difference between whingeing and whining.

A plane lands at Sydney airport. How do you know that it is full of whingeing Poms?

Because the whining carries on after the engines have stopped.

Ka-boom-tish! Eyethankewe. I'm here all week!

Actually, 4.74 times more vaccines were sent to BA province than were sent to CABA, the data is here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/coronavirus/vacuna/aplicadas The distribution between the provinces is supposed to be determined by the relative populations.

Larreta and his weasley health minister spent the first months of the vaccination campaign whining about how they had too many old people and health workers so they should get more vaccines. Now that those categories have been vaccinated, they should be moving faster through the relatively fewer young people, but they're consistently a step behind BA province in opening the lower age categories for vaccination. Now, of course, they've started agitating for 2nd doses for their voter constituency while under 40s are still exposed.
Do you realize that BA Province has 4.74 more people than CABA?

On June 24, Dr. Claudio Zin appeared live on La Nacion+ and gave an explanation re: this graph.
...."the green line corresponds to the Sputnik V, the yellow line to the Astra/Zeneca and the dotted red line to the CanSino vaccine.
Prime Immunization....with first dose. Boost Immunization....with 2nd dose at an interval of 21 days".
Gracielle, I don't wish to be rude, but without a vertical scale (y-axis), this graph:

1624656492596.png
is basically meaningless. The vertical axis has to show something, whether it's efficacy, infections per 100k, or whatever. Also, what's being shown there is certainly not linear: while I expect Sputnik V is an excellent vaccine and quite probably better than others, a 2nd injection is not going to double the efficacy as one could mis-interpret from the scale above. I would just disregard the graphic, and the whole presentation as well, if there was no explanation of what the vertical axis means.

Do you realize that BA Province has 4.74 more people than CABA?
Well of course I do, some guy here said 8 times more vaccines were sent to BA Province than were sent to CABA, which is obviously crap, I understand that the vaccines were distributed among the provinces according to population

As you've made clear your instinctive favouritism of Quiros and his colleagues by crediting them with "vastly superior" administrative skills and incorrectly with receiving 8 times fewer vaccines than BA province. I like to think my criticisms are fact based.

Please read my original post again. I was not speaking about vaccines but about money, subsidies, etc.
Guess I was not clear enough.

I disagree. The Federal Government HEAVILY favors Kiciloff, and sends him eight times what it sends to CABA. But Larreta, a vastly superior administrator, manages his few resources far better than Cristina's favorite does.

Final report: I have just received a Whatsapp message from Boti el rebot de la ciudad congratulating me that I am now enrolled and will be able to choose my turno en los proximos dias. The same message simultaneously arrived by email. This, despite having enrolled on the system on 4 June and having rung and confirmed all my details twice in the last week.

The lesson appears to be this:

• When enrolling on the system in CABA you should receive a notification immediately to Whatsapp and your email telling you the enrollment was successful. If you do not receive these confirmations, it is likely there is a problem. The first step, in that case, is to ask Boti to confirm your enrollment (as per the tips in one of my earlier posts). If he can't confirm your enrollment, he will tell you to ring 147. But even after ringing 147 and having helpful operators appear to correctly enroll you, do not assume you have solved whatever the problem was. If you do not then receive a message to Whatsapp and / or your email confirming your enrollment, the problem could well persist.
Postscript to Final Report: I was vaccinated today. In the end, my empadronamiento was based only on my passport. The young woman who received me was a bit hesitant when I only offered my passport as the form of identification. Fortunately, I had also brought my precaria. She seemed relieved about that, inspected it closely and then said everything was OK. I have a nagging doubt about what would have happened had I left the precaria at home, or if I simply didn't have one. The lesson: anyone who manages to get a turno in CABA based only on a passport ought to arrive on the day prepared to defend their empadronamiento and right to the vaccine.

Here's an old Australian joke to illustrate the difference between whingeing and whining.

A plane lands at Sydney airport. How do you know that it is full of whingeing Poms?

Because the whining carries on after the engines have stopped.

Ka-boom-tish! Eyethankewe. I'm here all week!
It is certainly true that the noun "whinger", the verb "to whinge" and the adjective "whingeing" are staples of Australian English. Sadly, I think they are rapidly becoming archaic. I reckon there is an entire generation of people now, in the major cities at least, who would not know what these words mean.

Please read my original post again. I was not speaking about vaccines but about money, subsidies, etc.
Guess I was not clear enough.
Ok so you used a thread about COVID vaccination in Argentina to make a point about the co-participation payments to the various provinces in Argentina, and only woke up to the confusion 2 days later. Right. Any other multiples of 8 you want to try out? That is pathetic.

Postscript to Final Report: I was vaccinated today. In the end, my empadronamiento was based only on my passport. The young woman who received me was a bit hesitant when I only offered my passport as the form of identification. Fortunately, I had also brought my precaria. She seemed relieved about that, inspected it closely and then said everything was OK. I have a nagging doubt about what would have happened had I left the precaria at home, or if I simply didn't have one. The lesson: anyone who manages to get a turno in CABA based only on a passport ought to arrive on the day prepared to defend their empadronamiento and right to the vaccine.
Congrats on that, you can share your side effects later (mine, from the A-Z vaccine were more than expected). Thinking defensively is definitely to be recommended dealing with bureaucrats (I went to change my address in my DNI today armed with my passport, still looking for the thread to report here).

Oh and Oz English is magnificent, I would really like to go down under sometime, having distant family and all, descended from convicts like the best Ozzies.

Congrats on that, you can share your side effects later (mine, from the A-Z vaccine were more than expected). Thinking defensively is definitely to be recommended dealing with bureaucrats (I went to change my address in my DNI today armed with my passport, still looking for the thread to report here).

Oh and Oz English is magnificent, I would really like to go down under sometime, having distant family and all, descended from convicts like the best Ozzies.
Unfortunately, not only are words like whinger becoming archaic, but verbal communication itself using words in Australia is dying out. They don't have adjectives anymore, for example. When back there I take public transport and listen to how people talk. A typical conversation overheard would go something like this:

Speaker 1: He was like... you know....
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. (Nods knowingly).

And I am not talking about uneducated people.

Given that the country is only now, 15 months into a pandemic that has yet to really begin there, announcing that it will soon start to design and construct purpose-built quarantine facilities and, simultaneously Sydney is closing down because of a small outbreak and is cut off from other states, and most experts predict vaccination rates will peak at around 60% maybe 12 months from now, neither you, or I, or anybody is going to be traveling there for several years. By the time we do, there won't even be nouns and verbs left: conversations like the one I outlined above will be archaic and all people will be able to do is communicate with grunts and eye rolls.

They gave me AZ too. So far no side effects at all.

Back