Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Shooting

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other crime

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have not personally been a victim of a crime in BsAs

Votes: 28 22.8%

• Total voters
Tonight at Disco, I was behind a woman who looked about 70-75 years old. She moved so slowly and clumsily that at first I thought she was disabled, until I saw the huge, purple, softball-sized lump protruding out of her temple. Turns out she had been robbed and beaten by a couple of young guys. As I was helping her into the cab, I said, "Cuidese," and she responded, "ay, no te puedes cuidar en este pais, nena." Welcome to Buenos Aires, indeed.

There seem to have been a rise in crimes of late, robbery is now over 20%!

starlucia said:
Tonight at Disco, I was behind a woman who looked about 70-75 years old. She moved so slowly and clumsily that at first I thought she was disabled, until I saw the huge, purple, softball-sized lump protruding out of her temple. Turns out she had been robbed and beaten by a couple of young guys. As I was helping her into the cab, I said, "Cuidese," and she responded, "ay, no te puedes cuidar en este pais, nena." Welcome to Buenos Aires, indeed.

Why do you need to beat up an old lady in order to get her money?

That's awful.

4 teenagers put a knife to my throat back in June so I guess that's a vote for armed robbery.

2 "Capital" Crimes so far -

#1. Someone stole my user name then got sneaky and flipped it into Spanish (but the Dude, Dudester still perseveres....)

#2. Letting Madonna play Evita

I'll contribute to the laundry list. Well, the major things that I can think of that my partner and I have been subjected to during our time here since '06 (though nothing at all in over a year, thankfully!):

1) attacked outside of a villa with a knife (we got away with a bit of a fight, but were in the area because I was scoping out the location of an internship)
2) robbed at gunpoint by two women (part of a motochorro) at dusk on a well lit and populated street in San Telmo
3) had another attempted robbery of my purse walking home from dinner in Almagro (but succesfully fought off the guy--just one guy, no weapon)
4) had my wallet lifted from my purse in a bar while friends "watched" the bag while I was in the bathroom
5) have had three bicycles stolen
6) have had the "you just passed me a fake $100" scam from a taxi driver and/or otherwise been given fake change from taxistas
7) had attempted robbery of all our our valuables (cash, passports, laptops, camera, etc.) by *firemen* who entered our apartment when there we had a fire (fire was in another room in a shared apartment, but they entered the bedroom and started rifling through our things--thankfully we arrived in time to stop them and our roommates at the time stalled them until we could get there).

Have had many friends have similar experiences, including being beaten up, and have witnessed first hand either the victims of crime or the crime "in progress" (someone running down the street with a bag, someone bleeding from having been accosted, having an armed intruder force their way into their home, etc.).

Good times. I don't think we were ever not careful, but we've learned to be a lot MORE careful. Sometimes just walking with a bag is reason enough, though. Maybe ours were a lot of wrong place/wrong time or just bad luck. Regardless, I have never been the victim of ANY crime before coming here (besides my car window being broken for someone to steal a leather jacket I left inside) before moving here. Increasing insecurity is definitely part of why I'm finally ready to leave. Being pregnant at the moment doesn't help my worry about being a target!

Dudester said:
2 "Capital" Crimes so far -

#2. Letting Madonna play Evita

No one in the history of time could have been a more perfect choice to play Evita than Madonna.

They are twins separated at birth by ~39 years.

Rad said:
How often does something like this happen in BsAs?

New York: 31 people shot citywide in 48 hours
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/bulletfest_in_big_apple_byw44m9cllNj7rhDXYEDXK

Man opens fire at Brooklyn parade, toll rises to 46 shot since Saturday morning
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...n_parade_ra4iBVeaKOdhB5vLKBucaJ#ixzz1XF4Au5Pa

This one takes the cake! (Kentucky man shoots 12-year-old in the back with shotgun over game of Ding-Dong-Ditch)
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-06-15/news/29681636_1_kentucky-man-shotgun-doorbell

Back