Covid Vaccination Argentina

I tried to get my second shot of Sputnik last week, but when I logged on the the site I was told that all the spots were already taken.

This article, sourced from the New York Times, also says that breakthrough cases are higher than the trial results led us to believe they would be:

“Remember when the early vaccine studies came out, it was like nobody gets hospitalised, nobody dies,” said Dr Robert Wachter, chairman of the department of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. “That clearly is not true.”

It goes on to say that "[M]ost analyses of breakthrough infections have included figures collected through the end of June. Based on the cumulative figures, the CDC and public health experts had concluded that breakthrough infections were extremely rare, and that vaccinated people were highly unlikely to become severely ill."

It is poorly written. I'd like to think it means to say that vaccinated people who become breakthrough cases are unlikely to become severely ill. Maybe that's what it means, but that's not what it says.

Again, we have to make of it what we will.

This unusually in-depth article by the BBC takes a different perspective regarding breakthrough infections and booster doses: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58270098

Some of the more eye-catching quotes:

You get a broader immune response after being infected with the virus than vaccination; Whether you've had Moderna or Pfizer or Oxford-AstraZeneca, your body is learning to spot just one thing - the spike protein.

The biggest immune response comes from people who caught Covid and were then vaccinated. We're still waiting for data on what happens the other way round. There is potential in using vaccines to "take the edge off" Covid, followed by infection, to broaden the immune response.

13 August 2021....Source: Clarin.com
"Formula Merkel"....why the Argentine gov't promotes inoculation with a different vaccine as the second dose for Oxford-AstraZeneca. The
initiative of the combined schemes includes an extra option, of which little and nothing has been said so far: the "cross" of Oxford- AstraZeneca with Moderna....Given that Pfizer and Moderna are "cousins" (both from the US, both built on mRNA platforms), it was logical to assume (as Merkel would have done) that the result of both acting as "drivers" (reinforcement) for AstraZeneca would be more or less similar....

....The Gov't not only promotes that those who started their scheme with the Russian vaccine can complete it with AstraZeneca or Moderna,
but also that those who started with AstraZeneca can complete it with Moderna....We must not forget the context: the authorities are pending the administration of second doses in the face of what they consider an imminent wave (whose magnitude no one can predict, for now) by the Delta variant, whose severe effects are only manageable with full vaccination schedules....

....As Daniela Hozbor, “Vaccinologist” at the Institute of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology (IBBM) and professor at the UNLP, explained to Clarín, “these schemes generate a more robust response even for the most difficult variants to induce protection, such as the beta variant” ("Former" South Africa)....The authors of the report also say that Moderna would be an excellent choice as a third dose for those who have received the full AstraZeneca scheme. The second issue for which it makes sense to promote heterologous vaccination is timing. The more auspicious the data from the laboratory's pooling, the easier it will be to increase the scope of vaccination, which is now progressing faster but started too slowly in the country. In the face of a potential advance of Delta (or any other variant, in the future), new safe and effective combinations will give more plasticity to any campaign....

I just read this article and it seems to say that they will not offer Astrazeneca with Moderna as the 2nd dose as up to now its not necessary. Although they say it is safe and effective - have you found any other sources saying that Moderna will be offered as 2nd dose to Astrazeneca here?

Aunque el Gobierno confirmó hace unos días que el tándem de AstraZeneca y Moderna es seguro y eficaz (No dieron a conocer datos concretos; el anuncio fue «atado» a los datos de la combinación de Sputnik con otras marcas), confirmaron a los Ministerios de Salud de la Ciudad y de la Provincia de Buenos Aires. Clarín eso por ahora no están ofreciendo esta opción heteróloga, básicamente porque «hasta ahora no era necesario».

I just read this article and it seems to say that they will not offer Astrazeneca with Moderna as the 2nd dose as up to now its not necessary. Although they say it is safe and effective - have you found any other sources saying that Moderna will be offered as 2nd dose to Astrazeneca here?
NO....the only news I read per Pagina12 was that the national gov't "had run out of Moderna" as of last week.

NO....the only news I read per Pagina12 was that the national gov't "had run out of Moderna" as of last week.
Given that Moderna was authorized for 12-17 year old adolescents, and publicized in that way before it arrived, this is bloody disappointing. "Y los chicos"? as the certain politicians used to bleat, when it suited them...

Given that Moderna was authorized for 12-17 year old adolescents, and publicized in that way before it arrived, this is bloody disappointing. "Y los chicos"? as the certain politicians used to bleat, when it suited them...
29 July 2021
The 901,040 Moderna vaccines for adolescents with risk factors are being distributed among the provinces according to the population of each district, in line with those established in the national immunization program....

I know a person who got Modena as the second shot following Sputnik.. she had been waiting months

I know a person who got Modena as the second shot following Sputnik.. she had been waiting months
CABA received "60.480 doses of Moderna aimed at adolescents ages 12-17 with risk factors". According to the City Health Ministry, 70% of the 60,480 were used to inoculate 100% of those teens whose parents requested appts. The 30% leftover were utilized as the 2nd shot for adults, starting with the oldest, who had received Sputnik V as the 1st dose and their gap time had exceeded 90+ days .

My dr tells me los politicos are going to make every effort to import and release the US vaccines in an attempt to swing the elections in the coming month. Thoughts on chances?

Back