Covid Vaccination Argentina

I disagree. The Federal Government HEAVILY favors Kiciloff, and sends him eight times what it sends to CABA. But Larreta, a vastly superior administrator, manages his few resources far better than Cristina's favorite does.
Actually, 4.74 times more vaccines were sent to BA province than were sent to CABA, the data is here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/coronavirus/vacuna/aplicadas The distribution between the provinces is supposed to be determined by the relative populations.

Larreta and his weasley health minister spent the first months of the vaccination campaign whining about how they had too many old people and health workers so they should get more vaccines. Now that those categories have been vaccinated, they should be moving faster through the relatively fewer young people, but they're consistently a step behind BA province in opening the lower age categories for vaccination. Now, of course, they've started agitating for 2nd doses for their voter constituency while under 40s are still exposed.

13 March 2020
From the Hospital Italiano to coordinator of the crisis: who is Fernán Quirós, the CABA Minister of Health.
He arrived to the post at the hand of a former minister of Maria Eugenia Vidal in the middle of a crisis in 2008. Macri invited him to the Boca Juniors Stadium. Talks with Larreta and links with the Nation and Province. The story of the minister who has to manage the crisis in the City....

....Methodical, meticulous and obsessive with work, he is currently the one who coordinates all the operations linked to the pandemic, which forced him to raise his profile as he never imagined. He had come to the City in 2008 because of the friendship that Gigante - former Buenos Aires Minister of Infrastructure - maintains with Santiago Just Tiscornia and Fernando Mayorga, two of the best ophthalmologists in the country, who knew Quirós well.... Quirós graduated as a doctor in 1987 with an honorary degree from the University of Buenos Aires and became Deputy Medical Director of Strategic Planning of the Hospital Italiano, Full Professor and Chief of the Department of Human Physiology of the Instituto Universitario of the Hospital Italiano and Director of the Master's program in Clinical Research Clinic of the same institute where he spent more than 30 years....

1624616336281.png

On June 24, Dr. Claudio Zin appeared live on La Nacion+ and gave an explanation re: this graph.
...."the green line corresponds to the Sputnik V, the yellow line to the Astra/Zeneca and the dotted red line to the CanSino vaccine.
Prime Immunization....with first dose. Boost Immunization....with 2nd dose at an interval of 21 days".

24 June 2021 at 8:40pm
The Gamaleya Institute says that the passage of time affects the effectiveness of the first dose. According to the infographic, the immune response in the case of the application of a single component decreases with the passage of weeks, after the maximum point reached at 21 days.

The Gamaleya Institute of Russia, creator of the vaccine against covid Sputnik V, which ensures that the protection of the first dose persists regardless of the second, demonstrated in a report entitled "Advantages of booster immunization" that around day 28 after the first dose of a single component vaccine (single immunization, for example ad5), the immune response gradually decreases, being lower on day 56.

The graph published by the Russian institute also shows that with other two-component vaccines, but with the same type of vector for booster immunization, “for example ad26 plus ad26”, the immune response is lower than that of the two components with another type of vector - as in the case of Sputnik V - but greater than if a single dose is applied. The publication comes after weeks of questions and complaints about the delays in the arrival of the second doses of the Sputnik V vaccine to Argentina. Finally from Russia they confirmed this June 24 that next week they will send a shipment with the second component. From the national government they said that although the three months elapsed from the first dose "the applied vaccines do not lose the effect" and that the effectiveness of the first dose is 73.6%.

The vaccines applied do not lose the effect. Vaccines do not expire. As time passes, the antibodies go down. What has been recommended in many countries is to prioritize the first dose and defer the second to reach as many people as possible. Vaccination schedules are always completed. The organism has immune and cellular memory ”, argued Health Minister Carla Vizzotti. This is why, they point out, the immune response after the application of the second component of Sputnik V, "another type of vector for booster immunization (ad26 plus ad5)" is much higher.

Last edited:
I seem to have hit a nerve with this. However, the vaccination campaign here in the city has been characterized right from the beginning by poor administration (remember the chaos at Luna park: "Hombres y mujeres de más de 80 años, principal grupo de riesgo en el marco de la pandemia de coronavirus, tuvieron que esperar durante horas bajo el sol, aglomerados, sin sillas ni agua", which was repeated at several other vaccination centres over the following days). The health minister had one thing to do on that first day: to be present in person and ensure the most hopeful event of the year was a success. This failure alone would be sufficient cause to remove him from his post.

