Crap Dirt Expensive Veggies...hydroponics!

james p

Registered
Lets face it, is it worth paying 1000 pesos for dirt for a small crop pf vegetables here???? are tomotos really worth 15 pesos el kilo? I have tried growing veggiesoin my rooftop in the past, but I am finding much more success in hydroponics, with no cash outlay....those bleach containers and styrofoam stuffers from appliances work wonders....anybody interested?

Hey, I'd be interested to know more about what you're doing. Where do you buy nutrient solution? Is the output really as high as touted, i.e., many times faster growing and produce output?

Guys keep in mind that those of you who pay sky-high prices for vegetables and fruits live in high-rent districts where the stores pay very high retail rents. I live in Congreso and I just came home from the verduleria La Monumental, Av. Entre Rios, right off Av. Belgrano.

Bananas: $6,50 kg
Tomatoes: $5,00 kg
Fresh figs: $1,00 each
Onions $3,50 kg
Carrots $4,50 kg
Peaches $,8,00 kg
Eggs $8,00 dozen

I am not saying prices in Argentina for food are any bargain, but most of the country pays closer to what I pay in Congreso that what a person who lives in Recoleta, Palermo, or Belgrano would pay.

I'm slowly teaching my kids how the economy/inflation works here by having them buy bananas. Currently our "peruano" @ Caballito has the Kg for $9 while the 3 other verdulerias around the same corner sell them at $12 per Kg.

The other day we walked from Cabildo and Juramento to Pacífico and somewhere along the way we found bananas at 2Kg x $13. Great deal I thought and bought them. Same bananas were 3kg x $12 at the corner of Juan B. Justo and Sta Fé.

I look at the prices and I notice they're rising
While my wallet gently weeps
With every increase we must surely be learning
Still my wallet gently weeps..
(cue G. Harrison/E. Clapton guitar solos)

James ,great idea.Wish Ihad the space for it.One of the 5star chain hotels has a hydroponic rooftop and they source all their greens from there.Second the idea of shopping around.A week ago the price of strawbs : VERDULERIA 15pesos/Coto 69 pesos.......BUTcarrots in the verduleria were 7 pesos,while Coto had them on soecial offer at 3 !

If you go to the central market on saturdays after midday you will be surprised by the low prices.
On the other hand, hidroponics makes no sense here, use soil.

Back