Curry Cuestion?

Thank you all for your encouragement and advise. so looking forward to starting my tiny setup here! @Ceviche: yes you are right actually that is important because in my time here I have realized that its not easy to get even some basic ingredients of Asian food. like if I found corriender I cant find mint and if found clove then I cant find green cardamom. @Lucha54 and IAButto I will wait for your order then :). @Dublin2BuenosAires: where and how do I find this BA Underground market? @nlaruccia: I will! @Bajo_Cero2: I will remember that..

You can just about get everything from Barrio Chino. Sometimes you have to go to more than one supermarket to get everything. I went last night to get ingredients for an Indian curry.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: jpw
Honestly, I know it's a lot more work, but I wouldn't try to do business unless you have a mild (EXTREMELY mild) option for locals. They won't eat anything that's even remotely spicy. Just to give you an example (and this is coming from someone who really dislikes spicy food (no offense)), I went to TGI Friday's and ordered one of my favorites, Chicken Cajun Pasta, being the sissy I am back home I ALWAYS ask the waiters to go easy on the cajun stuff (otherwise I can't really enjoy it). I tried that here and I got a plain chicken breast (I was like what, that's nice but I did want some, then the waitress said she skipped it because it was too spicy I was like I know, but...). Well, I got them to put some of the stuff on it and it really lacked the cajun flavor tbh, they put a ridiculously small amount. Next time I ordered it I didn't say anything. I got a plate with 10% of the condiment I normally get when I ask them to go easy on it back home. It's really an extreme aversion down here. Just telling you this so you will keep it in mind. No matter how many jolly expats you get to order your spicy curry, if you want it to take off, you need to rely a lot on locals. Maybe have a totally mild, a medium and a "get the pink stuff" version of your curry. If you end up offering a mild version, I will surely order from you.

There is a niche market here, don't be put off. The majority don't eat spicey, but their is a small enough portion of locals + some expats that do. Mumbai restaurant and Tandoori restaurant both are regularly busy and have hot and less hot options.

I truly believe the first person to open a restaurant focused on hot/picante food will do a great trade. You only need to appeal to your niche market and then start to draw in those who might like it or want to appear trendy! There are millions in this city, you only need a few thousand returning customers as a target market to kick off a one man delivery show.

Get cooking.

There is a niche market here, don't be put off. The majority don't eat spicey, but their is a small enough portion of locals + some expats that do. Mumbai restaurant and Tandoori restaurant both are regularly busy and have hot and less hot options.

I truly believe the first person to open a restaurant focused on hot/picante food will do a great trade. You only need to appeal to your niche market and then start to draw in those who might like it or want to appear trendy! There are millions in this city, you only need a few thousand returning customers as a target market to kick off a one man delivery show.

Get cooking.

Coudn't agree more.

International man is talking total bollocks! do not pay heed to his/her suggestion for even one second. Go as per advise of Dublin2BA.

Just cater to the niche market and to hell with sissy locals who have allergy to spices. If you are able to cook genuine ( not only spicy) but genuine spicy tasty food, I am sure u will have regular set of niche customers who will return to you often.

Tandoor etc are OK restaurants but in all honesty even they are not serving 100% genuine Indian food. Their is a big demand by 1000's of Americans/British living here for genuine spicy delicous Indian food. if you are able to show good work ethics, deliver clean appetiizing food, their is no reason for u, not to succeed. If you take shortcuts, do not add proper codiments and sell substandard/stale/10 days in fridge stuff, u will not have return customers.

Do not worry about locals. Most of them will never be yr return customers. They are just curious of about Indian food. Its like a 'tick mark' they have to put on their life agenda.. Yes, I ate spiceless tasteless Indian food once! Forget about them. Cater to expats! And believe you me, city is full of expats looking for delicous food!

Genuine spicy delicious Indian food should be yr forte which would immediately set you apart from all the substandard Indian restaurants in the city.

