Covid Vaccination Argentina

My dr tells me los politicos are going to make every effort to import and release the US vaccines in an attempt to swing the elections in the coming month. Thoughts on chances?
The date of the PASO primaries is September 14. The mid-term elections are scheduled for November 14. Issue #1: number of vaccines actually procured by Sept. Issue #2: the arrival on ARG soil of Pfizer and any additional batches of Moderna. #3: national distribution logistics, which up to now, leave much to be desired. In my opinion....too little, too late.

The date of the PASO primaries is September 14. The mid-term elections are scheduled for November 14. Issue #1: number of vaccines actually procured by Sept. Issue #2: the arrival on ARG soil of Pfizer and any additional batches of Moderna. #3: national distribution logistics, which up to now, leave much to be desired. In my opinion....too little, too late.
Addendum: I am not referring to which political party is the winner. Many persons may continue to be on the losing end in terms of vaccines applied in due time in light of the Delta variant.

My dr tells me los politicos are going to make every effort to import and release the US vaccines in an attempt to swing the elections in the coming month. Thoughts on chances?
Others can choose to believe the words of the ex-minister of health of the Province of BA.
24 August 2021
Daniel Gollán: "Considering where we started from, we were able to cope well with the pandemic". The ex-minister of health of the Province of BA, who is the current pre-legislative candidate of the Frente de Todos, defended the management and projected that "in a month and a half we will be with 90% of the population vaccinated."....

In his statement, Gollan did not specify if "the 90% of the population vaccinated" will be with the two doses!

Others can choose to believe the words of the ex-minister of health of the Province of BA.
24 August 2021
Daniel Gollán: "Considering where we started from, we were able to cope well with the pandemic". The ex-minister of health of the Province of BA, who is the current pre-legislative candidate of the Frente de Todos, defended the management and projected that "in a month and a half we will be with 90% of the population vaccinated."....

In his statement, Gollan did not specify if "the 90% of the population vaccinated" will be with the two doses!
Like in his own province that continues to lag behind?
  • One dose
    • PBA - 59,79%/ CABA - 70,20%/ National average - 60,23%
  • Two dose
    • PBA - 25,60%/ CABA - 37,64%/ National average - 27,05%
  • Doses applied
    • PBA - 88%/ CABA - 100%/ National average - 89,43%
And I would not call 246,13 deaths per 100,000 "doing well" when countries that simply let it run rampant like Brazil are sitting on 272 and Mexico at 198, also considering where they started from.

The great thing with broad statements from career politicians like this is that he can come back later and say "I was referring to 90% of the population over 65 years old." followed by "Ah, pero si fuera..."

24 August 2021 at 3:30pm
Press conference by Carla Vizzoti re: which vaccines are forthcoming, etc.

Advance video to the starting point of the conference at 2:05 minutes.

24 August 2021
Confirmed: the arrival of the first shipment of Pfizer, with 580,000 doses. During this afternoon's press conference, the Minister of Health, Carla Vizzotti, confirmed that a total of 20 million doses will arrive between September, October, November and December, in weekly deliveries....

As had to happen eventually, excess mortality data is finally becoming available for Argentina, initially in the form of scholarly articles, but I imagine it will be picked up at some point by The Economist (https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker) and the Financial Times (https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938 unfortunately now very out of date).

From "Excess mortality associated with the COVID-19 pandemic during 2020 in the Buenos Aires province, Argentina" (http://rasp.msal.gov.ar/rasp/articulos/vol13supl/AO_Pescie31.pdf) we have this graph which puts Argentina (represented by Buenos Aires Province) at pretty much the same level as most European countries:

Excess 01.png

From "All-cause excess mortality during the COVID-19 pandemic in Argentina, 2020" (https://ojsrasp.msal.gov.ar/index.php/rasp/article/view/672/641) we have this table showing excess mortality during 2020 in Argentina to be 10.6%, or about the same as France, for example, looking at the FT charts. Be sure to compare with other Latin American countries like Brazil (34%), and Mexico (55%):

Excess 02.png
Obviously this new Argentinian data is going to pass through a period of peer review and criticism before it's widely accepted, but right now it's clear that anyone suggesting Brazil and Mexico have outperformed Argentina, or that those two countries are counting COVID victims correctly (they're estimated to be undercounting hugely), or are otherwise somehow examples to follow, is not to be taken seriously.

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 00.40.56.png

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 01.48.24.png

Excess death data from Argentina is available at our world in data up until the end of 2020 only.

The first wave of COVID deaths in Argentina was mostly concentrated between August-November 2020. Some months after many countries in 2020.

The study using 2020 PBA data was compiled in March 2021 and was co-authored by Nicholas Kreplak, the current PBA minister of health while the "all-cause" study was co-authored by Carla Vizzotti in June 2021, the current national minister of health.

The second and most deadly wave of infections in Argentina occurred in mid-2021 and is not reflected in any of these numbers.

While it is almost certain the official numbers in most countries are likely lower than reality, until Argentina provides complete and up-to-date data, comparing Argentina's own excess deaths against others is little more than conjecture. Then, when comparing excess death data it is worth a deeper look into the drivers of excess deaths to narrow down the issue especially in countries that also face other variables such as reporting delays and date of death considered in data, significant endemic and lifestyle diseases as well as high rates of violence. Until then there is a similar risk that Argentina is also underreporting its own deaths by error or omission.

“Protection after two shots of Pfizer decreased from 88% at one month to 74% at five to six months.
For AstraZeneca, the fall was from 77% to 67% at four to five months...

....Whatever the cause though, experts have been clear we should expect to be repeatedly infected over our lifetimes.

The important thing is that each re-infection should be milder as the vaccines remain highly effective at preventing serious illness.”

Last edited:
26 August 2021 by Pablo Sigal at 2:49pm
Pfizer vaccine: why Brazil will produce the doses that Argentina wanted to manufacture....One of the countries that managed to overcome the obstacles well before ours was Brazil, which allowed it - as seen now - not only to access in advance the first doses that Argentina is now waiting for until September. But at the same time to advance in the project that is now being made official: the Eurofarma plant will obtain the transfer of technology from Pfizer and production will begin in 2022....
....It is not that Argentina did not have all the scientific and of installed capacity qualities to eventually be able to take on this challenge. However, one of the differences was the route taken by one country and the other until August 26, 2021, the day which it has been made known that Brazil has been chosen to do what Argentina intended at some point during the pandemic....

Back