Covid Vaccination Argentina

An interesting story / new statistic to follow as it evolves, which fortunately Argentina does appear to be keeping track of and making public.

"More than 125,000 people vaccinated in the country against COVID-19 were infected and 3,141 died
1.6% of those immunized with at least one dose contracted the disease, but only 0.04% died. These are data as of May 8 from the Ministry of Health of the Nation to which Infobae had access" ...

"It was known last week that, according to a study by the Argentine Society of Intensive Care (SATI) , with data as of May 28 , 12.3% of COVID-positive patients in therapy had received at least one dose in the 15 days prior to admission, and only 1.5%, the two doses. The sample was made based on data from 3,781 beds in 177 intensive care units (ICUs) of public and private hospitals throughout the country." ...

"A recent investigation carried out by the Ministry of Health of the Province of Buenos Aires revealed an effectiveness of the Sputnik-V vaccine of 78.6% to avoid cases of COVID-19, of 84.7% to avoid deaths and 87, 6% to reduce hospitalizations in people aged 60 to 79 years . It was the first study conducted outside of Russia." ...

Also interesting as when Alberto had COVID back in April after being vaccinated, the producer made a public claim that it is "100% effective against severe cases" and "ensures quick recovery without severe symptoms". As a few months pass we see that claim is misleading or no longer valid.

(Disclaimer - I know it is a touchy subject but this underlines the importance of keeping an open mind. Definitely not suggesting any vaccine is "bad", "unsafe" or should be avoided. The benefits by far outweigh the cons. Important however for everyone to stay conscious of the facts and remember that precautions should still be taken, even after being vaccinated, in order to further reduce individual risk of serious illness or death. Chances are very low but hey, everyone's life is their own.)
Your life is the single most valuable thing you possess, it is worth more than anything.

Do what you will with it. Vaccinate it, don't vaccinate it, it's a personal decision.

Regardless of whatever you do, just enjoy your time alive as best you can.

That sums it up for me. Life is too short to get caught up in whatever you have no interest in. And each person get's to decide, pick and choose their spots to focus on.

Also interesting as when Alberto had COVID back in April after being vaccinated, the producer made a public claim that it is "100% effective against severe cases" and "ensures quick recovery without severe symptoms". As a few months pass we see that claim is misleading or no longer valid.
He quoted the results from the study. These numbers were obtained when the vaccine was fully effective. That means 2 weeks after the second jab.
Alberto got infected over 2 months after his first shot. So, he falls into this category, but not the people who "had received at least one dose in the 15 days prior to admission". The second jab is there for a reason.
"A recent investigation carried out by the Ministry of Health of the Province of Buenos Aires revealed an effectiveness of the Sputnik-V vaccine of 78.6% to avoid cases of COVID-19, of 84.7% to avoid deaths and 87, 6% to reduce hospitalizations in people aged 60 to 79 years . It was the first study conducted outside of Russia."
Again, this is after the first jab only. The source you quoted here forgot to mention it.

An interesting story / new statistic to follow as it evolves, which fortunately Argentina does appear to be keeping track of and making public.
Either the study was dodgy or the journalist reporting it is innumerate. What are we to make of the finding that Sputnik is only 84.7% effective against death? Surely that can't be right? And, apparently, it is better at preventing hospitalization than it is against preventing death? Does that make sense?

As it’s new, I would wait to have a link to the raw report and see it run through Chequeado before speculating too much further on its contents. Would be interested to know if anyone has a link to the raw Prov BA health ministry report?

@Albie - I would make of it that of all vaccinated persons in Argentina (eg all three vaccines in use, including Sputnik) 0,04% have died of COVID.

Most importantly I would take from it the most basic message that there are increasing cases of people dying and being put into ICU well after receiving both doses of Sputnik V. That contradicts the widely circulated statements previously put out and celebrated by the lab (eg that famous tweet) and some in government that could lead some people to have a false sense of security - regardless of the stats about efficacy or “small print”.

Last edited:
As it’s new, I would wait to have a link to the raw report and see it run through Chequeado before speculating too much further on its contents. Would be interested to know if anyone has a link to the raw Prov BA health ministry report?

@Albie - I would make of it that of all vaccinated persons in Argentina (eg all three vaccines in use, including Sputnik) 0,04% have died of COVID.

Most importantly I would take from it the most basic message that there are increasing cases of people dying and being put into ICU well after receiving both doses of Sputnik V. That contradicts the widely circulated statements previously put out and celebrated by the lab (eg that famous tweet) and some in government that could lead some people to have a false sense of security - regardless of the stats about efficacy or “small print”.
I completely agree. I have never expected that being vaccinated would change much about how I live day-to-day, which was part of the reason I wasn't rushing to get it. Now that it seems to be coming closer I still don't think my habits will alter. Amongst the positives of this whole experience has been much better overall respiratory health, something I don't want lose in the future, whether it be coronavirus or any other bug.

I see that CABA is now calling for people who signed up for the 55-59 age group to make appointments for the vaccine.

The sign-up procedure in Buenos Aires Province is simpler, you sign up, and they assign you an appointment at a vaccine centre. I know several people who got vaccinated in Buenos Aires Province in the last few days, in the 18-59 age group with medical conditions. Appointments are given out quickly, in 1-2 days, the process is very unbureaucratic: you present your documentation, answer a few medically-orientated questions, if your medical condition isn't something obvious, like obesity with BMI > 35, you might be required to sign a declaration regarding your condition. No checks for domicile reported, even presenting DNIs with addresses in CABA.

Right now, Astra-Zeneca is being given, people's reactions vary, from nothing much to 1-2 days with fever. Second doses are envisaged for 3 months later, but a single dose has 76% efficacy anyway.

In my opinion, the main difference is that at CABA you have to show that you deserve it while at BA province an affidavit is good enough.

In Entre Rios, It was 18-59 with medical conditions. I got it recently. Sputnik V. Exciting! Not a lot of checking at all and a single nurse working alone...

Reminded me of the old joke: What do you give a customs officer for his retirement? A night working alone.

Does anyone know if you take the vaccine here in Argentina, whichever they give you can you then take 2 Pfizer shots??? I will be going to the U.S. and would prefer to get the Pfizer vaccine BUT I am not able to travel for the next 2 months. I am at high risk, I try to not go out at all but people that say that still get infected.

Any knowledge or info on this?

Does anyone know if you take the vaccine here in Argentina, whichever they give you can you then take 2 Pfizer shots??? I will be going to the U.S. and would prefer to get the Pfizer vaccine BUT I am not able to travel for the next 2 months. I am at high risk, I try to not go out at all but people that say that still get infected.

Any knowledge or info on this?
You want to be on the bleeding edge of medical research :) Right now, I think the best you can do is google "mixing covid vaccines". The tendency seems to view mixing vaccines favourably, possibly with stronger side effects, and it seems it's being done in some places like Canada due to vaccine shortages.

Is there a downside? You might want to have a look at some of the articles here: https://www.theatlantic.com/projects/our-essential-coronavirus-coverage/, there's https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/05/spike-protein-vaccines-covid/618954/ which discusses new vaccines and says "Stuffing too many triggers into a vaccine could backfire if, for instance, an extraneous protein ended up distracting cells from spike". Depending on which vaccines you combine you might be in that situation.

In 2 months we will probably know more, though.

Back