Customs At Eze Getting Tough

There has to be some change, since my girlfriend was for first time asked some questions about what she is transporting. Now it was one old monitor, but they checked it. Never happened to us before, so maybe it's good to consider this for the future.

What is a detailled examination?

The problem I have is not that they would check stuff but that the rules should be more defined. For example, when I travel back to the UK next time I will be buying a new laptop, smartphone, and probably a PS4 for my kid. Those are things that are too expensive to buy here. Proving they are mine should be easy enough, but are they hooking up PS4's in the airport to see if they are new or used? I doubt it, so how far can you go to prove they are yours and are not going to be sold?

What is a detailled examination?

The problem I have is not that they would check stuff but that the rules should be more defined. For example, when I travel back to the UK next time I will be buying a new laptop, smartphone, and probably a PS4 for my kid. Those are things that are too expensive to buy here. Proving they are mine should be easy enough, but are they hooking up PS4's in the airport to see if they are new or used? I doubt it, so how far can you go to prove they are yours and are not going to be sold?

Even if you have used it but bring it in the country for the first time, the value of yr goods is above the maximum allowed value, you do have to pay duty.

On other hand if you own something in buenos aires and traveling with it abroad, you can get that item noted down ( serial number etc) with customs so when you return with it..you dont have to pay duty.

Even if you have used it but bring it in the country for the first time, the value of yr goods is above the maximum allowed value, you do have to pay duty.

On other hand if you own something in buenos aires and traveling with it abroad, you can get that item noted down ( serial number etc) with customs so when you return with it..you dont have to pay duty.

Is that the same for tourists. Someone coming for two weeks who brings over the value in personal items have to pay the duty?

Is that the same for tourists. Someone coming for two weeks who brings over the value in personal items have to pay the duty?

yes, even for tourists. the law of the land is applicable to everyone entering the country.

In some countries the custom limits differ for residents and tourists.

Only thing in past, the customs was giving a blind eye ( especially to tourists) . but with new govt, there is a school of thought that the customs are more alert and may impose the existing laws.

I have found them to be more strict also.

In December, they confiscated a bag of dried black beans...

In May, they confiscated four blocks of Canadian cheddar cheese.

I didn't realize that either were verboten.

Only thing in past, the customs was giving a blind eye ( especially to tourists) . but with new govt, there is a school of thought that the customs are more alert and may impose the existing laws.

Probably more a case of customs playing silly beggars in order to attract bad publicity for Macri. Wouldn't surprise me if they are all K supporters.

I have found them to be more strict also.

In December, they confiscated a bag of dried black beans...

In May, they confiscated four blocks of Canadian cheddar cheese.

I didn't realize that either were verboten.
Funny story....WE brought some cheese in a year ago and customs sent an ag guy over to question us. He asked where the cheese was from, we said Costco and he laughed and said no problem. T/

What is the maximum value allowed?

What You Can Take into Argentina -- Travelers entering Argentina can bring personal effects -- including clothes, jewelry, and professional equipment such as cameras and computers -- without paying duty. In addition, they can bring in 21 liters of alcohol, 400 cigarettes, and 50 cigars duty-free
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
  • 400 cigarettes and 50 cigars.
  • 2 litre of alcoholic spirits.
  • Up to 5 kilograms of canned food.
  • Gifts and presents to the value of $300.00 (Three hundred US Dollars)
No mention of personal effects.

If the limit if $300.00 even for personal effects, it means even a businessman coming to the country with a single laptop (no phone, watch, or anything else) will pay 50% of the value?[/background]​

If the limit if $300.00 even for personal effects, it means even a businessman coming to the country with a single laptop (no phone, watch, or anything else) will pay 50% of the value?

No, the $300 limit applies to new items. Your previously used personal effects (such as laptop, phone, watch, etc.) are not included in the $300.

If you bring more than one used phone or laptop you might get some scrutiny. Some expats have posted that they have brought two laptops and told customs that one is for business and the other is for personal use and did not have a problem. Of course that could change, but having one watch, one phone, and one laptop for personal use won't result in any charges.
emo32.gif

Back