CUIT = wholesale?

cassiem13

Registered
Hi all,

Just wondering if I would be able to buy things wholesale, or "por mayor" with my CUIT number? Also, I know there is the restaurant supply district, but does anyone know where I can buy edibles in bulk / wholesale (flour, sugar, etc...)? I´m also still on the lookout for cake delivery box type things...

Gracias!

I'm not sure about the CUIT, but you can buy a lot of stuff in bulk at Vital- it's like a Sam's Club or Costco. I don't think there's any requirement to shop there, but there is a minumum purchase of 150 pesos. The one I know of is in Almagro on Sarmiento but I can't remember the exact address.

cassiem13 yes you can.

But be careful, if your activity declared is incompatible with what you are buying you could have some trouble with AFIP or your accountant. For eg. I work as a private consultant, there's no way I can justify buying at a supermarket with type A invoice in order to recover VAT.

I forgot to mention. You should buy at DIARCO. There are many.

Thanks, all! Yes, my CUIT is for an English professor, so.. I can see how that might be a problem. Will AFIP come after me, though? Could I just change my categoria and get more facturas? The CUIT number would stay the same, as they didn't ask my profession when they issued it. Hmm.. I'm not looking to buy wholesale for myself, but for another business venture I'm thinking of starting. Is DIARCO wholesale only? And I'll definitely check out Vital, that sounds like the easier way to go. I'd rather not get the CUIT involved, and just keep things simple, but just thought that might be a nice perk of having the number...

My understanding is that having a CUIT might get you registered in some wholesale places, but not because they won't sell it to you wholesale otherwise, but because you can get the taxes back, and that is a completely separate issue. As bloody_bloo said, just like in the US, when you count purchases against your VAT, it is supposed to be for your business. Hosting a large dinner for your students sounds like a business expense to me...

The CUIT is used to avoid paying taxes twice- but I have found that many places will sell to you at wholesale prices, as long as you are buying wholesale amounts.
My wife is doing a line of clothing using fabric that is woven here, and she has had no problem whatsoever buying at wholesale without a CUIT- as long as she makes their minimums. She can get the factories to sell her material by the bolt, but of course they would not want to be bothered to sell by the yard.

I think many other por mayor suppliers would be similar. Buy enough, and most will sell to you.

Ries said:
The CUIT is used to avoid paying taxes twice- but I have found that many places will sell to you at wholesale prices, as long as you are buying wholesale amounts.
My wife is doing a line of clothing using fabric that is woven here, and she has had no problem whatsoever buying at wholesale without a CUIT- as long as she makes their minimums. She can get the factories to sell her material by the bolt, but of course they would not want to be bothered to sell by the yard.

I think many other por mayor suppliers would be similar. Buy enough, and most will sell to you.

I also buy wholesale (when I buy enough), but not tax free.

No, not tax free. To avoid the taxes, you need the CUIT, but, of course, that means you have to pay the taxes later.
But I have found that wholesale prices are usually so much less that the taxes are not a very big percentage.
In the USA, it used to be that wholesale to retail markup was a universal 100%.
Now, though, a lot of stuff in the US is only marked up 50%, or even less, especially in really competitive markets like electronics or media.

But I have found wholesale in Argentina is often much less than 50% of retail- since there are often more middlemen involved, with the factory selling to a master distributor, who in turn sells to a neighborhood distributor, who sells to a store- and so if you take the time to track down stuff, assuming it is Industria Argentina, the wholesale prices can often be very low.

Yes, Ries, I was just confirming that my experience was the same as yours.

Back