Crime hot-spots in the capital

igor said:
Steve,

First of all, it happened in Palermo.

Sense of safety is relative. In many cases your previous life experiences are used as a baseline. If you would tell me that somebody pulled a gun on somebody in Washington DC, I'd say so what? I doubt it will get on the front page of Washington Post, or that chief of DC police will be giving a press-conference about it any soon.

But when I hear stories about thousands of abandoned buildings in the downtown and hundreds of homeless children eating from piles of trash in front of Congreso, while trying to hide from sporadic automatic gun fire, I know that this is an articulate overstatement. But a person from Washington DC may take it seriously.

This site is one of the major news sources for expat community nowadays. Almost everything bad that happens to foreigners is reported here. When people stop writing about it, and consider crime to be normal, then I would say we are in trouble.

Igor, are refering to sporadic automatic gun fire in front of the Congreso in BA or the Capital in Washington DC?

I am happy that this site exists and that other expats report as much as they do here, but I doubt that a high percentage of foreigners in Argentina are actually members hof this site. I wish they were and I daresay that many of them would never have come to Argentina if they read the appropriate topics on this site prior to their arrival.

I arrived in BA almost six years ago and it was great at first. I joined the forum in July 2006. I lived in BA for four years and though I plan to stay in Argentina, I certainly would not move to BA today. I'm not saying no one should now, but I hope they have compelling reasons to do so...as well as a knowledge of self defense.

igor said:
San Nicolas is from Puerto Madero to Callao between Cordoba and Rivadavia.
It is nice to know that there is not just crime here, but "crime of all kinds". It must be worse than Detroit :). Actually, there are families with children eating ice cream outside of heladerias after the midnight. There are huge lines of nicely dressed people to the theaters on Corrientes right before the performances. They must be taking a break from permanent robberies and assaults.
David, you live in this area, right? In this apocalyptic world of brutal violence have you personally had any major problems? Except occasionally some bum asking you for a moneda?

First I mentioned a particular area of San Nicolás which is a problem, I didn't claim that the area I described was the entire stretch of San Nicolás.

I live in Congreso (Balvanera), right in front of it. And while personally I haven't been robbed, I've been followed and almost attacked, my downstairs neighbor's apartment was broken into (while she was home) and she was robbed at gunpoint, I was walking on Talcahuano (between Mitre & Perón) last week right when the jeweler was held up and killed the robber in self defense and saw the police remove the body bag and the Cronica cameras. Almost every local business I know has been robbed including a friend who has an antique shop and has been robbed 3 times in a year´s time. Lots of close calls but thank goodness I haven't been a victim in this area myself. The time I was personally robbed at gunpoint, I was in my shop (now closed) in Villa Urquiza. Because I live in front of Congreso I enjoy at least my block and the few around us that have almost permanent police presence. However crossing the plaza de Congreso past Rivadavia it's a whole different story. I wish it wasn't like this, but I am just going by what I see. Look, I am NOT leaving. I grew up in New York City in the 1970s and 1980s when New York was a disaster, murders, drugs, fiscal crisis, blackouts, riots, you name it. And I stayed, and it got better one day. I believe in Argentina and Buenos Aires and I believe that the people will one day take it back from the criminals and crooked politicians who allow us to live this way. The people will get to the boiling point and will reclaim their city and their country. I saw it happen in New York and I hope to god to see it here. I am a fighter and will not give up!

Davidglen77 said:
And while personally I haven't been robbed, I've been followed and almost attacked ...

This is probably the extent of negative personal experiences for the last 5 years that is not business-related.

When somebody runs a store it is a different risk category. I bet every gas station in the USA was robbed one time or another.

igor said:
This is probably the extent of negative personal experiences for the last 5 years that is not business-related.

When somebody runs a store it is a different risk category. I bet every gas station in the USA was robbed one time or another.

It may be that since I come from New York City, I have a different set of eyes and ears than many people do. I don't walk around showing ANY valuables, I never use a headset in the street (makes for an easy victim as they know you won't hear the approach until they are on top of you), I am hiper sensitive to bad vibes, and I avoid side streets at night. Doesn't mean I can't still be robbed, but I try to take as many precautions as possible.

igor said:
I bet every gas station in the USA was robbed one time or another.

I'll take that bet.

How much can you afford to lose?

(I don't want to take your last centavo.)

I bet a higher percentage of restaurant employees in BA don't wash thier hands after using the bathroom than gas stations are robbed in the USA.

At least there's usually soap and towels in gas station bathrooms in the USA.

(Can't say that about bathrooms in BA restaurants.)

PS: Are your hepatitis A & B vaccinations up to date?

