Crime In B.a.

NJ boss country

Registered
Hello, I'm a newcomer, coming to b.a. To stay 1 yr.......I'm sure this has be talked about ad infintum but how much do I need to be concerned being around san telmo at night with wife particularly near the rest. Sagardi.....also around centro at night......I've read about crime in b.a. As horrible but is it any worse than say downtown Miami at night or lower manhatten......any insight on crime would be appreciated.....thank you

Some people say petty crime is high, some say it's the same as other US cities.. My opinion is that it's common, but people here are just used to it (it seems "normal" now, but most people seem to agree that it's noticeably worse that 8 or 10 years ago). Here's a recent thread on it, from this forum:

http://baexpats.org/topic/32412-anyone-else-experience-an-attempted-robbery-on-christmas/

Just pay attention when you walk around. Practice situational awareness. http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/practical-guide-situational-awareness

This is complicated because of the location you mention. On one hand I think Buenos Aires is a lot safer than Argentines (and people on this forum) claim. People here like to complain and to exaggerate. I've never had a problem in Buenos Aires and crime here is nothing compared to what you find in Rio for example. I've walked alone at night in San Telmo, downtown, and very often in Recoleta and Palermo. My mom visited me and I walked with her at night from Libertad all through Recoleta and never felt unsafe.

That said, the particular part of San Telmo you mention is as far as I know a little iffy. It is not far from Boca, which is dangerous. San Telmo in general is not perfectly OK. In the sense that while nothing happened to me while I walked through it at night, I nevertheless didn't feel great doing so, and had to be alert. I wouldn't take my mom to walk around there at night, and certainly not every night. This particular area you mention is not comparable to lower Manhattan, more like parts of Brooklyn that border on Bedstuy. (most of Recoleta and Palermo are as safe as Manhattan imo) So if you can manage living somewhere else I'd strongly advise that especially if you are with a woman. Centro will also be empty at night (but I've walked there and nothing happened to me).

I walk at night a lot (till 3am in summer). But I do not like to walk in San Telmo at night. After dark, San Telmo is a different barrio than day time. Centro is pretty bad at 2am, everything is closed,all you see is losers and male prostitues. If you like to walk at night, find a place in nicer part of Recoleta (Posadas, Quintana, Alvear, Cerrito) and nicer part of Palermo (there are many lousy parts of Palermo). So many places are called Palermo, it's ridiculous.

Thank you much...while in Paris, wife was nervous on subways and a few other places....if she was nervous there, I'm guessing she'll be nervous in b.a........never been mugged or robbed in all my travels, maybe just luck .......but looking forward to some time in b.a.

Thank you much...while in Paris, wife was nervous on subways and a few other places....if she was nervous there, I'm guessing she'll be nervous in b.a........never been mugged or robbed in all my travels, maybe just luck .......but looking forward to some time in b.a.
If you want to go to those restaurants, take a radio cab ( to come and go )

This is a tougher town than Paris for sure. Just restrict your walking areas at night. If you are scared by metro, take TAXI more. Taxi is a lot cheaper than Paris.
A friend of mine just came back from Paris, rented a 2 bedroom apt in 2nd district at $900 per night. Your $ goes a long way here, rent is so low relatively compared to other big cities.

I walk at night a lot (till 3am in summer). But I do not like to walk in San Telmo at night. After dark, San Telmo is a different barrio than day time. Centro is pretty bad at 2am, everything is closed,all you see is losers and male prostitues. If you like to walk at night, find a place in nicer part of Recoleta (Posadas, Quintana, Alvear, Cerrito) and nicer part of Palermo (there are many lousy parts of Palermo). So many places are called Palermo, it's ridiculous.

There are just as many if not more prostitutes in Recoleta as in microcentro

There are just as many if not more prostitutes in Recoleta as in microcentro

But they offer their services in cabarets like hippopotamus or black while in downtown they are just sat in any bar or in the street. Mainly those who are in the street are men dressed like women plus a lot of silicons.

If you live in Recoleta is super safe.

But they offer their services in cabarets like hippopotamus or black while in downtown they are just sat in any bar or in the street. Mainly those who are in the street are men dressed like women plus a lot of silicons.

If you live in Recoleta is super safe.

I don't know why people assume prostitutes are dangerous It's not the prostitutes in microcentro that make it a high risk zone at night. It's all the drug addicts taking paco that roam through the streets. I don't think anyone needs to worry about travestis either. I'm pretty sure they're not out to rob a tourist.

Back