Curry Cuestion?

I am overwhelmed with all the help and ideas im getting from everyone here ... @Dublin2BuenosAires: perhaps I should @lucha54: thank you and yes I will be visiting there as well @BorrachoBritanico: yes im learning about this place more each day @Internationalguy @Dublin2BuenosAires @Ceviche : I respect each one of your opinion but yes I do have an idea of what I really want to do here and that is to introduce the curry that we make and eat back home not the corporate type but the actual stuff. I have been to Tandoor and yes I know what you are saying about the food there. I have also seen what some Americans think is curry powder is actually what we call at home Chaat Masala which is eaten with fruits. It seems like so many are selling a lot for their own convenience. Having said that im not here to challenge anyone's business or its ideas. Just looking forward to introducing my own. I believe I make the second best curry in the world, first is my mom :D . @Pauper: I have heard about Sabores de India a lot but yet have to go there ... so far im just doing the research and ground work and planning to start with little. I don't live in Belgrano but will visit there specially for this purpose. I live in Balvanera and btw this amigo is an amiga as in not a he but she.

I am overwhelmed with all the help and ideas im getting from everyone here ... @Dublin2BuenosAires: perhaps I should @lucha54: thank you and yes I will be visiting there as well @BorrachoBritanico: yes im learning about this place more each day @Internationalguy @Dublin2BuenosAires @Ceviche : I respect each one of your opinion but yes I do have an idea of what I really want to do here and that is to introduce the curry that we make and eat back home not the corporate type but the actual stuff. I have been to Tandoor and yes I know what you are saying about the food there. I have also seen what some Americans think is curry powder is actually what we call at home Chaat Masala which is eaten with fruits. It seems like so many are selling a lot for their own convenience. Having said that im not here to challenge anyone's business or its ideas. Just looking forward to introducing my own. I believe I make the second best curry in the world, first is my mom :D . @Pauper: I have heard about Sabores de India a lot but yet have to go there ... so far im just doing the research and ground work and planning to start with little. I don't live in Belgrano but will visit there specially for this purpose. I live in Balvanera and btw this amigo is an amiga as in not a he but she.

Best of luck. I will recommend you to anyone I can and will take any spicy loving friends that may come visit.

Reactions: jpw

Hi JPW,

Actually I don't agree that your market is predominantly expat. Cocina Sunae has been offering genuine South East Asian cooking for some years now (it's a Puerta Cerrada) and if you go in the winter you will see that 95% of her clientele are Argentine, who she has "trained" to appreciate spicier food over the years. She is very successful and now apparently about to open a formal restaurant. Also there is a difference between spicy, as in strong flavours of different spices (which the Argentines do like) and picante, as in it may burn your mouth even in small quantities if you are not accustomed to it. I have been cooking spicy food (and picante) for my Argy friends for 4 years now, and every year find more people that like it hot! And if you use coconut based sauces, you can always add more coconut milk to cool things down without destroying the flavour balance.

Anyway, I am interested in your idea. As I come from an Anglo Indian family, I miss curry. I do actually think that Tandoor is good, Mumbai much less so. But I would love to hook up to with with someone who cooks her mum's curries!! Perhaps I can help. I am opening a little Bed and Breakfast in Alto Palermo in 4 weeks time. P[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]art of my plan is that of restaurant / food business incubator, as I am convinced that gastronomy in BA is going to change dramatically over the next ten years. I am putting in a kitchen that will easily cater for 40 people (as will my dining room) and intend to do a puerta cerrada / pop-up restaurant there with a few friends who are studying at the IAG (but under my flavour control). Also I want to encourage other cooks, especially ethnic, who don't have the kitchen or dining facilities, to do their own pop ups. It's may be a great way to build up a following with no risk and get your name out there (which would help with jobs later). The idea is that once we develop a following for a chef/food type/ food business, I then put together a consortium of investors to back an independent site for the business and provide all the business skills that the Chef may not have. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I can guarantee that if we do curry night, we will have a full house! Though probably best to start small and build up. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Also, as my B&B only officially offers breakfast, the cooking facilities should be largely available during the day. If you want to do catering it might be ideal. I will have six hobs, a 2 hob "plancha", big gas oven and big convection oven. While I didn't have room for a fast chiller, I am putting in an ice machine so you would have kilos of ice for fast chilling, which is vital for safe packaging of delivery food. I am talking to a number of people who are in your kind of business and may wish to do some kind of joint venture or rental. I have even got my official Argentine food hygiene qualification!!![/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Anyway, PM me if any of the above might be of interest.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Suerte[/background]

Why limit yourself? Offer curries in both taste ranges. You def would have a market for the spicier varieties with expats and some locals alike but if you also offer a milder version, you broaden your potential client base. And internationalguy is correct when saying *most* (not all but most) Argentines won't go near spicy. So do both if possible. And keep us posted - I know I would order in a heartbeat, esp if you offer truly spicy options.