Davidglen77 said:
One area that hasn't been mentioned is San Nicolás which is technically part of the centro and/or Congreso. It's the area delimited by Cerrito (9 de Julio) and Callao from Rivadavia (plaza del Congreso) to Av. Corrientes.
This is an area full of architectural treasures, some of which date from the late 1800's many neo-classical buildings from the early 1920's, the "belle epoque" of Buenos Aires, capital federal.
Unfortunately, this neighborhood has suffered many horrible problems and decay and is now full of abandoned buildings, people living in the streets, crime of all kinds, robberies and assaults on a daily basis, and things in this area are getting progressively worse. How can this be allowed to happen in the center of the city with so many tourists wandering around and taking pictures of the decay of the city? Why aren't the people living in the streets taken to some kind of shelter, with the amount of abandoned buildings around couldn't they be given some kind of shelter-even temporary until a better solution is found to their problem. There are 100s of children living in the streets and eating from garbage cans right in front of the Congreso building WHAT IS GOING ON WHERE ARE THE POLITICIANS NOW??

Something along the lines of this area (or very close by):

Last October I was walking from Plaza de Mayo towards 9 de Julio on a Sunday (the long weekend), and decided to avoid walking on Avenida de Mayo because of the throngs of tourists. I cut down a side street and then turned onto Rivadavia for a change of pace.

It being Sunday in this part of town, it was pretty quiet and there were maybe three or four other people in eye sight, but I always keep my guard up just in case (living in Baltimore trained me well :D) and I noticed a plaza on the right hand side named after Roberto Arlt.

For some odd reason that I still cannot justify, I decided to pop in and see what it was, but two Argentines sitting on the side of the path leading into the plaza looked at me and my danger-sense peaked. They didn't make any move and I acknowledged them, backed up a few steps towards the exit, and then one of them warned me not to go in and then explained that, that plaza was usually full of homeless, paco users, and other people who, they assured me, would rob me in a heartbeat.

Needless to say, I high tailed it out of there, crossed back over to Avenida de Mayo and kept going.

I had only been around the Congreso area once at night after visiting with a friend (who walked me to the bus stop, waited with me for an good 45 minutes for the damned thing to come), and I admit, the irony of seeing so many homeless right in front of the Congreso struck me as horrible. Right under the eye of the government and I often asked myself, "Do they have no shame seeing their fellow Argentines starve?"

I often ask myself that same question about the U.S. :eek: Different scale, but something very similar and it's absolutely heart wretching.

Oddly enough, thinking about it, I felt more unsafe (uncomfortable) walking around Palermo at night from time to time with a friend because of all the reports of motochorros taking advantage of the drunk university students... whereas walking around Boedo or sometimes Barracas felt less unnerving.

When I told a professor that, he just rolled his eyes. :rolleyes:

anabeeare said:
Something along the lines of this area (or very close by):
It being Sunday in this part of town, it was pretty quiet and there were maybe three or four other people in eye sight, but I always keep my guard up just in case (living in Baltimore trained me well :D) and I noticed a plaza on the right hand side named after Roberto Arlt.

For some odd reason that I still cannot justify, I decided to pop in and see what it was, but two Argentines sitting on the side of the path leading into the plaza looked at me and my danger-sense peaked. They didn't make any move and I acknowledged them, backed up a few steps towards the exit, and then one of them warned me not to go in and then explained that, that plaza was usually full of homeless, paco users, and other people who, they assured me, would rob me in a heartbeat. :rolleyes:

I know that Plaza Roberto Arlt very well, it's actually on the other side of the 9 de Julio and just a few blocks from the Casa Rosada and around the corner from the very famous "Café Tortoni". It's a VERY sad scene at that plaza, many homeless people including children living inside of it and the sidewalk in front, strewn with garbage, mattresses, and everything else. It reminds me of some of the parks in New York City in the late 1970s, Tompkins Square Park or Bryant Park, both of which are now PRISTINE green spaces. One day that will happen here too, this government is way too horrible to allow people to live in peace and enjoy their city.

Davidglen77 said:
WHAT IS GOING ON WHERE ARE THE POLITICIANS NOW??

Davidglen77 said:
One day that will happen here too, this government is way too horrible to allow people to live in peace and enjoy their city.

David, it looks like you got more argentine than your argentine friends.

anabeeare said:
I had only been around the Congreso area once at night after visiting with a friend (who walked me to the bus stop, waited with me for an good 45 minutes for the damned thing to come) ...

So, you can consider to get out at night to take a bus, when you know you'll be probably be waiting for it for 45 minutes.
Do you do this in unsafe areas of your hometown?

Back