And keep prices as low as possible initially. The Indian restuarants have gone crazy with prices. Beat them on the prices as well till you establish a name for yrself.

Coudn't agree more.

International man is talking totally bollocks! do not pay heed to his/her suggestion for even one second. Go as per advise of Dublin2BA.

Just cater to the niche market and to hell with sissy locals who have allergy to spices. If you are able to cook genuine ( not only spicy) but genuine spicy tasty food, I am sure u will have regular set of niche customers who will return to you often.

Tandoor etc are OK restaurants but in all honesty even they are not serving 100% genuine Indian food. Their is a big demand by 1000's of Americans/British living here for genuine spicy delicous Indian food. if you are able to show good work ethics, deliver clean appetiizing food, their is no reason for u, not to succeed. If you take shortcuts, do not add proper codiments and sell substandard stuff, u will not have return customers.

Do not worry about locals. Most of them will never be yr return customers. They are just curious of about Indian food. Its like a 'tick mark' they have to put on their life agenda.. Yes, I ate spiceless tasteless Indian food once! Forget about them. Cater to expats! And believe you me, city is full of expats looking for delicous food!

Genuine spicy delicious Indian food should be yr forte which would immediately set you apart from all the substandard Indian restaurants in the city.

I guess I'm as much a man as I am a guy. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way Ceviche. I didn't realize that spicy food is like the new topic to avoid (so controversial apparently). If you read properly I said he should have BOTH. No reason to alienate 8 million sissies with allergies and at least 50% of us expats who prefer not to eat fire.

Coudn't agree more.

International man is talking totally bollocks! do not pay heed to his/her suggestion for even one second. Go as per advise of Dublin2BA.

Tandoor etc are OK restaurants but in all honesty even they are not serving 100% genuine Indian food. Their is a big demand by 1000's of Americans/British living here for genuine spicy delicous Indian food. if you are able to show good work ethics, deliver clean appetiizing food, their is no reason for u, not to succeed. If you take shortcuts, do not add proper codiments and sell substandard stuff, u will not have return customers.

there are a small band a hot food appreciating locals. I trade indian spices from Sabores de India (cuidad del paz y pampa) with a sort of family member here...he sorts me out with chimichurri laden with pickled chilli (it is extremely hot, and very tasty!) made by the doorman to his office and I send him whatever spices i lay my hands to in the Indian supplies shop nr me.

If you look hard enough you can find some reassuringly picante carne picante empanadas too.

I guess I'm as much a man as I am a guy. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way Ceviche. I didn't realize that spicy food is like the new topic to avoid (so controversial apparently). If you read properly I said he should have BOTH. No reason to alienate 8 million sissies with allergies and at least 50% of us expats who prefer not to eat fire.

No offense taken , bro.

But lets just agree to disagree on this particular topic.

And those who like mild food, their are 100's of options in the city and henceforth the point of a niche market for this guy.

You can just about get everything from Barrio Chino. Sometimes you have to go to more than one supermarket to get everything. I went last night to get ingredients for an Indian curry.
Good luck and keep us posted!

If you live far from Belgano like me you don't even need to go to Barrio Chino for a lot of stuff - for fresh herbs just ask around your local verdulerias - many won't have much beyond basil and parsley but many will or will at least be happy to get some in for you the next day. Also ask the Peruvian and Bolivian women that sell vegetables on the street - they often have mint, cilantro along with huacatay and hierba buena - those with the best range of goods (outside of the Bolivian market in Liniers or the Bolivian wholesalers in Mercado Central) are next to the Abasto shopping centre right near the big Coto. Also they are often present (in an unofficial capacity) at the produce fairs that move around the city throughout the week (see FIAB here )

For spices ask around at dieteticas - often they don't look like they have much but ask anyway - I can get green cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and more without trekking to Belgrano. When I do go to Belgrano its usually to first visit Sabores de la India where you can get kalonji, curry leaves, fenugreek leaves, chapati flour, ghee and generally better quality/more fragrant spices.

Back