Covid Vaccination Argentina

15 June 2021
The city of Buenos Aires will open the registration today for those over 45 years of age without comorbidities to be vaccinated.....

15 June 2021

Argentina will not be able to access the vaccines donated by Biden until it signs contracts with pharmaceutical companies in the US. The White House will announce a new global transfer, but the absence of legal agreements with Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen hinders immediate access to the millions of doses assigned to the country....

I would personally prefer Sputnik V and Sinopharm to AstraZeneca after reading all these thrombosis stories.

I got vaccinated by AstraZeneca today at Teatro San Martin.

I passed the theater building a couple of times before and thought: these people must have a real craving for the art. At the peak of the pandemic, when almost 700 people are dying daily, they are standing in line to the theater. Well, it happened to be a vaccination center:).

They make you to sit there for 15 minutes after the vaccination. Then if you can answer a couple of questions coherently, you can go.

The next shot is in 84 days.

I got vaccinated by AstraZeneca today at Teatro San Martin.

I passed the theater building a couple of times before and thought: these people must have a real craving for the art. At the peak of the pandemic, when almost 700 people are dying daily, they are standing in line to the theater. Well, it happened to be a vaccination center:).

They make you to sit there for 15 minutes after the vaccination. Then if you can answer a couple of questions coherently, you can go.

The next shot is in 84 days.
Yes, 84 days is the 12 weeks currently recommended for the 2nd A-Z dose. A single dose is something like 76% effective anyway, the 2nd dose would add maybe 6% more to that, so it's not a big deal I think. I found the A-Z side effects to be more than I expected, kicking in maybe 9 hours after being vaccinated, but it seems to be very individual.

A single dose is something like 76% effective anyway, the 2nd dose would add maybe 6% more to that, so it's not a big deal I think.

May be a bit higher, but I still need to get there.
In a weekly surveillance report, Public Health England said the estimated effectiveness of the AstraZeneca vaccine, invented at the University of Oxford, was 89% compared to unvaccinated people.

May be a bit higher, but I still need to get there.

OK, got it, that's a fairly recent study, they do say here's low confidence in the results and more studies are needed. There's been a lot of back and forth with the A-Z vaccine, from extending the interval between doses to 12 weeks and now reducing it to 8, and whether a full second dose or a half-one would be best, not to mention the blood clots and thrombosis which at 1 in 400,000 cases doesn't worry me too much. It was originally designed as a single dose vaccine I believe. But 10-15% more protection from the 2nd dose is worth waiting for I guess.

But 10-15% more protection from the 2nd dose is worth waiting for I guess.

It is not only about 10-15% more protection, but probably the vaccine effect lasts much longer after the second shot.

Recently a lot of provinces have added people with autoimmune diseases to the risk categories but CABA still hasn't done so it seems

16 June 2021
Coronavirus: what the Argentine experts say and the statistics on the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine....

15 June 2021

In CABA and Province of BA. Covid vaccine: what to do if you signed up and your turn hasn't come....

15 June 2021
In CABA and Province of BA. Covid vaccine: what to do if you signed up and your turn hasn't come....
Indeed. I followed the instructions in Clarin, sending a message to the Whatsapp number (+54911 5050-0147) to see if I was really enrolled (i.e., to see whether the enrollment I did on 4 June had been successful). Once you've got the number in Whatsapp in your phone, you just send any message (e.g., "hola") to get started. "Boti", el robot de la Ciudad, writes back and asks you questions. The first answers in order are C (Vacuna Covid), C (¿Estoy en el padron?). Then Boti asks you would type of ID you have. The answer will be A (DNI), B (pasaporte) or C (Otro DNI). Then Boti asks for your document number, and then your sexo (F or M). In my case, he proceeded to inform me that the system had NOT been able to properly enroll me and that I should call 147 (which is a free call, so for those using prepaid don't worry about running out of saldo at the crucial moment).

I called 147. There were a couple of choices to get through to the right area (I think both were option 1). I was on hold for only a few minutes. They passed me through three polite staffers, I had to repeat all my enrollment data to each one (DOB, ID, phone number, email, street address). I got the impression that enrolling with a passport may have been the issue that tripped up the system. In any case, the third person I gave the information to asked me what obra social I have (because some are arranging the vaccinations for their clients, but mine isn't one of those) and then proceeded to re-enroll me, this time properly, I hope. I will report back how quickly they get in touch with me to program the vaccination (assuming they do).

Although frustrating to be in this position, the Whatsapp and 147 calling processes worked well and only took about 20-30 minutes all up.

Back