Crime Beware

RichardP said:
All joking aside, I watched a waiter swipe a cell phone off of a customer's table in a restaurant here after he convinced him that some women were giving him the eye and that he should go over and chat them up. After the customer checked out the situation and returned to his table, we let him know where his cell phone was. He went to the manager and they promptly "found" his phone which they tried to convince him that he had lost. This is in a very popular spot that is in all the tourist guides and is loved by locals as well.

I've seen a purse snatcher in a restaurant in San Telmo tackled by the men at the next table and held for the police.

I've also witnesses purse snatching in the streets of Palermo.

It's routine here.

Get used to it.

(And take appropriate measures to "prevent" it.)

ElQueso said:
My wife got robbed of her cellphone on the subte Friday. She's from Paraguay and KNOWS better, but she hasn't lived in the city for almost two years now and I reckon maybe she got complacent.

She had called someone just before she went down in the subte. The mistake she made was that she put the phone in a front pocket of her purse that was easily opened. Once she got in a car, shortly after a couple of youngsters entered right after her and began pushing and shoving past her. A few minutes later she realized that the flap where the phone was was open and nothing inside. I'm betting they saw her put the phone in that flap and followed her down.

She loved that phone. It was a touchscreen LG I had someone bring down from the States and only cost me about $160 USD. Not a terrible loss money-wise, but she was so heartbroken about the loss and she is still kicking herself for being so naive about how she lost it.

I was told that from the very beginning. Touch screens are a no no. I just bought a $150 peso samsung yesterday. My touch screen samsung, is safely packed away. Though it wasn't very expensive either and in truth i kind of hated it, it still don't want to give it away - or make myself a target.

I think I'll take one of my old (non-working) Olympus cameas on linea A (supposedly the "best" according to one member) and act like a tourist.

I'll report the crime here (only).

victoria said:
Hmmmm, those new policia are kinda hot.

I've seen a few "somuchbetterthanangiedickenson" Argentine police babes, but I haven't hit on 'any of em...out of self preservation.

I think I'll take one of my old (non-working) Olympus cameas on linea A

There are always tourists in the A Line, and you will be surprised what people will do if they discover that there is a thief inside the train.

I am assuming that this is a thread of caution, not fear.
The lesson is to be smart, don't carry anything expensive, don't show that you are carrying something expensive, keep English to a minimum, keep your eye on your belongings, carry a copy of your passport not the actual document unless buying electronics, be alert while walking at night if you must, if possible carry a dummy wallet and carry your bags/backpacks on your front.
Phew. I think that covers it. Anything to add?
Btw, recently there had been three shootings (mob related) within two or three blocks of my home and a woman was a victim of a hit and run. This was in a fairly quiet residential neighborhood. Crime is pretty much everywhere. Stay smart.

NYKate said:
I think that covers it. Anything to add?

Carry an AK-47. Hire John Rambo as bodyguard (failing that, resurrect Charles Bronson).

Unfortunately there is more edginess felt on the streets of Buenos Aires and this is a combination of many factors. I myself am always cautious but now I will be more so .

I believe that a larger crime wave is apparent worldwide and Europe is particularly getting worse. We must take precautions and always be street smart.

bigbadwolf said:
Carry an AK-47. Hire John Rambo as bodyguard (failing that, resurrect Charles Bronson).

What about Chuck Norris or, my personal fav, Dirty Harry? :p

Back