Covid Vaccination Argentina

It's not looking too good here right now:https://batimes.com.ar/news/argenti...f-daily-covid-infections-in-four-months.phtml Highlights from this and from https://www.lanacion.com.ar/socieda...allecidos-coronavirus-argentina-nid2350330/#/:
  • The number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Argentina has risen by a factor of 10 in just a month, reaching 9336 on Tuesday
  • The number of Covid tests also increased 47 percent to 46,832 tests per day
  • 31.8 million (70% of the population) with 2 doses, 2 million with a booster dose
Test positivity is now 13%, a big increase from a month ago, despite the increase in tests being done. I saw long queues for testing at both La Rural and the CEMIC clinic, so worse is to come I think.

The increases in cases in CABA really looks like the exponential growth described here: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/12/covid-cases-omicron-highly-contagious/621038/
Yes -- it's omicron. Nothing that can be done short of closing down everything. The vacunas will not stop most people from getting omicron but those vaccinated will likely be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. The omicron variant has a mutation it got thru a gene insertion from another coronavirus that causes a common cold, that makes it more prone to infect the upper respiratory system. That generally means that the body's immune response will be triggered before it goes to your lungs and thus it "should" be less severe for most people. But the issue is that it's just so contagious. In about 2 weeks we will have a clear idea what's going on....my guess is that cases will go thru the roof everywhere but hospitalizations and deaths will remain relatively low.

The omicron variant has a mutation it got thru a gene insertion from another coronavirus that causes a common cold, that makes it more prone to infect the upper respiratory system. That generally means that the body's immune response will be triggered before it goes to your lungs and thus it "should" be less severe for most people. But the issue is that it's just so contagious. In about 2 weeks we will have a clear idea what's going on....my guess is that cases will go thru the roof everywhere but hospitalizations and deaths will remain relatively low.
Have you any references for the gene insertion? It's just out of interest, I haven't seen it before.
the big measures for me: are hospital beds filling up? are the morgues running out of room again?

If no, then its a bit sensational. Cases do not means deaths or severe cases.
Yes, that is the big question. Too early to tell yet I think. But once ICU beds fill up, deaths will take off, both because of not being able to admit COVID patients (ambulances parked in hospital car parks...) and because of not being able to treat patients with other conditions (who will have been killed by COVID just as much as those who actually caught COVID and died).

why are we so focused on cases and tests still? why aren't we focused on the seriousness of cases, ICU beds, etc

According to La Nacion air travel to Brazil for those with 2 doses of Sputnik is uncertain..!
Passengers boarding a Fly Bondi flight at Ezeiza destined to Florianópolis had to wait for hours before the issue was resolved.

why are we so focused on cases and tests still? why aren't we focused on the seriousness of cases, ICU beds, etc
Cases and tests are easy to measure, and the data is available right away. Seriousness of cases is more difficult to measure, and could change from hour to hour (unless you mean death rates, which are a bit more final), and ICU bed occupation is a very laggy indicator (like 10-14 days after infection?).

One indication of how fast things are moving here is that La Rural is now requiring an appointment for a PCR test. That hasn't happened before, I believe.

Have you any references for the gene insertion? It's just out of interest, I haven't seen it before.
No I saw it somewhere. They suspect that the virus mutated in a person with immune suppression (likely due to HIV/AIDS), which is very common in southern Africa, and that person at some point also had another coronavirus causing one of the 'common colds'. The 2 viruses swapped a few fragments. This is just a hypothesis.

22 Dec 2021
Argentina receives first shipment of the 20 million doses purchased from Moderna.....2,643,340 doses. The shipment is scheduled to land early this morning on Latam Cargo flight UC1103. According to the Gov't, it will allow the initiation and completion of schemes as well as to advance in the strategy for the application of booster doses, both in adolescents and adults....In addition, a new shipment with another 1,085,200 doses of AstraZeneca will arrive today around 9:45 p.m. on Aeromexico flight AM0030....

22 Dec 2021
....Regarding the application of third doses, Quiros clarified that boosters should be applied five months after the completion of an individual's vaccination schedule....Also announced that it would only partially adhere to the National Gov't's introduction of a Covid health pass for events as announced on Wed. The City of BA will only ask for proof of vaccination (with two doses) for massive events and entrance to nightclubs....

Back