Cristina asks AFIP to investigate man who commented for newspaper article

Instead of Cristina responding to his argument (which is true, by the way) that no one is buying/selling properties, she decides to attack the messenger. The fact that this guy didn't pay taxes has nothing to do with the argument that the dollar controls have totally paralyzed the real estate market.[/quote]

It is so interesting how Bajo_cero sees the logic in Cristinas actions. To me it represents exactly a key difference in in how expats treat politics and life. Person A criticizes President..instead of responding to the criticism she attacks him in a peripheral way..because she can. That is so Argentinean...the need to "destroy the enemy" irrespective of the validity of the argument they present ..you see it time and time again - Carrio a viable running mate 8 years ago - take her to court over her personal finances, DeNarvaez was a somewhat successful opponent 4 years ago - link him to drug dealing. Macri likewise - link him to phone tapping. CFK is so weak as a debater and politician. I don't doubt she's smart..shame she rarely shows it in a dignified way these days...

Everyone should pay the taxes they owe. But tax collection should be like justice - applied equally and impartially to everyone using the same methodology. In neither case should politics enter into the equation. Here in Christina's Argentina, everything gets mixed up. The fact that the head of state would name - on television - an individual citizen.... not only is it disturbing, and clearly meant to intimidate, but it's also pathetic. AFIPs credibility is at stake. The last thing you want in a country with such rampant evasion is to give people yet another reason to be cynical about tax collection.

BienTeVeo said:
Everyone should pay the taxes they owe. But tax collection should be like justice - applied equally and impartially to everyone using the same methodology. In neither case should politics enter into the equation. Here in Christina's Argentina, everything gets mixed up. The fact that the head of state would name - on television - an individual citizen.... not only is it disturbing, and clearly meant to intimidate, but it's also pathetic. AFIPs credibility is at stake. The last thing you want in a country with such rampant evasion is to give people yet another reason to be cynical about tax collection.

Google David Cameron and Jimmy Carr !

Since when did AFIP have any credibility?
This government has pressed the FEAR button and it's too late for them to turn back.

It is not a certainty that this outspoken real estate agent hasn't paid taxes. It has not gone through a court, nothing has been proven as yet. He may still have paid his taxes, we don't know that yet. You pay your taxes then you follow through & make a sworn statement that you have done so. He may have paid his taxes but has as yet not signed the statement...then again I may have heard wrong.

Many years ago in California when I was very young and dumb, state taxes were paid/filed annually, no payroll deductions. Much like Argentina is today I think. Anyway, this young and dumb kid for whatever reason decided he would not file and pay state taxes on my income. One day I received a telephone call from the state tax people asking me why I did not file and pay my taxes. I, in so many words told them where they could stick their state income tax. Well, next payday I learned a very valuable lesson, pay your taxes. Without any notice, court hearing or whatever, the state garnished my wages and Gomer was going to go without for quite awhile. Do not know how the rest of the world deals with taxes, but in the USA, forget your rights, the Constitution, you are guilty until proven innocent. Tax man holds all the cards. Argentina does not have the market cornered on the ruthlessness of the Tax Man. Compassion is not in their vocabulary.

solerboy said:
Google David Cameron and Jimmy Carr !

Why is everyone acting as though @JimmyCarr has killed a baby?! Because babies die in underfunded hospitals.’ - alledged tweet after recent furore...

fifs2 said:
It is so interesting how Bajo_cero sees the logic in Cristinas actions. To me it represents exactly a key difference in in how expats treat politics and life. Person A criticizes President..instead of responding to the criticism she attacks him in a peripheral way..because she can. That is so Argentinean...the need to "destroy the enemy" irrespective of the validity of the argument they present ..you see it time and time again - Carrio a viable running mate 8 years ago - take her to court over her personal finances, DeNarvaez was a somewhat successful opponent 4 years ago - link him to drug dealing. Macri likewise - link him to phone tapping. CFK is so weak as a debater and politician. I don't doubt she's smart..shame she rarely shows it in a dignified way these days...

With all my respect, it is all about tax evading. Argentine used to buy dollars to evade tax. And they used those dollars to buy real state to evade tax. So, the dollar corralito is all about to avoid them to evade tax, the same about to buy dollars without cash.

And even they use euphemism, they are complaining because she doesn t allow them to evade in peace.

And this real state agent just confirmed that she was right about to pesifying the real state industry that in fact, was a black money washing industry.

Whoever who doesn t pay their taxes is out of busisness. He was stupid enough to take attention on him instead of keeping low profile.

Regards

In future, when there are no more dollars left in Argentina, will it not be just as convenient to convert pesos into real estate to avoid tax ?

And with more urgency too.

Back