Crime sensation and real crime! opinion

nicoenarg said:
Like you said, the fact remains that crime in Buenos Aires is worse, when it comes to muggings and robberies, as compared to major cities in the US (and I'd venture on to say, in other developed countries). And that is that.
And maybe that's the mistake people are making right there, assuming Argentina is a "developed" country, when getting away from the glittering store fronts and few nice neighbourhoods, it's fairly obviously not. Nairobi in Kenya is similar, there are some areas that put the best of BA to shame in how shiny and modern they are. But walk a few blocks and you're in no man's land, with far more chance of robbery, rape or death than BA will ever be.

So maybe folk need to reassess how "developed" they really think Argentina is, and have a more realistic sense of what to expect?

bomber said:
And maybe that's the mistake people are making right there, assuming Argentina is a "developed" country, when getting away from the glittering store fronts and few nice neighbourhoods, it's fairly obviously not. Nairobi in Kenya is similar, there are some areas that put the best of BA to shame in how shiny and modern they are. But walk a few blocks and you're in no man's land, with far more chance of robbery, rape or death than BA will ever be.

So maybe folk need to reassess how "developed" they really think Argentina is, and have a more realistic sense of what to expect?

Never said its a developed country. I just said "the US and other developed countries". Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Argentina is a third world country. That's understood.

Let's make this clear: Crime in Buenos Aires is getting worse compared to the situation before. I am comparing it with Buenos Aires of before to now.

boiling-frogs-300x300.jpg

earlyretirement said:
Your chances of being mugged or especially shot in the USA are so very remote. I'll give you that your chances of getting shot in Buenos Aires are very very low since not too many carry handguns but the chances of getting mugged are so much higher in Buenos Aires.

Are you from the US? Aren't you more likely to be mugged in Philly, Baltimore, San Francisco, LA, Detroit, Chicago, Houston, etc. than in Buenos Aires?

earlyretirement said:
Buenos Aires is far from the worst cities in the world when it comes to crime. Much of South America is much worse. Or Africa or the Middle East as well as other places.

The Middle East? Are you referring to countries/cities that are currently active war zones?

demokritos said:
Are you from the US? Aren't you more likely to be mugged in Philly, Baltimore, San Francisco, LA, Detroit, Chicago, Houston, etc. than in Buenos Aires?

Yes, I'm from the USA but lived in Argentina many years. NO, I don't believe that in comparable areas in those cities your chances of being mugged are higher.

Remember you can NOT go by statistics you see published in the paper in Buenos Aires. The big difference is in the USA, almost EVERY single person that gets mugged reports it. Without question. So the statistics are accurate.

In Buenos Aires the statistics are NOT accurate. Maybe 5 out of 100 people actually report the crime. If that. In Buenos Aires, I'm not hanging out in sketchy areas, just as when I go to Chicago, Baltimore, San Francisco, Houston, etc. do I hang out in sketchy areas.

I don't think it's a good idea in either places to talk about odds of getting shot because the risks of that in either country I think is very remote. But if you are talking about muggings.....your chances are much higher in Buenos Aires when you account for reality.

You can't go by statistics in Argentina. Just about ANY # you see the government put out is tainted and not true. You can only go by reality.

Crime in the USA has decreased over the past decade for the most part. But crime in Argentina has increased.

Again, remember that the vast majority of robberies in Buenos Aires are NOT reported.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Argentina/United-States/Crime

This is fairly old data I think from 2006 but even taking in account the data is old and that very few people actually report robberies and also that crime since 2006 has decreased in the USA and it has increased in Argentina and you'll see on this chart that back in 2006 Argentina still was ranked higher in robberies than the USA per capita.

It's worse now.

And demokritos, I was including active war zones in the Middle East. Honestly, I don't know much about the Middle East as it's one of the few places I haven't been to. I know for the most part in non war zone countries, it's supposed to be fairly safe due to the harsh penalties.... but I have several friends and clients that have had problems in Egypt, Yemen and a few other countries.

earlyretirement said:
And demokritos, I was including active war zones in the Middle East. Honestly, I don't know much about the Middle East as it's one of the few places I haven't been to. I know for the most part in non war zone countries, it's supposed to be fairly safe due to the harsh penalties.... but I have several friends and clients that have had problems in Egypt, Yemen and a few other countries.

The only places safe and liveable in the Middle East are the 5 (out of 6, you've got to be an idiot to want to live in Saudi Arabia) GCC countries. UAE, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, and Kuwait. But there are a lot of restrictions and a lot of encroachment on personal freedoms in those countries and eventually, if you care about personal freedom, the safety against crime is not worth giving up your freedoms for.

The rest of the Middle East is a hellhole that I wouldn't wanna be found in even by accident.

If we're talking about freedoms then compared to the Middle East, Buenos Aires is heavenly!

Do you people are aware that the few crime statistics collected by the Police must stick to predetermined quotas?

No Comisario wants his precinct to lead in any type of violent crime. Others are moved from one column to another with creative wording when superior orders demand it. The ministry will not tolerate some shit and ignore others.

If you are in speaking terms with a cop or many, just ask them the right questions and they´ll tell you.

Back