Funny side note - I went out for Indian at a new restaurant last week on Humboldt/El Salavador. I asked for my dish to be spicy. And not spicy for Argentines but spicy for extranjeros. I got a dish that was really not very spicy. Tasty yes, spicy no. When the waitress came to check, she asked if it was too much. I told her that really, it wasn't spicy at all. She laughed and said she had told the chef what I wanted but he didn't believe her since no one in Argentina understood what spicy meant. My advice to her was if an extranjero asked for spicy, the chef needed to actually make it spicy since many of us do like it to be truly picante.

The Indian Curry are the original and genuine stuff. But in Japan we consider the Japanised ways of curry cooking one of national dishes of the country, along the Sushis, the Tempura, the Teriyaki and all sorts of Sashimi/broiled fishes and other cooking amongst the thousand recipe available throughout Japan and methods as well. I cook the Japanese trended curry at home very often, and very easy to cook also. Just get the _curry paste_ among the hundreads of food house brands available.

Too bad that the Hindus does not consume Beef nor Pork in their ingredient for the curry, for me the chicken only curry for most part Ok but soon get too long on the tooth! But in Japan, we eat all sort of meats as you the westerners.

Japanese curry is thicker and sweeter than Indian curry and is always served with a bed of rice.
In a country where you can get everything from hamburgers to underwear out of a vending machine, it’s no surprise that home cooks have many instant options that make “cooking” a meal as simple as slice and bake cookies. For some dishes like カレーライス (karei raisu), it’s become the accepted norm to combine a brick of flavouring with some meat and veggies, and preparing them from scratch is almost unheard of.

Like many foods in Japan (tempura is actually Portuguese), curry is a dish that was imported from another part of the world (presumably India). Typically the mix comes in segmented bars like chocolate that you break off and add to a pot of meat, veggies and water. Japanese curry is sweeter, milder and thicker than Indian curries and used to be one of my favourite dishes growing up.

I haven’t made Japanese curry since I started blogging since using packaged food is against the very ethos of this blog. Last night, I fixed that by figuring out how to make it from scratch. For those that love the packaged curry, the taste and texture are similar, but the flavours are brighter and more intense. It has an almost creamy quality about it that the packaged kind just doesn’t have.

For those that have never had Japanese curry, this dish is chock full of big tender chunks of meat and potatoes, all covered in a slightly sweet sauce that’s redolent of caramelized onions, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg.
The best part is that this requires only a little more effort than using the packaged variety and almost no extra time (since you make the roux while the veggies and meat are cooking).

For vegetarians, just double the amount of caramelized onions and replace some of the meat with firm tofu. In my hunger, I totally forgot to add the peas, so you’ll just have to imagine how great this dish looks with little bubbles of green popping out of the dark sauce.

http://norecipes.com/blog/karei-raisu-japanese-curry-rice/#sthash.qs4SoZcj.dpbs

for Japanese curry pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=curry+dishes+pictures&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS377US377&oq=curry+dishes+pictures&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j0.456173j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=81a8a24fe9757c8c&q=japanese+curry+dishes+pictures

Have been watching Rick Steine search for the perfect curry,an english word,in Indian,on the bbc.Very interesting,not just a cookery series.I have been eating Phall of late which can make yer teeth burn!!I can get spice in kilo catering quantities at a very reasonable price,postage adds to the price but the spices are top class and fresh,if anyone is interested?There is a nice spice mix for sheekh/shami kebabs which might be more to the argie taste,although my ex-novias hijo was partial to the picante.
Has anyone one of you lot been to the British Mash Curry house in Mexico entre chacabuco and bolivar something like that,called in one day but never got round to sampling the fare.

Reactions: jpw
@mano negra, fantastic offer, will PM you on it. @citygirl yes it is true of Argentina, so far I haven't met a single Argentine person who has told me they don't want to eat curry or don't like it, my babysitter loves my curries and says her dad loves the spicy food just to name a few. And about chilli, I don't but my mother is one of those who eats green chilli chutney for breakfast even but when I cook for my kids I try to tone it down little still I make sure they are rooted to the taste @hybrid ambassador: I love eating Japanese tempura prawns ... on another note some of us from India and Pakistan are not all that limited to cooking and eating beef or pork, I for one have no religious reservation or obligation to cooking or serving neither but yes we are few!

Back