But the vaccination campaign has also been characterized by poor decision-making, in particular the decision to extend the vaccination centres to include private health companies ("17% de las dosis son administradas por obras sociales y prepagas, sin control del Estado"), at the same time as the city government was continually whingeing about not having enough vaccines. Here's an analogy: imagine you're a director of strategic planning at the Hospital Italiano, you have 41 operating theatres, and there is a shortage of anaesthetic. How will you solve the problem? By creating more operating theatres? Of course not. The decision to create more vaccination centres simply creates more channels and more opportunities to lose track of the vaccine doses. It's inexplicable from a health or a logistical viewpoint.

I've commented previously on how Quiros says he's studying the COVID case number trends, and then announces openings and relaxations on the days of the highest case peaks. Even if you discount my idea that politics rather than health drive his policies, it shouldn't be too hard to set targets of how many new cases per 100,000 people, or a target r-number, rather than weaseling out of his responsibility to provide transparency by saying he's "studying the trends".

Also, the city campaign, after vaccinating the over-represented senior citizens and medical personnel, still lags the province's campaign even as the relatively fewer under 60s are being vaccinated. The age groups open later, unvaccinated seniors are invited to come without appointment later, and so on.

And finally, we have the invented controversy of the 2nd doses. Quiros has already tried this one before, when under-60s were to be the next age group to be vaccinated, and he seemed to have been forced into a U-turn then. Now he's trying it on again. Again, it's not driven by medical concerns, as one of the articles Gracielle quoted has it: "What has been recommended in many countries is to prioritize the first dose and defer the second to reach as many people as possible. Vaccination schedules are always completed". Even if under 40s are less likely to suffer serious consequences from COVID, they are the group with most mobility, through work, socializing, or whatever, so they are also the group most likely to spread the virus. By vaccinating these people, more people are protected, whereas vaccinating a less mobile senior citizen protects only that one person. But guess which age group is more likely to vote for Larreta and Quiros' party? There is published data for the last provincial elections if you have any doubts.

Maybe Quiros should have remained at the Hospital Italiano, there would be no shame in that, but as health minister he's a living embodiment of the Peter Principle, and for all his exaggerated pseudo-empathic grimacing at his press conferences, he's as untrustworthy as any politician. Perhaps I'm alone in my opinion, but I don't believe a word he says anymore.

FrankPintor -
At this point, your visceral dislike of Dr. Quiros - you called him "weasley" - has become quite clear.
Well, people are entitled to their own opinions, biased or not. Let's move on.

p.s. What is "whingeing"? Did you mean to say whining?
.... the city government was continually whingeing about not having enough vaccines.

Last edited:
FrankPintor -
At this point, your visceral dislike of Dr. Quiros - you called him "weasley" - has become quite clear.

¡OBVIO! - The context says it was meant to be "whining." (I can't tell you how many times spell check has wrecked me;-) And on the other strong possibility, there are quite a few people here who are ESL (English as a second language.) - All understandable, all forgivable.

FrankPintor -

As you've made clear your instinctive favouritism of Quiros and his colleagues by crediting them with "vastly superior" administrative skills and incorrectly with receiving 8 times fewer vaccines than BA province. I like to think my criticisms are fact based.

Definitions for whinge and whine are easy to come by. Anyway we've stated our opinions, I'm not about to make any personal attacks on you, we should certainly move on.

As you've made clear your instinctive favouritism of Quiros and his colleagues by crediting them with "vastly superior" administrative skills and incorrectly with receiving 8 times fewer vaccines than BA province. I like to think my criticisms are fact based.

Definitions for whinge and whine are easy to come by. Anyway we've stated our opinions, I'm not about to make any personal attacks on you, we should certainly move on.
Hey Frank! Son of a gun! That is British English! (I would have never known if you didn't make this follow up post - Thanks! I always want to get better.)

Hey Frank! Son of a gun! That is British English! (I would have never known if you didn't make this follow up post - Thanks! I always want to get better.)
I was going to reply to your previous post... I am actually a native English speaker, but I'll take your post as an opportune reminder to myself not to behave like a grammar Nazi to those who aren't :)

I originally wanted to write "whingeing" but for some reason it didn't look correct. In the light of day I decided it looks fine so I decided to use it. I think the word is more commonly used in Australia, but it works fine for me in this context.

Back